Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby wildbourgman » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 10:11:33

rockdoc123 wrote:
PCR explains how the US economy is nothing but a manipulated hall of mirrors. We live in a world of complete unreality. It's all a house of cards that will inevitably collapse as it's in the process of doing now. And absolutely every word that comes out of the media is a lie.


Good grief. Give your head a shake.

Image


I think there's a third choice just swap the word malice for conspiracy in the below quote. The Dotcom bubble, the housing bubble, the ongoing shale bubble none of them are due to conspiracy.

"Never Attribute to Malice That Which Is Adequately Explained by Stupidity"
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun 07 Jul 2013, 09:05:52

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby EdwinSm » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 11:11:24

It is jobs growth, but not what was expected. Maybe the trade war is beginning to hit home.

The US economy created far fewer jobs than expected last month and wages also rose less than forecast.

Some 75,000 jobs were created in May rather than the 185,000 expected by analysts, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said.

The dollar dropped as markets assumed that the slower-than-expected job growth meant a rate cut by the US Federal Reserve was more likely.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48557549
EdwinSm
Coal
Coal
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Thu 07 Jun 2012, 03:23:59

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby Cog » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 12:41:30

The stock market has been up this entire week. Perhaps Trump should make more overseas trips. ;) This "crash" has sure been a strange one. Glad I'm not shorting the market, as the doomers here are most assuredly doing.
User avatar
Cog
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 12450
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Northern Kekistan

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby wildbourgman » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 13:08:52

Cog, markets that swing wildly are not considered healthy. I wouldn't hang my hat on volatility being a good sign.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun 07 Jul 2013, 09:05:52

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 13:28:51

And Cog, assuming no full on collapse happens, do you think the downward slope of peak oil will be conducive to investing when this implies a contracting economy? Who wants to invest or lend in a contracting economy? Not smart people.
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
User avatar
onlooker
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 10454
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 14:00:30

Revi wrote:It's interesting that we can be both in the best economy of all time, and also in a worldwide downturn at the same time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petergeorg ... d0d1d660b7

Around here it's very difficult for most people, and from what I've heard LA is no better. There is a real problem with homelessness and it's growing.


Not growing all that much, and the trend has been quite positive. Will take quite a bit of time to get as bad as it was under the Obama administration even.

Image

Revi wrote:It costs an average of $2000 a month for rent in LA, so unless the poor come up with $2000 they can't even have a place to lay their head. If the schlock market goes down and the "best economy" goes down it gets even worse.


Having investigated housing costs in Maine as part of my research for moving back east, I don't think Mainers can claim to live in a cheap housing environment.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 14:02:46

onlooker wrote:And Cog, assuming no full on collapse happens, do you think the downward slope of peak oil will be conducive to investing when this implies a contracting economy? Who wants to invest or lend in a contracting economy? Not smart people.


What peak oil? The one claimed by "experts" to have happened more than a decade ago now (as long as they only count some of the oil of course)?

Perhaps you have missed the negatively contracting economy that has happened since then? You know, at exactly the same thing that doomers were sitting around waiting for yet another crash when the first one didn't give them the Rapture event they have been praying for?
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 14:21:32

onlooker wrote:And Cog, assuming no full on collapse happens, do you think the downward slope of peak oil will be conducive to investing when this implies a contracting economy? Who wants to invest or lend in a contracting economy? Not smart people.


A contracting economy refers to the economy as a whole. Within the economy I can still see the potential for new companies to form or to grow their business. Obviously any growth would need to be more than offset by companies going out of business or doing a shrinking amount of business. So there would still be some ability to invest but it would certainly be a much more challenging environment for investors.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri 15 Nov 2013, 13:42:27
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 14:36:38

Enjoying a day without Armageddon banging out a dozen 1-liner uncited twitter headlines in a row. Maybe his fingernails grew too long to type and he decided to trim them and if so hopefully he opened his front door and reminded himself what the sun looks like.
ATTN: SHORT LOST A BET AND HE WON'T EVEN ADMIT HE MADE ONE. HIS POSTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY AND HE SHOULD NOT BE WELCOME HERE
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 2561
Joined: Sun 05 Feb 2017, 13:17:28

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 15:03:30

Too bad us realists cannot enjoy even 1 day without the reflexive, this is bad news so it must be fake news crowd
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
User avatar
onlooker
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 10454
Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013, 12:49:04
Location: NY, USA

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 15:45:46

onlooker wrote:Too bad us realists cannot enjoy even 1 day without the reflexive, this is bad news so it must be fake news crowd


Zealots by their very nature have nothing in common with realists.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 4631
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 16:10:26

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby Cog » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 16:45:25

wildbourgman wrote:Cog, markets that swing wildly are not considered healthy. I wouldn't hang my hat on volatility being a good sign.


I hate to be the bearer of bad news(good news?) but the market goes up and down constantly and always has. Its sort of how you make money in it apart from dividends. :-D
User avatar
Cog
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 12450
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Northern Kekistan

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby wildbourgman » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 17:13:47

Cog, two things.

There are more up days in a bear market, but the down days simply have bigger moves.

Also in the modern era bad news (good news) makes the market go up, because the markets anticipate rate cuts coming from the central banks.

I'll repeat volatility even to the up side is sign of disfunction.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun 07 Jul 2013, 09:05:52

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby Armageddon » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 19:19:30

asg70 wrote:Enjoying a day without Armageddon banging out a dozen 1-liner uncited twitter headlines in a row. Maybe his fingernails grew too long to type and he decided to trim them and if so hopefully he opened his front door and reminded himself what the sun looks like.


With your head buried 3 feet in the sand, i’m Surprised you noticed
User avatar
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 4891
Joined: Wed 13 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: St.Louis, Mo

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby Cog » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 21:19:09

wildbourgman wrote:Cog, two things.

There are more up days in a bear market, but the down days simply have bigger moves.

Also in the modern era bad news (good news) makes the market go up, because the markets anticipate rate cuts coming from the central banks.

I'll repeat volatility even to the up side is sign of disfunction.


You doomers constantly go on about rate cuts with no evidence the Fed is anticipating doing so. Better than even odds the Fed will RAISE rates not lower them this year.
User avatar
Cog
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 12450
Joined: Sat 17 May 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Northern Kekistan

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 22:04:59

Armageddon wrote:With your head buried 3 feet in the sand, i’m Surprised you noticed


All I know is at your current posting rate you'll rush past (our sorely missed) PStarr's post-count in no-time. A dubious honor. At least PStarr spread his posts around rather than machine-gunning a single thread with a useless no-link zerohedge twitter post every 5 minutes.
ATTN: SHORT LOST A BET AND HE WON'T EVEN ADMIT HE MADE ONE. HIS POSTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY AND HE SHOULD NOT BE WELCOME HERE
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 2561
Joined: Sun 05 Feb 2017, 13:17:28

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby wildbourgman » Sat 08 Jun 2019, 06:50:03

Cog wrote:
wildbourgman wrote:Cog, two things.

There are more up days in a bear market, but the down days simply have bigger moves.

Also in the modern era bad news (good news) makes the market go up, because the markets anticipate rate cuts coming from the central banks.

I'll repeat volatility even to the up side is sign of disfunction.


You doomers constantly go on about rate cuts with no evidence the Fed is anticipating doing so. Better than even odds the Fed will RAISE rates not lower them this year.


Cog, I'm hoping your right because it means one of the Socialist presidential candidates for president won't win and my families finances will be much brighter. I see us cutting rates back to zero within two years.
wildbourgman
Coal
Coal
 
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun 07 Jul 2013, 09:05:52

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby Revi » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 13:50:19

I keep hearing about Deutsche Bank and it's problems with it's stock price. Anyone know anything about that?
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
User avatar
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 7180
Joined: Mon 25 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: Maine

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 23:23:19

Revi wrote:I keep hearing about Deutsche Bank and it's problems with it's stock price. Anyone know anything about that?

Not really. But a ten second search on google shows various stories in the past 24 hours about a tax probe, and a "lapse in checks on money laundering", calls for the Fed to investigate the bank, etc.

Not hard to imagine none of that can be good for the stock. Looks like the stock has been trending down the last 18 months, but I don't follow the news on it.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
User avatar
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 6747
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Re: Stock Market Crash! (merged) Pt. 7

Unread postby Revi » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 07:50:03

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Revi wrote:I keep hearing about Deutsche Bank and it's problems with it's stock price. Anyone know anything about that?

Not really. But a ten second search on google shows various stories in the past 24 hours about a tax probe, and a "lapse in checks on money laundering", calls for the Fed to investigate the bank, etc.

Not hard to imagine none of that can be good for the stock. Looks like the stock has been trending down the last 18 months, but I don't follow the news on it.


I have heard that if it's stock goes under $6.40 it's toast. Any truth to that?
I have also heard that it's like the lehman that causes the collapse.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
User avatar
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 7180
Joined: Mon 25 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: Maine

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests