Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Tax Overhaul Keeps Breaks for Wind and Solar

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 13:42:48

The tax overhaul passed this week by Congress leaves tax breaks for solar and utility-scale wind projects in place, but does not restore tax credits for ground-source heat pumps and small wind turbines as those two "orphan technologies" had hoped.

Read more: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/green-building-news/tax-overhaul-keeps-breaks-wind-and-solar
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: Tax Overhaul Keeps Breaks for Wind and Solar

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 26 Dec 2017, 17:17:19

Well at least they didn't extend the ridiculous incentives even further into the future. I prefer they were axed now as they are a huge malinvestment, but that is niether here nor there.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 26 Dec 2017, 17:42:26

Tanada wrote:Well at least they didn't extend the ridiculous incentives even further into the future. I prefer they were axed now as they are a huge malinvestment, but that is niether here nor there.

I noticed this was an example of moderation being the effect after compromise, in the final bill.

To me, for a change, I think the incentive on EV's is a decent compromise, if the goal is to help the industry reach a critical mass, and then let it succeed (or not) on its own merits including unincentivized costs.

I definitely agree with not having significant extensions.

So Tanada, do you think EV's are a bad thing, re the "huge malinvestment"? Or just having the government helping pay for them? Not disagreeing, just curious.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 26 Dec 2017, 19:19:03

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Tanada wrote:Well at least they didn't extend the ridiculous incentives even further into the future. I prefer they were axed now as they are a huge malinvestment, but that is niether here nor there.

I noticed this was an example of moderation being the effect after compromise, in the final bill.

To me, for a change, I think the incentive on EV's is a decent compromise, if the goal is to help the industry reach a critical mass, and then let it succeed (or not) on its own merits including unincentivized costs.

I definitely agree with not having significant extensions.

So Tanada, do you think EV's are a bad thing, re the "huge malinvestment"? Or just having the government helping pay for them? Not disagreeing, just curious.

I don't mind the EV credits one way or the other, I was referring to the windmills and solar PV credits that are resulting in a large build out of power systems that will drive up prices for consumers over time. The subsidies are getting alot of solar PV built not far from where I am, but once the tax incentives go away the costs of that electricity for maintaining the systems will be higher than the cost of the natural gas plant down the road in the other direction. That will make my power bill go up just because the town next door eagerly went after the solar PV subsidies in a state where this time of year we have 6 hours of decent sunshine sometimes and heavy clouds every other day. I live here and I know we get a lot more cloudy weather and shorter winter days than Los Angeles, but the federal subsidies are written as if everywhere was prime Solar PV territory.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Energy Technology