Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 3

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 3

Unread postby lpetrich » Thu 06 Jun 2019, 09:53:35

Alexander Hamilton advocated the Electoral College as being like a miniature Constitutional Convention, a sort of assembly of experts. He proposed that they vote in their separate states to make them less vulnerable to demagogues and to foreign meddlers.

The EC has absolutely, totally, completely failed there. It quickly became a rubber-stamp body, and with the election of Donald Trump, it showed complete failure. He was -- and still is! -- a shameless failure, and he was helped by Russian professional trolls and hackers who worked for the Russian government. He tried to cover up his aides' consultations with Russian officials, rather than report on them to try to show what they were up to. Like Watergate, his coverups only made it worse.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Thu 06 Jun 2019, 13:46:13

To end an investigation which showed no Russian collusion or conspiracy was well within the authority of the executive branch. No American has ever been indicted or prosecuted for collusion or coordination with Russia because it never happened. No quid pro quo ever occured.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 06 Jun 2019, 14:10:48

lpetrich wrote:Donald Trump .... was helped by Russian professional trolls and hackers who worked for the Russian government.

Actually, the just released Mueller Report just showed that there was no conspiracy or collusion between Trump and his campaign and the Russians. Its time for you to face the fact that you've been duped by a cabal of a crazy conspiracy theorists, i.e. the left wing of the D party.

----------------------------------

At the very end of the Obama administration there was an intelligence finding that the Russians had interfered in the US election to help Trump, but we now know that finding was based on material in the Steele Dossier, which is now discredited. In fact, former FBI director Comey and former CIA director Brennan now both blame the other for basing this intelligence finding on a phony document, and for going to the FISA court with this phony document, etc. etc.

Rather than Russians colluding with Trump to affect the 2016 election, an investigation is now underway to determine if Christopher Steele and Fusion GPS and the DNC and the Hillary Campaign and the Obama administration either colluded with Russia or were duped by Russia to subvert the 2016 election by relying on Russian disinformation (i.e. the Steele dossier). At the least, the Obama administration seems to have committed a fraud on the FISA court by lying to them in their FISA applications so they could spy on the Trump Campaign.

CHEERS!
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 06 Jun 2019, 14:38:16

Woman stabs herself three times because she's "tired of living in Trump's country."

-stabbing

I hope this form of protest doesn't catch on among the Ds. I know they are mad about Trump being President but this is ridiculous.

Cheers!
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 06 Jun 2019, 15:31:03

Given the hundreds who said they would move to Canada, but did not, if Trump were elected, its unlikely any large group of people wwould stab themselves. But given the mental instability of the left anything is possible I suppose.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby mmasters » Thu 06 Jun 2019, 16:27:13

I think Bernie is going to get the nomination. Biden may be the one that could beat Trump but he's not where the energy of the party is at. An Obama like moderate isn't getting the D's excited anymore. The energy is with the far left and Bernie is the most formidable of the far left choices.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 06:44:02

When you look at say N Korea, where millions have been duped into thinking their leader is divine, nothing looks ridiculous. I pick on NK only as a widely known contemporary example. There are thousands of such examples throughout human history.

It’s not D or R, it’s humanity.

Edited to add:

There have been conservatives who shoot or otherwise attacked abortion providers. Just to provide a counter example to show it’s on both sides.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 09:52:23

I think I agree with this commentator the most of anyone watching this circus. I think she gets it exactly right:

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2019/06/04 ... -all-time/
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Revi » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 10:32:13

C'mon minions. I would think that you agree with this:

"The most aggressive anti-Trumpists have no interest in real change, they just want things to go back to the way they were before Trump, which is actually just wanting to go back to the conditions which gave rise to Trump. They’re not interested in waking up, they’re interested in smoothing an uncomfortable wrinkle in their bedsheets so that they can go back to sleep."

From the article cited in the last post.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 11:05:27

There are many fine examples of TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) in the prior posts. I would remind everyone:

Trump was a registered Democrat, a registered Republican, and most especially a registered Reform Party member, where he participated in the 2000 Presidential Primary, winning the Reform ticket in both California and Michigan before dropping out of the race and announcing his support for Mitt Romney, a Republican primary candidate. The subsequent general election of 2012 featured GW Bush(R), Al Gore(D), and Pat Buchanan (Reform).

Trump is actually a Populist, which has a long history in American Politics, although the last successful Populist candidate for POTUS was TR Roosevelt (Bull Moose Party). The success of any 3rd Party candidate is very much harder since the "Camelot Reforms" of JFK and RFK, which amounted to a "bottoms up" restructuring of the Democratic Party, which until then had been the extreme Right Wing of American Politics, between the Civil War Reconstruction and "Camelot".

A successful Populist MUST oppose the incumbent party. That is why Trump chose the R ticket. Had the incument been a R, he would have chosen the D ticket, and still won against whomever the Rs were running.

"Camelot" was the change that basicly broke American politics, as it resulted in the ideological sorting of R's as Conservatives and D's as Liberals. Prior to "Camelot", both the R's and the D's strove to appeal to both sides by choosing a "balanced ticket", the meaning of which was one Conservativ and one Liberal, as candidates for POTUS and VPOTUS.

The present extreme disfunction of American politics can be traced to JFK/RFK and "Camelot". IMHO, it is JFK's most enduring legacy, with a more profound impact on this country than either the Moon Landing or the Cuban Missile Crisis.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 07 Jun 2019, 11:50:08

Revi,

Thanks for that. Not sure I completely agree but there is much to it. To much to be comfortable.

I often think of Trump as a Buffon, someone with a mental disorder who became President by accident. It’s not his fault, God knows he did not hide his personal nature. The appropriate action would have been for the country to have come together to try to get through these tough times. To work together to help him be a better person, to rise to the occasion.

But instead we act like a bunch of 9th graders tormenting the special ed guy. Yeah he is big, dumb and crude. It when people pick on the handicapped what are they? They are upset the really “popular girl” didn’t get picked class President so all the cool kids are kicking the Buffoon.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby mmasters » Sun 09 Jun 2019, 22:35:08

mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Revi » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 09:27:13

Newfie wrote:Revi,

Thanks for that. Not sure I completely agree but there is much to it. To much to be comfortable.

I often think of Trump as a Buffon, someone with a mental disorder who became President by accident. It’s not his fault, God knows he did not hide his personal nature. The appropriate action would have been for the country to have come together to try to get through these tough times. To work together to help him be a better person, to rise to the occasion.

But instead we act like a bunch of 9th graders tormenting the special ed guy. Yeah he is big, dumb and crude. It when people pick on the handicapped what are they? They are upset the really “popular girl” didn’t get picked class President so all the cool kids are kicking the Buffoon.

I have heard that he may be the designated scapegoat for when it all turns sour. I feel a bit sorry for him sometimes, but then I get over it. He wanted it, or was told he wanted it. He has a sort of a cunning, so I don't know if he is a complete buffoon, but he's playing one now. I think he's not going to fare too well in coming years.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 10:49:11

Biden isn't showing up at the D campaign events, supposedly to protect his big lead in the polls. But Biden is at 24%.......thats not a big lead in polls. Thats just name recognition.

Most people don't follow politics so you give them a list of the 22? 24? D candidates and Biden is a name they recognize.

When you get all these people together on a debate stage, some of them are going to shine. Elizabeth Warren will shine....she's sharp as a tack. And Pete Bootyjudge will shine. The man has it all.......brilliant mind, military background, lefty politics, and a charming wife. And he's gay so he will be the first gay president.

In the same way that electing Obama proved we aren't racist, electing Bootyjudge will prove America has no bias against gay people.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 13:44:44

Plantagenet wrote:Biden isn't showing up at the D campaign events, supposedly to protect his big lead in the polls. But Biden is at 24%.......thats not a big lead in polls. Thats just name recognition.

Most people don't follow politics so you give them a list of the 22? 24? D candidates and Biden is a name they recognize.

When you get all these people together on a debate stage, some of them are going to shine. Elizabeth Warren will shine....she's sharp as a tack. And Pete Bootyjudge will shine. The man has it all.......brilliant mind, military background, lefty politics, and a charming wife. And he's gay so he will be the first gay president.

In the same way that electing Obama proved we aren't racist, electing Bootyjudge will prove America has no bias against gay people.

Cheers!

Maybe. If Castro isn't on the ticket they have really missed the boat! I hope they figure out that demographics is destiny. Beto is fluent in Spanish, but that's not going to do it. Kennedy was smart enough to get Johnson in order to bring in the Southern Democrats. I hope they do something strategic like that this time...
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 13:51:16

Cog wrote:Given the hundreds who said they would move to Canada, but did not, if Trump were elected, its unlikely any large group of people wwould stab themselves. But given the mental instability of the left anything is possible I suppose.

But they did loudly and constantly complain in large numbers.

Of course, complaining is different than moving, but since when has either the left or the right been more about accuracy than advancing their political agenda, when it comes to partisan politics?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Revi » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 11:32:16

Outcast_Searcher wrote:But they did loudly and constantly complain in large numbers.

Of course, complaining is different than moving, but since when has either the left or the right been more about accuracy than advancing their political agenda, when it comes to partisan politics?

I saw all these people get upset after the election and hold rallies. Where were they when we were out knocking doors and talking to people before the election? I told some of my friends that it looks like Trump will win and they didn't believe me nor did they get themselves down to do any campaigning.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 11:36:41

Because they really didn’t want Hillary to win? Perhaps?

That lets you have Trump as Prez you can bitch and complain. If Hillary would have one the policies would have been worse but you could not complain because she was your candidate?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 14:57:23

I never met any Dems that said they actually liked Hillary as a person even if they voted for her. That was a factor in 2016.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 15:13:13

And I don’t think I’ve met any Rs that “liked” Trump. As bad as he was the rest of the field was worse. But at least there was a democratically selected candidate.

This is the situation our 2 party system has brought us to. Rather than choosing amongst the best we get to scrape something from the bottom of the barrel.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion