Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: Gas price thread..........

Unread postby Sixstrings » Wed 21 Mar 2012, 21:13:18

Revi wrote:The price is going up a bit to around $3.84 here in Maine. We drive a tiny electric car around town, but it's not allowed on the highways. There is a way around these gas prices, but most people won't do it.

Here's what I wonder.. how much does something like a Volt raise your electric bill. Utilities are just going to jack up those costs, I'm dubious over how long folks can save money using electric over gasoline.

Not only that but I'm assuming it will cost a lot to replace the Volt's batteries.

Biggest customer objection to EV is probably concern over random vehicle fire, and if it's a small car folks are leery of sharing the road with huge tractor trailers and big cars -- it is more dangerous, that's a fact, get hit in a subcompact and it's more likely to be seriously injuring / fatal.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Beery1 » Wed 21 Mar 2012, 21:51:21

Silver Spring, MD here: we're currently at an average of $4.00 for a gallon of Regular. Premium's running about $4.35 a gallon.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Cog » Wed 21 Mar 2012, 22:17:51

Price just jumped today from $4.09 for regular to $4.19. We love our 10 cent prices increases in Illinois. Looking back, it was "only" $3.75 about 3 weeks ago.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Thralen » Wed 21 Mar 2012, 22:19:04

$3.55 at the local station I gassed up at today. I'm guessing I-25 being a straight shot to the Texas area keeps our prices down a bit.

Thralen
Common sense is not all that common - Twain

Nowadays, common courtesy is even less common than common sense - Me
Thralen
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Revi » Thu 22 Mar 2012, 07:50:20

Here's what I wonder.. how much does something like a Volt raise your electric bill. Utilities are just going to jack up those costs, I'm dubious over how long folks can save money using electric over gasoline.

Biggest customer objection to EV is probably concern over random vehicle fire, and if it's a small car folks are leery of sharing the road with huge tractor trailers and big cars -- it is more dangerous, that's a fact, get hit in a subcompact and it's more likely to be seriously injuring / fatal.

I agree, it's not a good idea to drive on the highway with something as small as a little NEV, but that's why they aren't allowed on roads posted over 35 mph. Our electricity bill hasn't gone up hardly at all with our little GEM car. I thought it would, but at 1 cent per mile the typical monthly bill would only go up a dollar or so. Our car has deep cycle marine type batteries, so it's not going to burst on fire. It can give you a nasty shock however. I almost cooked my wedding band off my finger with our other car. It turns out that gold is a really good conductor of electricity.

Gas is holding at around $3.83 here in central Maine. I think it's really close to the national average.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby IndigoMoon » Thu 22 Mar 2012, 09:11:22

Ohio- 3.99 most places for regular unleaded. 3.95 is the Ohio average.
Live simply, love generously, care deeply, and speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass;
It's about learning how to dance in the rain.
IndigoMoon
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby careinke » Thu 22 Mar 2012, 23:23:03

Nothing below $4.00 most of the stations around here just raised the price to $4.19. If I remember correctly, we went to around $4.34 the last time.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Sixstrings » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 00:20:21

Revi wrote:..that's why they aren't allowed on roads posted over 35 mph. Our electricity bill hasn't gone up hardly at all with our little GEM car. I thought it would, but at 1 cent per mile the typical monthly bill would only go up a dollar or so. Our car has deep cycle marine type batteries, so it's not going to burst on fire. It can give you a nasty shock however. I almost cooked my wedding band off my finger with our other car. It turns out that gold is a really good conductor of electricity.

Ok see, are these things safe??? Yikes.

As for accidents, actually the majority happen within a few miles of home not on the highways. It's effect on your electricity bill sounds really good -- I wonder how much juice something like a Volt adds to the bill. If gas prices get too high I may start thinking about one, but.. road outside my house is 40 mph. To get anywhere we have two main drags in town, both are 45 mph. Honestly I wouldn't feel good driving this:

I live in town. All it takes is one idiot young driver, or one senile half-blind old bat, to run a red light and slam into the side. I wouldn't want to get hit in a GEM car, that's going to hurt. Maybe I'm over-cautious, I've just known too many people who had motorcycle wrecks and there are lots of accidents around here, happens everyday. About six months ago I was sitting peacefully at a red light, this SUV gets hit by a truck and the SUV flipped and flew upside down through the air right in front of me. Thank goodness they were both big cars.

There are some differences between US and Europe we have to bear in mind:

1. Licenses are harder to get over there, and expensive. Means fewer idiot kids on the road. I think most 16 year olds in Europe don't even have a car.

2. My state is peculiar given our disproportionate number of senile drivers who can't see. Plus the tourists. Plus all the hoodlums. Not safe around here for an EV.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 00:51:56

Sixstrings wrote:I live in town. All it takes is one idiot young driver, or one senile half-blind old bat, to run a red light and slam into the side. I wouldn't want to get hit in a GEM car, that's going to hurt. Maybe I'm over-cautious, I've just known too many people who had motorcycle wrecks and there are lots of accidents around here, happens everyday.
Not safe around here for an EV.

I'm definitely with you on the safety issues Six. I bought my first midsized car in 2003 after driving compacts for a good quarter century when within ONE WEEK in my midsized KY town I would have been in 4 serious wrecks if I hadn't taken serious evasive action. All kids. All paying NO attention and/or doing really stupid things.

I've been in a bad wreck (hit by a drunk) - the physics is impressive. I now wear a seatbelt like it's a religion. I would NEVER drive a cycle on a public road for the reasons you cite.

I'm also with you via your earlier posts about concerns about the Volt, battery replacement costs (and for me - GM longevity and warranty support, size of the car vs. the cost, and of course -- burning coal is still burning a hydrocarbon).

With viable reasonably priced new midsize hybrid cars out now like the 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid -- for only about $3500 more than the regular version -- I still don't see why MANY folks don't take the half-way solution while electric cars of all stripes mature and hopefully get cheaper.

My '03 Altima, despite the 23 city EPA rating really gets about 19 mpg in town. Compare that to the 43 MPG (new - supposedly realistic) EPA rating for the new Camry Hybrid. Same functionality and safety and I've suddenly at least doubled my normal mileage. If gas prices average $5.00 or more over the next decade, the extra $3500 will be a bargain over the life of the car.

Earlier when such cars cost far more AND had a far less impressive mileage improvement -- I fully understand why people were leery. Now there are lots of choices and they're getting truly viable.

If people would drive modern, efficient hybrids and do less (maybe much less) frivolous driving -- things get MUCH better real fast -- on the gasoline demand side. Too bad their pocketbook has to get slammed to convince them.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby dolanbaker » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 04:38:41

Plantagenet wrote:Just back from Barcelona, Spain. Gas was about 1.80 euros per liter, or roughly equivalent to about 7.20 euros per gallon----The Euro is worth about 1.34 right now, so that comes to about $9.65/gallon USD.

No wonder lots of people ride 80 mpg scooters there.

The Average Price in Ireland is currently €1.65.9, Irish prices can be tracked on http://www.pumps.ie/index.php
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Planned obsolescence, one of the largest contributors to the man made element of climate change, but the one least discussed: dolanbaker
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vision-master » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 16:28:42

Up to $3.79 gal as of today.........
vision-master

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 17:55:33

vision-master wrote:Up to $3.79 gal as of today.........

Is that all!!! :badgrin:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Planned obsolescence, one of the largest contributors to the man made element of climate change, but the one least discussed: dolanbaker
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Lore » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 18:19:31

Just hit $4.17/gal. here in MI today. We're just 11 cents away from an all time local high.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
... Theodore Roosevelt
Lore
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Revi » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 20:45:19

We're still at $3.89 here in Maine, and until I read this thread I thought it was expensive. Now I don't feel so bad.
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby careinke » Tue 27 Mar 2012, 21:40:28

Saw $4.25 today.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby rshizzle » Wed 28 Mar 2012, 19:42:52

Dropped to $3.74 this afternoon here in SE Ohio.
rshizzle
Wood
Wood

Unread postby vision-master » Mon 02 Apr 2012, 13:19:14

Today.......... $3.89 gal
vision-master

Unread postby pfreyre » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 07:40:19

Regular fell and then shot up about 20 cents to $3.89 over the last 2 days.
pfreyre
Wood
Wood

Unread postby FairMaiden » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 20:42:08

$1.42/litre here. That's 5.38/US gallon.

There are ppl lined up at the borders every weekend waiting to get across so they can fill up their tanks and fridges (milk and cheese being faves).
FairMaiden
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Roryrules » Wed 04 Apr 2012, 04:46:59

Unleaded petrol here in Denmark recently hit DKK 13.50 a litre, which works out at about $9.50 a US gallon. That's up about a Krone from the beginning of 2012. Expensive stuff...
Roryrules
Peat
Peat

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion