Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Attack on Syria imminent

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Attack on Syria imminent

Unread postby Cog » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 07:01:33

From Trump twitter:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5440747520

Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Re: Attack on Syria imminent

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 10:24:58

Syria is basically a proxy war now.

Putin is backing the Syrian Regime.

The USA is backing the Kurds.

Putin has put Russian troops into Syria to work with the Assad regime.

The USA has 2000 troops with the Kurds.

But Iran has also put troops into Syria to work with the Assad regime.

And Turkey has also put troops into Syria to fight the Kurds.

On the ground its the Assad regime + Russia + Iran + Turkey versus the Kurds + the USA.

I don't quite see what the goal here is for the USA.

Is our goal to help the Kurds militarily defeat the Assad regime + Russia + Iran + Turkey? Thats not going to happen.

Is our goal to slap the Assad regime (and the Russians) on the wrist for using chemical WMDs and then to continue helping the Kurds to fight the Turks and carve out homeland?

Is our goal to pull out of Syria as Trump said two weeks ago?

What is the plan? :?: :?: :?:
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 11:25:55

pstarr wrote:The point is to destabilize the country, sell weapons to the new owners, and get a little crude ta boot

That sounds reasonable, but it doesn't fit the facts on the ground.

Syria was already destabilized, it has almost no oil so nobody is getting any significant amount of crude, and the Kurds in Syria have no money to buy weapons.

So what is the point of the US war in Syria?
The lack of speed has to go faster---Joe Biden
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 11:40:13

Plantagenet wrote:

Perhaps it is something along the lines of "If you have a hammer, everything is a nail!".
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 13:05:32

yellowcanoe wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:

Perhaps it is something along the lines of "If you have a hammer, everything is a nail!".

Well, Obama took the US into the war into in Syria, and I like to think he was a little more sophisticated in his thinking then that.

I suspect Obama felt guilty about abandoning the Syrians after he gave them so much encouragement to start their rebellion against the Assad regime, so he made a half-hearted effort (or half-assed depending on how you look at it) effort to intervene militarily for humanitarian reasons and to defeat ISIS and to help the rebellion against Assad. However, being Obama he said the right things but didn't carry through to completion on any of those goals.

But at least Obama had goals. What in heck are Trump's goals?

Just two weeks ago Trump said he was pulling the US out of Syria. However, Trump seems to be genuinely outraged when Assad uses WMDs, so now he is going to bomb the Assad regime again just like a year ago.

OK. Thats not unreasonable. But what comes after that?

Is Trump still going to pull out all US troops from Syria after he bombs Assad, or does this mark a total reversal of the policy Trump outlined two weeks ago and perhaps even an expansion of direct US troop involvement in Syria?

Cheers!
The lack of speed has to go faster---Joe Biden
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 16:53:26

According to Plant, it's an Obama forum and will always be one.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-I'm glad Trump is in there now. I think we'll have a vaccine in a couple of months. (mmasters, 3/17/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 18:44:27

I had hope Trump would disentangle us from Syria.

I can see no rational for our being involved.

I’ve never even heard a credible explanation.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Rod_Cloutier » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 19:15:02

2014kiev.jpg

This direct conflict with Russia could lead to WWIII. Nuclear war is bad for business.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod_Cloutier
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 19:27:10

I don’t worry about an all out nuclear war. I think all sides understand it’s not in anyone’s interest.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 22:33:37

Newfie wrote:I don’t worry about an all out nuclear war. I think all sides understand it’s not in anyone’s interest.

Putin showing off how he'd nuke Florida doesn't instill me with confidence he won't follow through.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-I'm glad Trump is in there now. I think we'll have a vaccine in a couple of months. (mmasters, 3/17/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Cog » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 05:48:35

It has occurred to me just recently that the President might be crazy.

His early morning tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 2587965440

Never said when an attack on Syria would take place. Could be very soon or not so soon at all! In any event, the United States, under my Administration, has done a great job of ridding the region of ISIS. Where is our “Thank you America?”
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 07:11:54

Cog wrote:It has occurred to me just recently that the President might be crazy.

His early morning tweet:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 2587965440

Never said when an attack on Syria would take place. Could be very soon or not so soon at all! In any event, the United States, under my Administration, has done a great job of ridding the region of ISIS. Where is our “Thank you America?”

Why didn't you just ask me a year ago!
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 08:01:19

Well neither of us are trained psychiatrists so it doesn't matter what we think. I use the layman's term crazy not insane. Trump is certainty impulsive. To the point, his tweets seem irrational to me.

I'm just a little sore at him right now. I have a equities trading strategy and its getting roiled by his early morning tweets.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 10:37:20

Cog – Difficult to now if the latest POTUS tweets are impulsive or if he’s been given good advice from the military. It’s a very old strategy to make the enemy think you’re about to attack and then not attack. And do so repeatedly even to the point of sending in a dummy attack profile. Defensive unit cohesiveness deteriorates when kept of ready alert. Nerves get raw and mental fatigue sets in. Also by signaling a false attack we can watch the enemy’s response. For instance, its been reported that Syria has repositioned its aircraft. Between satellites and AWAC’s we should now exactly where they went to “hide” and can modify any attack plan accordingly.

And obviously very important to see how the Russians respond to an apparent attack before we actually put lives at risk.
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 10:46:09

I know how deception is used in warfare. I'm not going to give Trump credit for his tactical expertise on this one. He hasn't read Sun Tzu, I have.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby evilgenius » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 11:29:50

I don't know what is happening, but I can say what I think is going on. Eventually the US will take the Russian oil fields. That's the long range plan. It's contingent upon some world changing discovery in fusion energy, or such. To do that they need stability on their flanks. They'll need to pacify both Syria and Iran. The Syrians were influential in important ways under Hafez al-Assad. The destabilization is what happens when an entity like that gets neutralized. That doesn't mean eradicated, but left unable to be that influential again. They are far enough away from the important basing point of Iraq that the physical presence of even a belligerent Syrian regime is not all that dangerous to US plans. What must happen regarding them is that they are not capable of instigating and supporting the kind of wide scale terror campaigns they once were. Putting pipelines across the country would be another boon. It would make closing off the Persian Gulf less of a problem.

They're trying to do this without going nuclear. That kind of war probably wouldn't give them what they want. To do that they need the operation to create the necessary reasons for an invasion of Southern Russia. That's probably where Turkey and the Kurds will really come in. That whole thing can heat up for a decade or so, eventually rolling in the Armenians and every other useful country or people with a grudge, until the violence spreads into Southern Russia. Soon enough all kinds of proxy actors could be doing things in Southern Russia that nobody ever thought would happen. That's why the US loves the Ukraine, but doesn't want them to outright settle with Russia. They want seething tension enough to cause panic and terror. Thirty to fifty years from now the US military will walk into the region from their positions ensconced in the Middle East. They'll take it with more of a whimper than anything else. The Russians might even invite them in. By 2100 the US will have de facto control over practically the entire supply of oil, eventually controlling it by economic means, that remains in the world.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby careinke » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 11:53:01

Cog wrote:I know how deception is used in warfare. I'm not going to give Trump credit for his tactical expertise on this one. He hasn't read Sun Tzu, I have.

How do you know he hasn't read Sun Tzu? It's a small book, and not a very difficult read. Now, applying the principles in real life is a little more difficult. :roll:

On the other hand, Sun Tzu would not have entered this conflict in the first place.
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Next

Return to North America Discussion