Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Arctic sea ice 2019

Unread postby Whitefang » Thu 10 Oct 2019, 21:25:15

Tanada wrote:We are now late enough in the season that the trend is unmistakably back upward. Scanning through the years it is clear that 2019 as essentially the same as 2007. 2012 remains the record low year, now seven years in the past. This is absolutely not the way I expected this decade to turn out, but I am thankful for the reprieve however long it lasts.

Same here T, we should be grateful for every year of sea ice on top of this world, Amen and inchallah, Godwilling.

Pigs could even become the default meat source, over cattle. Of course, that would only be after a transition to a warmer, and wetter, northern plains

EG, thanks for the ideas, drive to adapt, I think humanity will not give up and die at the drop of a hat but agriculture is facing a hard time already while we still have a more or less normal arctic.
I do not think pigs will enter the food chain in Morocco though.......

Last week I travelled the Rif, mix of small medieval type farming with modern large scale agriculture production.
For centuries, millennia even I suppose, olive trees together with other fruit bearing trees have stood their ground, grazed by sheep, goats, mules and horses, grains, beans and chicken.
All depending on the winter rains and a limit to how many people can live on the available resources.
The green leaf, the weed crop uses a lot of water, I'll look into it.

Abdeslam, a family member, rich farmer with a Peterson machine, has 3000 olive trees and no harvest this year for lack of water.
Trucking water in is no option, that would be possible but financially unwise unless oliveoil gets to double the price it is now, around 50 Dirham per litre.
He has already 3 wells but is digging a 4th deeper.
If the rains do not return to normal, he has to give up the farm.

Nordin, another family member but small scale farmer on a hill has some more water but can barely make it, keep BAU.
Thing is the system is indeed already at a breaking point without CC pushing it over the brink of disaster.
Last edited by Whitefang on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 21:34:17, edited 1 time in total.
Whitefang
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: Arctic sea ice 2019

Unread postby Nefarious » Thu 10 Oct 2019, 21:28:42

Tanada wrote:We are now late enough in the season that the trend is unmistakably back upward. Scanning through the years it is clear that 2019 as essentially the same as 2007. 2012 remains the record low year, now seven years in the past. This is absolutely not the way I expected this decade to turn out, but I am thankful for the reprieve however long it lasts.

Careful talk like that will get you labelled a denier. :lol:
Welcome to the grand solar minimum. :razz: The weather and climate are about to get a lot more chaotic and it's just the beginning. 8O
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate