Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

President Donald J. Trump Domestic Pt. 2

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: President Donald J. Trump Domestic Pt. 1

Unread postby lpetrich » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 17:16:16

Cog wrote:State's rights(RomneyCare) versus federal mandate(ObamaCare). If only the Constitution talked about such things. LOL

Something that does NOT justify the extreme demonization that Obamacare received. Its opponents didn't say "It's OK, but it's the states that ought to do it." Instead, they vilified it as death panels and stuff like that.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 17:41:59

Did the average family save $2500 per year in insurance costs as was promised by Obama? I think you have your answer.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 09:37:48

Nikki Haley resigning from UN ambassador position. No details. Breaking now.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 12:32:13

Cog wrote:Did the average family save $2500 per year in insurance costs as was promised by Obama? I think you have your answer.

The Affordable Care Act was about extending insurance coverage to people who didn't have insurance, not about saving people money in insurance premiums.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: President Donald J. Trump Domestic Pt. 2

Unread postby mmasters » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 12:37:21

I think there should be catastrophic health care for everyone. Call it CATcare. Everyone pays around $50 bucks a month and if there's an issue with a vital organ where you might die or you get life threatening cancer you're covered.
mmasters
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby lpetrich » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 14:11:11

onlooker wrote: Trump trusted less than Putin and Xi, says new global study

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/02/politics ... index.html

I'm not surprised. Trump acts like a jerk in ways that neither Putin nor Xi does. Neither Putin nor Xi are known for such pettiness as "Good work by General Kelly for quickly firing that dog!"

By contrast, according to that article,
The research found overall ratings for the US role in international affairs are much lower than during Barack Obama's presidency.

I am not surprised. Obama has been *much* more dignified than Trump.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby lpetrich » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 14:52:04

The Authoritarians is a book by Bob Altemeyer on people with strongly authoritarian personalities. In the site, he discusses events since his writing that book: the 2008 election, the Tea Party, and Donald Trump's presidency.
In another sense, however, the fidelity of Trump’s base remains astounding. He has made so many unforced errors because of his lack of understanding and low problem-solving intelligence, his vast ignorance, his enormous, never-ending dishonesty which seems as reflexive as his breathing, his explosive hostility, his uncontrollable vanity, his despicable demeaning of women, his squalid vulgarity, the stupidity of his stereotypes, the shabbiness of his thinking, the buffoonery of his parading, his attacks on the institutions he needs most to safeguard the country, his incredibly poor judgment about the character of those whom he has brought into his administration, his equally mind-numbing lack of judgment about foreign leaders, friend and foe, and his willingness to inflame Americans’ disagreements and turn them into conflagrations which make us that deeply divided house which the Gospels and Abraham Lincoln warned against—how can his supporters have stood so solidly behind him? You’d think they’d be having some second thoughts at least.

The main reason, I submit, is that most of Trump’s backers are authoritarian followers—people who submit too much to the leaders they consider legitimate, trust them too much, and give them too much leeway to do whatever they want.

His books is very interesting. It includes some psychological quizzes so you can see how authoritarian you tend to be, though he is careful to warn that one can be provoked into authoritarianism even if one is usually low on it.

He discusses some role-playing with the Global Change Game. People low on authoritarianism did the best, while in one run, people high in authoritarianism ended up with a simulated nuclear war. A run with all authoritarian followers, however, had little international aggression, but not much international cooperation or problem solving.

The rise of American authoritarianism - Vox -- finding support for Trump strongly correlating with authoritarian tendencies. How authoritarianism was measured:
Feldman developed what has since become widely accepted as the definitive measurement of authoritarianism: four simple questions that appear to ask about parenting but are in fact designed to reveal how highly the respondent values hierarchy, order, and conformity over other values.
  1. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: independence or respect for elders?
  2. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: obedience or self-reliance?
  3. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: to be considerate or to be well-behaved?
  4. Please tell me which one you think is more important for a child to have: curiosity or good manners?
Feldman's test proved to be very reliable. There was now a way to identify people who fit the authoritarian profile, by prizing order and conformity, for example, and desiring the imposition of those values.

This was chosen because it seems innocuous and unconnected with politics.
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 17:13:44

yellowcanoe wrote:
Cog wrote:Did the average family save $2500 per year in insurance costs as was promised by Obama? I think you have your answer.

The Affordable Care Act was about extending insurance coverage to people who didn't have insurance, not about saving people money in insurance premiums.

That was not how obama sold it. But I know the left has short term memory issues.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cog » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 18:05:21

But back to Obama and what he was claiming ObamaCare would do. Seems our leftie members want to flush this down the memory hole like 1984. The chocolate ration will be doubled next week comrade.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o65vMUk5so
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dissident » Tue 09 Oct 2018, 22:54:18

mmasters wrote:I think there should be catastrophic health care for everyone. Call it CATcare. Everyone pays around $50 bucks a month and if there's an issue with a vital organ where you might die or you get life threatening cancer you're covered.

The health care racket, sorry industry, should be broken up so that the whole of the US is the market and not every state is its own trapped market due to differing regulations. The 10% annual health care inflation is clearly evidence of a distorted market. There is no real competition, but instead a semi-regulated oligopoly. Your idea to have the "universal" aspect applied to only part of the health care "industry" is a good one. It creates a safety net but still allows some sort of competitive environment to theoretically dominate. But this requires substantial deregulation and transition to a car insurance type of market.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 13 Oct 2018, 12:57:34

The US Constitution does not mention healthcare. It does however state that anything not in the document is reserved for the States and the People.

The Federal Government needs to keep it's nose out of people's private affairs. It has a role in regulating the Insurance companies, and in providing standards for medicinal purity and safety. But it needs to stay out of the healthcare business.

Keep in mind that I am saying this while on a Medicare supplement policy, which I pay dearly for.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Cog » Sat 13 Oct 2018, 15:43:39

The commerce clause in the US Constitution, and the expanded use of it to encompass all sorts of activity, has led to much meddling by the federal government.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 07:24:32

Donald 'Tiny' Trump. :lol: So that's what all the angst about the size of his hands was all about. I think that's a myth, but is sort of a confirmation. There is also other blatant signs of overcompensation. You know, Big boat, little Johnson. :lol:
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 17 Oct 2018, 08:45:49

Cog wrote:The commerce clause in the US Constitution, and the expanded use of it to encompass all sorts of activity, has led to much meddling by the federal government.

This all goes back to the Agricultural policies of the 1930's when the Supreme's rules that Intrastate commerce impacted Interstate commerce and therefore was fair game for fe3deral control policies. If there were one court ruling I could reverse that would be the one as it opened the door for the Congress to regulate every aspect of American life from cradle to grave, at whim.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 12:07:27

I’m putting this here under Trump domestic because I want to get other folks opinions on Trump and his relation to the military. This piece is really about domestic politics, the famous military/industrial complex. How’s Tump doing? He makes noise of a peace maker and talks of Nationalisim but seems t want to spend big.

And it’s an interesting and thought provoking piece n it’s own right.

https://apple.news/AgHsZsTpLSCm-IuAY8MEgoQ
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 13:56:42

Newfie wrote:I’m putting this here under Trump domestic because I want to get other folks opinions on Trump and his relation to the military. This piece is really about domestic politics, the famous military/industrial complex. How’s Tump doing? He makes noise of a peace maker and talks of Nationalisim but seems t want to spend big.

And it’s an interesting and thought provoking piece n it’s own right.

https://apple.news/AgHsZsTpLSCm-IuAY8MEgoQ
Our problems with the "military-Industrial establishment"go back to the Truman administration and Trump has had little effect on it one way or the other. I certainly would not look to Elizabeth Warren or anyone like her for answers to the problem.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Cog » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 18:16:36

The military is always going to be asking for more money. For the newest and latest generation of laser, bomber, fighter jet, ship, etc. Since our military is under civilian control, its up to our politicians and the voters to determine what capability we want our military to have. A strictly non-interventionist military, geared towards defense is going to be less expensive than one geared towards both offense and defense. We have two big beautiful oceans that keep us separated from our opponents in Asia and Europe. That is a big advantage from a defensive point of view.

Do we need the capability to match any near peer adversary, such as China or Russia, with a conventional military? Or to fight two smaller regional wars simultaneously? Our nuclear capability needs to remain modern and up to date. It costs money but not near what we spend on conventional forces.

If I had my druthers, if Trump asked me, I would recommend a more defensive posture with some capability to respond to a regional conflict elsewhere to assist an ally. As far as I can tell right now, Trump and the Congress is giving the military a more or less blank check on spending. That is because we haven't told the military to scale down the scope of what we want them to do for us. Essentially we want the military to be able to fight any war, at any time, and at any scale. To have that capability costs a lot of money.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 19:31:55

I think that’s half right. The other half is congressmen wanting spending in their home districts and the military is a good way to get it.

Somewhere I read a bitch article about Trump that said the State Department keeps two folks full time employed just to keep Trump from pulling out of Iraq. If true my gut says Trump is right to get out.

Unfortunately I see drone missions are up slightly with Trump. I had hoped he would curtail their use.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 09:33:58

Last April, perhaps in a surge of Czech nationalism, Ivana Trump told her lawyer Michael Kennedy that from time to time her husband reads a book of Hitler’s collected speeches, My New Order, which he keeps in a cabinet by his bed. Kennedy now guards a copy of My New Order in a closet at his office, as if it were a grenade. Hitler’s speeches, from his earliest days up through the Phony War of 1939, reveal his extraordinary ability as a master propagandist.

“Did your cousin John give you the Hitler speeches?” I asked Trump.

Trump hesitated. “Who told you that?”

“I don’t remember,” I said.

“Actually, it was my friend Marty Davis from Paramount who gave me a copy of Mein Kampf, and he’s a Jew.” (“I did give him a book about Hitler,” Marty Davis said. “But it was My New Order, Hitler’s speeches, not Mein Kampf. I thought he would find it interesting. I am his friend, but I’m not Jewish.”)

After Trump and Brenner changed topics, Trump returned to the subject and reportedly said, "If, I had these speeches, and I am not saying that I do, I would never read them."

In the Vanity Fair article, Ivana Trump told a friend that her husband's cousin, John Walter "clicks his heels and says, 'Heil Hitler," when visiting Trump's office.

Hitler was one of history's most prolific orators, building a genocidal Nazi regime with speeches that bewitched audiences.

"He learned how to become a charismatic speaker, and people, for whatever reason, became enamored with him," Professor Bruce Loebs, who has taught a class called the Rhetoric of Hitler and Churchill for the past 46 years at Idaho State University, told Business Insider earlier this year.

"People were most willing to follow him, because he seemed to have the right answers in a time of enormous economic upheaval."

link

Now we know Trump's playbook.
Laura Ingraham Nazi Salute.jpg

Laura Ingraham gives Nazi Salute at RNC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to North America Discussion