Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 21

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 21

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 10 May 2019, 22:57:35

Hollywood star rails against Climate Change, then buys a giant private jet and names it "Air Drake."

superstar-rapper-drake-who-rails-against-climate-change-buys-massive-private-jet

I wonder why he needs such a giant private jet? Couldn't he get by with a smaller private jet in order to reduce his carbon footprint?

They used to call people like this "limousine liberals". Now they should call them "private jet liberals."
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 10 May 2019, 23:42:49

Plantagenet wrote:Hollywood star rails against Climate Change, then buys a giant private jet and names it "Air Drake."

Takes one hypocrite frequent-flyer "environmentalist" to know one, hey, Plant?

There's more projection coming from you than the local multiplex.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 11 May 2019, 02:26:30

New York state on track to be coal-free by 2020

New York state is on track to close its last remaining coal-fired power plants by the end of 2020 after adopting final regulations that require state power plants to meet new, stricter CO2 emissions limits.

The newly adopted requirements will go into effect on June 8. The stringent limits on CO2 emissions will make it virtually impossible for coal plants to continue running within the state after 2020.

Coal is almost dead in New York as it is. It currently makes up less than 1% of energy production in the state, according to a recent report from the New York Independent System Operator.

There are only two remaining coal plants left in the state, and both are owned by Riesling Power. Those plants are managed by Beowulf Energy, which plans to turn the facilities into data centers, Bloomberg reports.

Beowulf Energy’s managing director Michael Enright said in a statement that a proposed transition plan would retire the plants before the emissions deadline “while creating a viable new business and jobs in their place, using renewable energy.” ...

https://electrek.co/2019/05/10/ny-coal-free-2020/
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dissident » Sat 11 May 2019, 08:02:45

As long as natural gas is available they can ban coal plants.

As for the endless "Al Gore flies a lot" BS, the problem is collective action and not individual action. People who want global change to occur why individual choices are deluded. Jevon's Paradox gives you one of the reasons why such thinking is a fail. If Al Gore or any other "railer against AGW" lived like some hermit, then the impact on global oil consumption would be precisely zero. Even if a whole country stopped using oil, there would be no net drop in oil consumption. That's how economics works. Why would any "non railer against AGW" forego cheap oil? Society and the economy sees no negative impact of oil consumption over time scales that it cares about.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 11 May 2019, 21:56:25

Climate Change Activists denounce Joe Biden as "stuck in the past" for endorsing Obama's "all of the above" energy policy, including more fracking and more natural gas.

joe-biden-no-middle-ground-climate-change

Bill McKibben and other climate change activists are denouncing Joe Biden for supporting Obama-style policies on Climate Change. Joe Biden's energy and climate advisors are the same people from the natural gas biz who crafted Obama-era policies favoring a vast expansion in Natural gas use for power generation in the US, even though CH4 is much more powerful greenhouse gas then CO2.

The Ds have an opportunity in 2020 to make climate change the main issue of the US election. Lets hope they don't blow it by nominating Joe Biden, because he's stuck in the past on the climate change issue.

Cheers!
hall of shame
People who buy new cars and then cry crocodile tears over climate change. The manufacture of a typical new car emits ca. 16 tons of CO2 and a new EV is actually much worse since the battery also has to be manufactured, resulting in a total carbon footprint of ca. 30 tons of CO2
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eclipse » Sun 12 May 2019, 00:54:26

Why natural gas? America has a good nuclear industry that could be scaled up, fast.

I say nationalise energy like the French did, and just solve this thing! Prior to the oil crisis, France used to burn oil for electricity. When the 1970's oil crisis hit, they realised energy is the lifeblood of modern civilisation. It's a national infrastructure and security issue! They nationalised energy. "France installed 56 reactors over the next 15 years." https://tinyurl.com/y6kgf4pj France is now 3/4 nuclear, 1/4 hydro, and has some of the cleanest, most reliable electricity on earth. It is also one of the world's top electricity exporters, selling power to neighbouring countries going down the vastly more expensive unreliable wind and solar route. Only Germany exports more electricity, dumping underpriced wind and solar on neighbouring countries when they have too big a glut, and then buying electricity back from nuclear France when their solar shuts down at night.

So who won the clean energy race? As of 2016, Germany's CO2 emissions were 10 times that of France. https://tinyurl.com/y8aoql4e

What about Denmark? After 20 years of investment in Danish wind, Denmark emits 478 grams CO2 per kilowatt hour, and France only emits 80 grams CO2 per kilowatt hour. https://tinyurl.com/y2v8zo9d

And how much is all this costing? Let's look at Germany's Energiewende. If you add up the total investment on Page 26 (along the bottom of the graphic) it comes to $224 billion by 2016, with $15bn added per year recently. I make that $344 by 2025. https://tinyurl.com/y4xpnsst If they had put that into nuclear at a discounted assembly line rate of $3bn / GW (as I'm advocating nationalisation, standardisation, and mass build out) then I make that 111GW of baseload power for their 200GW demand grid. They'd be over half the way towards a clean grid, but reliable in the coldest, quietest, snowiest German winter night. All the power they could need, when they need it, now when nature is 'in the mood'. As of 2016 they were at about 47.8% 'clean' energy, with coal and gas making up the rest. https://tinyurl.com/y4gev9my But so much of it is unreliable wind and solar one wonders how they're going to afford the storage costs as they head towards 100%. If they just expanded nuclear, they could be at about half renewables, half nuclear — and yet *still* have to clean up the liquid fuels and transport sector!

Dr James Hansen says believing in intermittent, unreliable renewable energy like wind and solar is like believing in the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy. https://tinyurl.com/yclaf2sn He also says the world should build 115 reactors a year. https://tinyurl.com/zp3552t That 115 reactors a year figure sounds like a lot, but it's a global figure. As a ratio of reactors to GDP, the French already *beat* this in the 1970's under the Messmer plan. It's simple really. It's nuclear power or climate change.
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recharge/
eclipse
Coal
Coal

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 12 May 2019, 09:08:46

One word: Fukushima.

You simply can't naively wave your hand and say "go nuke!" There are huge political hurdles against doing so.

There are new kinds of nuclear reactors (thorium for instance) that would probably be a lot safer but the public would need to be educated and the entrenched nuclear industry would need to embrace it as an alternative. But traditional reactor designs? I think they're a non-starter in the US.

As for Plant, I see he's simply brushed aside the outing of his hypocrisy and back to his partisan NPC tactics. Such a dull robot that guy is.

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sun 12 May 2019, 23:11:30

Fukushima = horse and buggy. Invoking passed history to constrain the future is moronic.

And Fukushima, being an irrelevant obsolete design with the added bonus of criminal incompetence in locating the back up generators, did not dump as much health damaging agents into the environment as even a couple of dozen of coal power plants. One coal power plant will kill hundreds of times more people than Fukushima's 4-reactor meltdown.

Time to use objective metrics instead of brain dead hysterical touchy feely nonsense.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 13 May 2019, 09:37:44

dissident wrote:Fukushima = horse and buggy. Invoking passed history to constrain the future is moronic.

Namecall as you like but I don't evangelize solutions that are politically impossible.

dissident wrote:One coal power plant will kill hundreds of times more people than Fukushima's 4-reactor meltdown.

Tell that to Trump (bring back coal) voters.

dissident wrote:Time to use objective metrics instead of brain dead hysterical touchy feely nonsense.

Easier said than done.

BTW, a key feature of this period in history is a LACK OF TRUST. One could say paranoia, even. Nobody trusts institutions. This is why collective efforts of all stripes have difficulty getting off the ground. If corruption or incompetence could exact a heavy price, then nobody will make a leap of faith. Nukes are one of the highest risk endeavors imaginable and requires a HIGH TRUST environment. That's why nukes had their zenith during the height of the cold war.

You tell me how we get to the point where the public might place their trust in whatever entity is allowed to build a nuke and the regulatory commissions charged with watchdogging it.

HALL OF SHAME:
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby jedrider » Mon 13 May 2019, 11:09:52

We Finally Know When Humans Started Changing the Climate
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/we-finally-know-when-the-human-impact-on-climate-began/

All the models are projecting that you should see unprecedented drying soon, in a lot of places

Between the flooding and the droughting, this is obviously the first effect of climate change way before sea-level rise affects most of us.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eclipse » Thu 16 May 2019, 01:29:02

asg70 wrote:One word: Fukushima.

I hear you, I really do. The public need massive amounts of education to understand that this was a 48 year old reactor, that the radiation released was so minimal people could have returned a month or 2 later and rebuilt their communities, that the seafood there is safe to eat, and so many other things. Radiation FUD has killed many, many more people than the radiation would. Internally displaced Japanese have very high suicide rates.

If anything, Fukushima shows why we SHOULD be building nuclear. Nobody has died as a direct result of the REACTOR - bad public policy, yes! But again, coal kills more people when it goes RIGHT than when nuclear goes WRONG, and this one went VERY VERY wrong and nobody has died.

We don't even need thorium reactors to increase global energy safety. What did I hear this morning on the BBC World news... dirty energy is up to 8 million deaths a year? That's a couple of CHERNOBYL'S a day! (And the west never built a Chernobyl reactor, not once.)

So, why build nuclear? In one word, Fukushima! In a few more words... if an old reactor design melts down and kills NO-ONE, how safe are the new reactors that have passive safety instead of needing diesel cooling pumps? They would EASILY have survived that tsunami!
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
eclipse
Coal
Coal

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 16 May 2019, 14:13:19

I see a society unwilling to invest in it's future. That is not the society I want building nuclear power plants.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 16 May 2019, 15:08:53

Well put, jed.

We all need to become more like this kid:

https://desdemonadespair.net/2019/05/ho ... world.html
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 16 May 2019, 15:20:36

dohboi wrote:
We all need to become more like this kid:

I like her grit and her determination to do something about climate change. But I can't support her call for school-age kids to boycott school to protest against climate change. We need people to be BETTER educated, not more poorly educated.....encouraging kids to skip school is a really dumb move, IMHO.

A school walk-out is an effective demonstration technique the first time you do it, but the impact diminishes if you do it over and over again every week. I wish Greta would re-schedule her anti-climate change demonstrations from fridays to a weekend day, when there is no school, and then encourage her fellow students to go to school every day and work hard and learn everything they can about science and climate change while they are in school during the school week.

Cheers!
hall of shame
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eclipse » Thu 16 May 2019, 22:38:05

I wish she'd learn about nuclear power. Solar has 300 times the waste of nuclear. https://tinyurl.com/y7cm2te9
Solar PV uses 17 times the material to make the same energy as nuclear. http://tinyurl.com/y8xecbz2
But nuclear produces abundant power during the coldest quietest winter night.
eclipse
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Whitefang » Sat 18 May 2019, 09:19:21

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desdemona

Desdemona (/ˌdɛzdəˈmoʊnə/) is a character in William Shakespeare's play Othello (c. 1601–1604). Shakespeare's Desdemona is a Venetian beauty who enrages and disappoints her father, a Venetian senator, when she elopes with Othello, a Moorish man several years her senior. When her husband is deployed to Cyprus in the service of the Republic of Venice, Desdemona accompanies him. There, her husband is manipulated by his ensign Iago into believing she is an adulteress, and, in the last act, she is murdered by her estranged spouse.

Castigating the powerful has become routine for the 16-year-old. In December, she addressed the U.N. Climate Change Conference in Poland; in January she berated billionaires at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. Her London speech was the last stop of a tour that included meeting the Pope. (“Continue to work, continue,” he told her, ending with, “Go along, go ahead.” It was an exhortation, not a dismissal.)
Just nine months ago, Thunberg had no such audiences. She was a lone figure sitting outside the Swedish Parliament in Stockholm, carrying a sign emblazoned with Skolstrejk for Klimatet (School Strike for Climate). She was there for a reason that felt primal and personal. While Thunberg was studying climate change in school at the age of 11, she reacted in a surprisingly intense way: she suffered an episode of severe depression. After a time it lifted, only to resurface last spring.
“I felt everything was meaningless and there was no point going to school if there was no future,” Thunberg says. But this time, rather than suffer the pain, she decided to push back at its cause, channeling her sadness into action. “I promised myself I was going to do everything I could do to make a difference,” she says.

Yes, let us all indulge in self pity, be depressed, then get famous, be important and travel the world, stay in the Ritz, Davos, London and Rome, meet kings and queens, the pope inbetween, everything to make a footprint as large as possible, go out with a bang.
The Prince solution, party like it's 99.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=pr ... &FORM=VIRE
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby eclipse » Sun 19 May 2019, 01:11:24

I just wish she knew a little more science and was promoting real engineering solutions like nuclear power. The renewable sector already has enough paid up fans greenwashing the fact that solar pv produces 300 times the waste of nuclear power.
eclipse
Coal
Coal

Unread postby dohboi » Mon 20 May 2019, 21:29:20

Hmmm, some of these adult men seem rather threatened and frightened by this strong, brave, bright young lady...as they say, weak mean are scared of strong women (and even girls, apparently)! :)

People crap all over Gore for flying too. But speaking important truths to power is something that needs doing, whatever happens along the way.

Let's keep our criticism of flying primarily to those who are just doing it for a lark (not naming any names right now...:) )
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 30 May 2019, 21:11:23

Chomsky speech in Boston on nukes, AGW, erosion of democracy:
http://www.shortcommons.com/2019/05/cho ... hange.html

Elsewhere:

The Cato Institute quietly shut down a program that for years sought to raise uncertainty about climate science, leaving the libertarian think tank co-founded by Charles Koch without an office dedicated to global warming.

https://www.eenews.net/stories/1060419123

Mein Gott! Is CI finally starting to grow the tiniest smidgen of a moral compass!! :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby eclipse » Thu 30 May 2019, 21:49:53

Really? Where will poor Koch brothers go to promote their 'scientific scepticism'?

In the meantime, the thing that really concerns me about as global warming heats up is that the emergency geoengineering schemes might be implemented for by one country at the expense of the others. For instance, if we just dump artificial nano-diamonds in the upper atmosphere for a bit of SRM (solar radiation management) then we can cool the planet. If we 'only' try and cancel out half our warming, David Keith says there would be little side-effect and we'd get more time to address climate change. But SRM is so cheap that some nation might go it alone and cancel ALL global warming, which could have disastrous side effects like cancelling the monsoon rains. Imagine India and Asia without the monsoon? That's as bad as runaway climate change.
eclipse
Coal
Coal

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate