Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Effects of Peak Oil - 2019 Edition

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Effects of Peak Oil - 2019 Edition

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 17:00:22

vtsnowedin wrote:
Newfie wrote:
But your probably right that about half of humanity is below average.

You have some doubt about that? :-D
Which half are you in?

The better half! :-D :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 17:02:31

pstarr wrote:Get together with friends and sell the fancy trucks, ...
Now is the time.

The best post of your last couple thousand.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 17:05:16

The only stickler there is the tax penalty for taking the 401k early. It’s eally the government encouraging us to capitalize the market, to make sure we have skin in the game. I have some, too much in there. But I’ve already made my life my doomstead so it’s not that big a deal. I could live without, but I would miss it so. :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 17:32:47

pstarr wrote:Plant lives in Alaska where he and many like him produce your petroleum

All the more evidence of his sinful ecological footprint, living off the teat of a petro-state as he does, and in a region so dependent on oil across the board for heating or flying/shipping in products.

Nobody held a gun to his head to live up there. Far far worse than living in the dreaded suburbs you single out for ridicule. Why you choose to defend his lifestyle now is a sign of your own cognitive dissonance.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 18:31:27

ASG,

For the moment I’m letting you slide on the personal attacks because folks seem to get a kick out of it and are not being offended.

Perhaps you want to tone things down a bit before that line is crossed.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 20:16:01

pstarr wrote:I thought you had become a cornie? Don't you have a fabulous collection of ancient F100's and the like?

Just because I'm not a fanboy and sock of the doom of the week club and still think for myself doesn't make me a cornie. Though I did trade the old Ford for a relatively new 7.3 turbo diesel f-250 4x4, LOL

I really loved the Grandkids' Farm, it had been my life's dream and was great fun. I learned a whole lot and made some friends to boot. But alas it was terminally old, with too much land for an old guy to work as a hobby (and not enough to live off of as a vocation in the modern ag biz). The house was a great old relic but too big for 2 and too old to adequately seal on our budget — tho we tried. The pole barns and sheds were rotting from the base and rusting from the roof and other things to numerous to mention.

If peak had played out as we'd suspected in the early oughts, the economy would not have recovered from the spike & crash, the price of oil would likely be closer to $200 than $20 and I'd be just happy as a clam down on that farm right now eating green beans and ham hocks. Likely some of the kids & grandkids would be there as well.

As it turns out and as much as we may hate to admit it, the massive investment in LTO was probably quite a shot in the arm for the US economy and helped pull it out of the recession against our every complaint. Not to mention keeping WTI lower than Brent for half a dozen years now further floating the boat.

That's not cornie, that's just fact, I'd be silly to ignore the facts and stick to the old plan.

Back in 'the early 00s when we started looking to bug out I was torn between buying an old place with lots of experience and facilities, or buying land and building my own infrastructure. Though I'd grown up on a farm and had been studying Mother Earth News for probably 30 years I still wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do. And honestly I was afraid I'd run out of money in what I saw as the timeframe allowed; 10 years +/-. It was a good plan at the time but that's how planning goes: make it, measure it, update it.

We sold that farm to some adventurous young vets and have since doubled our cash (and updated our belongings) on a couple of renovations. As soon as we can help the granddaughter get through JC and on to uni (or whatever) I hope to do just as you outlined. This time I will build it myself, small & tight.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 20:21:52

Newfie wrote:ASG,

For the moment I’m letting you slide on the personal attacks because folks seem to get a kick out of it and are not being offended.

Perhaps you want to tone things down a bit before that line is crossed.

I don't get a kick out of it and I'm offended by it.

asg/ennui/mos has a long history of trolling this site. After this latest return, s/he kept the personal attacks more or less under control until recently, but for some reason asg/ennu/mos has crossed over into full time trolling and unusually virulent personal attacks for the last several weeks. Maybe its related to the holiday season---a lot of people get emotional and/or act out during the holidays-----but whatever the reason for it, asg/ennui/mos's new style of constant trolling seems unnecessary and even irrational to me.

There are only about a dozen people still posting regularly at this site. Why can't we all just get along?

Cheers!
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 20:26:37

Pops wrote:as much as we may hate to admit it, the massive investment in LTO was probably quite a shot in the arm for the US economy and helped pull it out of the recession against our every complaint. Not to mention keeping WTI lower than Brent for half a dozen years now further floating the boat.

Yup.

And unlike conventional oilfields, we don't yet know how large tight oil shale reserves wil ultimately turn out to be, or how long it will take for them to peak, either in the US or globally. The EIA now projects TOS production and total US oil production will continue to grow until ca. 2040-50 -----and that's a long long way off.

Cheers!
"The people in power should listen.....its them I'm criticizing" Greta Thunberg, Lisbon, 12/4/19
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Pops » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 20:38:46

In 05 the EIA projected conventional oil production would continue to rise indefinitely. They were all wrong, luckily it's turned out alright, so far.

I think the lesson is they are no more prescient than I am in the long term. They didn't see LTO any more than anyone else.

That's from here by the way, blast from the past
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Sun 30 Dec 2018, 21:36:51

pstarr wrote:Pops, I put an inheritance 10 years ago into a super-insulated solar-oriented high tech modern home. Small but comfortable. Just updated the solar panel array, covered the roof with a new generations of 330w units. Lots of fruit trees. It's a "Micro Suburban Doomstead (tm)."

I remember the pictures, you made a great place.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 31 Dec 2018, 13:06:30

pstarr wrote:I get so confused sometimes. I have trouble figuring out if the world still exists

And you expect us to take your writings seriously?

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 31 Dec 2018, 18:41:54

pstarr wrote:
asg70 wrote:And you expect us to take your writings seriously?

There is no editorial 'us' to which you refer. You are alone with your hatred.

Rest assured . . . you have neither friends nor respect here.

kettle to pot.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion