Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

wind farm opposed by Donald Trump generates first power

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

wind farm opposed by Donald Trump generates first power

Unread postby EdwinSm » Mon 02 Jul 2018, 10:03:42

I am glad that he was ignored!
BBC wrote:A major North Sea wind power development off Aberdeen which was opposed by Donald Trump has generated its first power.

A total of 11 turbines make up the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre (EOWDC).

Power from the wind farm, developed by Swedish energy group Vattenfall, is being exported to the National Grid.

Mr Trump battled unsuccessfully in the courts to halt the project before he became US president.

He said they would spoil the view from his Aberdeenshire golf course at Menie.

The 11 turbines are the most powerful in the world with a total generating capacity of 93.2 MW.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-44681278

ps. I am glad that the electricity supply firm that I have a contract with is developing renewable energy (although this development is too far from where I live). My current contract is for electricity from 100% fossil free sources.
EdwinSm
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Re: wind farm opposed by Donald Trump generates first power

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 02 Jul 2018, 12:27:53

EdwinSm wrote:
Mr Trump battled unsuccessfully in the courts to halt the project before he became US president.

He said they would spoil the view from his Aberdeenshire golf course at Menie.

Same thing with the Kennedys here in the US, except they were powerful enough to actually stop an offshore wind farm from being built off Cape Cod in Massachusetts because they said it would spoil the view from their family estate.

kennedys-kochs-help-kill-planned-wind-farm-off-cape-cod

The Kennedys put together a weird coalition of environmental and anti-greenhouse warming people---they even teamed up with the Koch family to stop the wind farm.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 02 Jul 2018, 12:52:37

Plantagenet wrote:The Kennedys put together a weird coalition of environmental and anti-greenhouse warming people---they even teamed up with the Koch family to stop the wind farm.

Cheers!

Shhhhhhhhhh! Liberals get very frownie faced when they're whining about evil anti-green right wingers, and you point out how hypocritical so many supposedly green left wingers are -- as soon as being green involves just a bit of personal inconvenience.

You might "trigger" them or make them retreat to a safe space. The PC police will be all over you!!
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Tue 03 Jul 2018, 11:43:23

"Don't want to be fishing next to dangerous steel cement pylons." And we have one more silly misconception. Some of the best fishing (sport and commercial) in the Gulf of Mexico is around the thousands of "steel cement pylons" of our offshore production platforms. They serve as artificial reefs which add greatly to the food chain.

Very easy to search for such FACTS on the web. If one bothers to educate themselves.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 03 Jul 2018, 11:55:55

The anti-Cape Wind sentiments were almost exclusively from the "Summer people" as the locals refer to them. Many potential Middle Class jobs were lost when Cape Wind folded. In truth, the fishery has been in decine for decades, as local fishing backed off in deference to decining stocks of fish, the Japanese, Norwegians, and Icelanders replaced local trawlers.

In spite of those strong prevailing winds, air quality slowly worsens. The concentration of coal power plants in proximity to people on the overpopulated East Coast has no equal anywhere else in the USA. The bulk of the 12,000 annual casualties in the USA from coal effluents occur in this area.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Tue 03 Jul 2018, 13:29:25

Pete, the cynicism is pretty deep. I don't know what the underlying cause is, but I believe you are an intelligent man, who can solve his own problems.

If a woman caused your funk, find another one. If the legalization depressed the local economy, find a different source of income. If it's a health issue, make a lifestyle change. If you are drinking too much, change your diet.

You are in charge of your own life, and the rest of us miss the contributions you used to make here. (In addition to the mockery, because it made listening to the mockery worthwhile.)
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Europe Discussion