Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Democrat Thread Pt. 3

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: THE Democrat Thread Pt. 3

Unread postby lpetrich » Wed 15 May 2019, 07:27:42

2020 Election: Elizabeth Warren turns down Fox News town hall - POLITICO
The network has been inviting Democratic presidential candidates to participate in town halls moderated by its news reporters. Bernie Sanders and Amy Klobuchar already done the events, while Pete Buttigieg and Kirsten Gillibrand are scheduled to. All of them have criticized the network’s coverage of the Trump administration but defended going on the network as a means to reach voters.

She explains why:

Elizabeth Warren on Twitter: "I love town halls. I’ve done more than 70 since January, and I’m glad to have a television audience be a part of them. Fox News has invited me to do a town hall, but I’m turning them down—here’s why..."
Elizabeth Warren on Twitter: "Fox News is a hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists—it’s designed to turn us against each other, risking life and death consequences, to provide cover for the corruption that’s rotting our government and hollowing out our middle class."
Elizabeth Warren on Twitter: "Hate-for-profit works only if there’s profit, so Fox News balances a mix of bigotry, racism, and outright lies with enough legit journalism to make the claim to advertisers that it’s a reputable news outlet. It’s all about dragging in ad money—big ad money."
Elizabeth Warren on Twitter: "But Fox News is struggling as more and more advertisers pull out of their hate-filled space. A Democratic town hall gives the Fox News sales team a way to tell potential sponsors it's safe to buy ads on Fox—no harm to their brand or reputation (spoiler: It’s not)."
Elizabeth Warren on Twitter: "Here’s one place we can fight back: I won’t ask millions of Democratic primary voters to tune into an outlet that profits from racism and hate in order to see our candidates—especially when Fox will make even more money adding our valuable audience to their ratings numbers."
Elizabeth Warren on Twitter: "I’m running a campaign to reach all Americans. I take questions from the press and voters everywhere I go. I’ve already held town halls in 17 states and Puerto Rico—including WV, OH, GA, UT, TN, TX, CO, MS & AL."
Elizabeth Warren on Twitter: "I’ve done 57 media avails and 131 interviews, taking over 1,100 questions from press just since January. Fox News is welcome to come to my events just like any other outlet. But a Fox News town hall adds money to the hate-for-profit machine. To which I say: hard pass."
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Wed 15 May 2019, 08:21:08

Hate speech=Any non leftist speech.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Wed 15 May 2019, 08:32:32

Has it occurred to you that Elizabeth Warren was indulging in hate speech against Conservative voters?

Conservatism is a very old philosophy dating back to the Ancient Greeks. In the USA, from the Civil War up until JFK's "Camelot" reforms, Democrats were the Conservative proponents of small government and fiscal responsibility. Also of racial hatred and segregation, which have never been associated with Republicans, except in the fantasies of Democrats.

See the world as it is, not how they tell you it is.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 18 May 2019, 19:01:50

I was very disappointed to read that Pete Buttigieg has come out in favor of removing Thomas Jefferson's name from various monuments, because he was a slave-owner.

The idea that historical people should be "disappeared" because they are no longer politically correct is really abhorrent, IMHO.

People aren't plater saints. IMHO, you can take anyone anyone and find some objectionable taint of classism, racism or some "me-too" moment in their pasts.

But you can't find many people who are as important in American History and in world history as Thomas Jefferson. His authorship of the Declaration of Independence alone places him among the great writers and political thinkers in world history.

Personally, I don't think any historical monuments should be defaced or destroyed. Even the ones commemorating Confederate soldiers. They are historical records of their time, and history records great wrongs and great defeats as well as great victories.

When I travel to Europe I see innumerable Greek and Roman statues destroyed and defaced by the barbarians because they weren't politically correct any more. Now i see modern barbarians, mostly of the left, seeking to destroy and deface the monuments and art of America because it isn't politically correct now. And I don't see any difference between the medieval barbarians and our modern American barbarians.........barbarians are narrow minded and ignorant and possessed by an urge to destroy, and unfortunately modern barbarians are on the loose in American today, and they are likely to grow even stronger now with D idiots like Pete Buttigieg cheering them on.

CHEERS!
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 18 May 2019, 20:50:33

Plant, that was well said and right on the money.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 19 May 2019, 04:18:49

So we should have a big statue of General William Tecumseh Sherman in the middle of Atlanta GA?

Pete Buttigieg wants Thomas Jefferson items renamed
“There’s a lot, of course, to admire in his thinking and his philosophy,” Buttigieg said of the author of the Declaration of Independence and the nation’s third president.

“But then again, if you plunge into his writings, especially the ‘Notes on the State of Virginia,’ you know that he knew slavery was wrong. And yet he did it,” he explained.

Complete with a "love" affair with one of them.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 19 May 2019, 07:19:33

KaiserJeep wrote:Has it occurred to you that Elizabeth Warren was indulging in hate speech against Conservative voters?

Conservatism is a very old philosophy dating back to the Ancient Greeks. In the USA, from the Civil War up until JFK's "Camelot" reforms, Democrats were the Conservative proponents of small government and fiscal responsibility. Also of racial hatred and segregation, which have never been associated with Republicans, except in the fantasies of Democrats.

See the world as it is, not how they tell you it is.

My Wife got a news but from Warren regarding alternative solutions to the abortion issue. I’m generally fall on the pro-choice side of things so this should have been a slam dunk.

However, her whole 3 or 4 paragraph intro was a screed against Republicans. Pure hate speech. Nothing to do with abortion or any other topic except hate.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 19 May 2019, 07:23:43

lpetrich wrote:So we should have a big statue of General William Tecumseh Sherman in the middle of Atlanta GA?

Pete Buttigieg wants Thomas Jefferson items renamed
“There’s a lot, of course, to admire in his thinking and his philosophy,” Buttigieg said of the author of the Declaration of Independence and the nation’s third president.

“But then again, if you plunge into his writings, especially the ‘Notes on the State of Virginia,’ you know that he knew slavery was wrong. And yet he did it,” he explained.

Complete with a "love" affair with one of them.

Recently I’ve come to the opinion that one way to catagorize people is either as forward looking or backward looking. Those staring at the past are generally stuck there and unable to move forward. They tend to collect injustices. Balkanization.

The forward looking folks try to be more action oriented, given to the idea that the only thing we can change is tomorrow. More “truth and reconciliation” oriented.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 19 May 2019, 08:43:45

Plantagenet wrote:The idea that historical people should be "disappeared" because they are no longer politically correct is really abhorrent, IMHO.

Like the numerous statues of Lenin and other Communist heroes that have been removed from ex-Soviet lands? Some people have created collections of them, which IMO is the best thing to do with them.

Also, Germany does not have any statues of Adolf Hitler in any public places. Why might that be?

The US ought to have Confederate-statue gardens in the fashion of the Communist-statue gardens of ex-Soviet lands.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 19 May 2019, 10:07:59

lpetrich wrote: Germany does not have any statues of Adolf Hitler in any public places. Why might that be?

Do I really have to explain everything to you?

Think very very hard and see if you can answer your own question this time, OK?

Cheers!
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lpetrich » Sun 19 May 2019, 11:11:58

Plantagenet wrote:
lpetrich wrote: Germany does not have any statues of Adolf Hitler in any public places. Why might that be?

Do I really have to explain everything to you?

Of course not. But if you understand why there are no statues of Adolf Hitler in Germany, and why many statues of Communist heroes have been removed in ex-Soviet-Bloc nations, you will understand why many people object to statues of Confederate heroes.

Look at it this way. A big statue of General Sherman in the middle of Atlanta would be a celebration of history. So why don't we have it?
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 19 May 2019, 17:08:19

lpetrich wrote:Look at it this way. A big statue of General Sherman in the middle of Atlanta would be a celebration of history. So why don't we have it?

We do have it. There s a monumental statue of General Tecumsah Sherman erected by a grateful nation in central Park in New York City. The artist who made this spectacular monument was Saint Gaudens...perhaps the greatest American neoclassical sculptor.

However, to get back to the point here....there are people who think the statue of Sherman should be removed because Sherman, by today's measures, was a war criminal because of his harsh measures against civilians.

demand-remove-william-sherman-union-statue

This is obviously nonsense. Statues are pieces of art work. Destroying or defacing them because they are no longer "PC" opens the door to destroying everything from the past that goes out of fashion and isn't PC now....and surely we don't want that.

IF Sherman can be considered a war criminal based on today's standards, then we also have to acknowledge that he wasn't a war criminal by the standards of his day. AND what better place to discuss it all then right there at the statue. That way you can place a historical context on Sherman and on the views that his fellow Americans had of him at the time the statue was conceived and built.

Get it now?

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 May 2019, 17:38:44

Cog wrote:Hate speech=Any non leftist speech.

Nowadays hate speech strikes me as any non-politically correct speech.
Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 19 May 2019, 23:57:51

AdamB wrote:
Cog wrote:Hate speech=Any non leftist speech.

Nowadays hate speech strikes me as any non-politically correct speech.

Its mainly the lefties who have their knickers in a twist over politically incorrect speech.

The term "politically incorrect" comes from Mao's China and the Cultural Revolution---- people who came from the wrong background or who said politically incorrect things in Mao's China were beaten and publicly humiliated and sent to re-education camps (concentration camps) in the country and forced to work essentially as slaves.

Did you say something non-leftist?
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Mon 20 May 2019, 09:48:16

How about changing the name of this thread to the Democratic thread? And why not have a few Democrats on here? It's a bit of a Republican echo chamber...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 20 May 2019, 10:27:05

Revi,

Hate speech is just a manipulative tool used by extremes to inflame and control the masses. It is one form of propaganda. Both extremes use it to further their goal. It was not long ago much hate speech was thrown at abortion providers, along with some lead. Neither side is immune from the disease.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 20 May 2019, 11:16:20

Here ya go Revi, a petionbto have Al Gore fun for President.

He is the only political leader of national stature who seems to have a clue about climate change.

https://www.change.org/p/al-gore-run-fo ... nt-in-2020

I’d even change my policy or not voting to support him.

He’s 70, younger than Biden.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Revi » Mon 20 May 2019, 12:52:45

My choice right now is Julian Castro. He's the most environmentalist candidate. Unfortunately he may not make it. Imagine if we had stayed in the Paris Accords, didn't have whackos in every department and could still be hopeful about the future...
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 20 May 2019, 13:56:16

Yes, but we must play the cards we have been dealt.

Why not sign the petition, makes a statement if nothing else.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Mon 20 May 2019, 23:53:23

Revi wrote:My choice right now is Julian Castro. He's the most environmentalist candidate. Unfortunately he may not make it. Imagine if we had stayed in the Paris Accords, didn't have whackos in every department and could still be hopeful about the future...

He is also a hard core commie in all his policy positions. An open border, gun banning, pro-abortion commie. He fits right in with the majority of this board though.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion