Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The coming Civil War

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: The coming Civil War

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 15 Aug 2019, 18:55:43

Ibon,

I’ve been thinking along similar lines. I don’t know if it’s “rigged” as you say, but I’m not denying it either. I keep looking for the rugged, haven’t figured that one out yet.

Not that you need convincing but think about this, here are some , as far as I can tell, honest to goodness facts.

Illegal immigrants in the USA are closer to 22 million, not 11 million as reported.
Most of them are visa over stays, not border crossers.
Southern border crossings by illegals started going down during Obama and continued s downward.
The number of deaths at the boarder peaked under Obama and has been going downward.
The murder rate in the USA has been going downward for quite a while.
Mass murders are mostly men, and fairly evenly distributed by race.
The person most likely to kill you is your husband or son.

There is a lot of good news there, and some not so much. But from those “facts” things sound like they are generally getting better. Yet we are in this state of high anxiety and agitation.

I feel someone is spooking the herd, getting ready to push it to stampede.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Fri 16 Aug 2019, 11:14:09

asg70 wrote:
Newfie wrote:The is little difference between the parties.

Wrong. The republicans have a terrible track record on social issues and the environment. Just because the dems haven't done enough doesn't mean there is no difference in policy.

Got to agree with you. We are at the level of cognitive dissonance as a society.

On difference, right off, is that Republicans want to exploit the differences and Democrats want to triangulate over the differences. They're both living a lie, but the Republican lie is far more egregious and ultimately damaging.

We're not going to survive the coming tumult by retreating into our narrow definitions of privilege and rights and exclusion. It is ridiculous that anyone would welcome a civil war in our midst, a civil war of neighbor against neighbor. That is best left to the future, which may not be all that far off, actually.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 16 Aug 2019, 11:31:15

OK then let me rephrase my statement.

Neither party has a realistic idea of the problems we face or a viable plan to move forward. Survival chances under ones leadership is as bad as under the others.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 17 Aug 2019, 06:50:17

Newfie wrote:Ibon,

I’ve been thinking along similar lines. I don’t know if it’s “rigged” as you say, but I’m not denying it either. I keep looking for the rugged, haven’t figured that one out yet.

I don't think this growing distraction/chaos/dysfunction is premeditatively rigged by some secret elites somewhere. But as everyone becomes numb to this dysfunction this creates a very convenient shadow under which corrupt corporations and government can maneuver with almost impunity.

Since most of us are over 60 it is not hard to go back in your mind to say 40 or 50 years ago and recall that society in general was on more solid ground in terms of having a collective sense of outrage over civic irregularities like rudeness, corruption, scandal, etc. Of course corruption was there back then but it was more covert. Also the middle class back then was able to put their kids through college without debt so they were at peace and didn't dig too deep into the corrupt mechanitions of corporations and the government.

We live in different times. The point of this current inquiry of the last couple of posts is to recognize that society has become so numb to the dysfunction that this creates a smoke screen of sorts where incompetency becomes normalized. This allows for corruption to go full speed rampant.

Take the Eppstein case for example. The coroner says it was really a suicide. The public is so jaded by scandal that they will quickly forget and move on to the next scandal. Those who bang the conspiracy drums that this was a set up will also join the clamor of this back ground of dysfunction which actually has the opposite effect of waking people up, it makes them further retreat into numbness. This example applies to almost all the dysfunctions out there and even applies to issues like climate change.

A great fog of numbness dominates the collective. I am guilty also of retreating. I am pinning the insects I collected on my recent entomological expedition withdrawing further into the natural world.

I have little appetite for this mess anymore since it keeps circling round and round and there is no real effective solutions at the moment, no real movement, no real leadership to address it, no real outrage in the collective at large....... just an overwhelming numbness. FUCK IT. Why should anyone really bother to concern themselves. It's a total waste of time at the moment.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to North America Discussion