Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Can The US Survive An EMP Attack?

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 10:35:31

While there’s no question that a nuclear strike on the Continental US would be utterly devastating, it’s not the only way a rogue state like North Korea could kill millions of American civilians in one fell swoop. Another possibility that is being studied by lawmakers and Pentagon officials is – like North Korea itself – a vestige of the Cold War. We’re of course referring to an electromagnetic pulse. By detonating a hydrogen bomb in just the right spot miles above the Earth’s surface, the North could permanently damage the US power grid – maybe even take it offline completely. By robbing entire swaths of the US of electricity, the North could precipitate thousands – if not millions – of deaths. The North first threatened an EMP attack over the summer, and North Korean media and its people have mentioned it several

Peak oil in 2020: And here is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3ttqYDwF0
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Re: Can The US Survive An EMP Attack?

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 19:42:46

I think the USA could, NK? Not so much.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Cog » Sat 23 Dec 2017, 22:44:55

Overblown threat by a country not able to deliver it in the first place.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 10:05:39

I often wonder how much of our military hardware/software comes from China.

More generally put, how reliant are our militaries our possible belligerent states?

I've read some Navy ships have used Windows computers for their networking. Not sure now, that may have been only a trial to keep costs down.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 13:03:03

I think that the EMP danger is actually real. I don't know what the cost would be to shield electrical generation. I think it's an expense that shouldn't be left until after its importance is discovered before it is paid. I don't think that if everyone's car stopped working, or their computers quit it would devastate the country nearly as much as if huge swaths of the country were looking at months before they got electricity back.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 24 Dec 2017, 13:35:01

Kinda like PR?

But without outside help.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 05:38:30

Newfie wrote:Kinda like PR?

Automatically raising the question how many freeze and starve if there is no food distribution and winter heating? Heck a two week blackout times with an arctic cold front would leave much of the northern tier freezing in the dark! I can't speak for you but my super efficient natural gas furnace needs 110 current to operate at all let alone distribute the heat through my home and prevent pipes from freezing this time of year.

So far the USA has been extremely lucky, every blackout with an extended power outage has happened in summer usually triggered by a heat wave. Over the next 10 days I am forecast to be in the single digit F temperature range every night so this time of year an outage would be tantamount to a death sentence for many, especially coupled with the 5" of snow and high winds drifting many roads closed.

An EMP or Coronal Mass Ejection causing a blackout right now would be very very bad for Ohio and about 23 other states where this arctic cold front is pouring through right now.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 08:31:45

Yes, we have been very lucky.

I equipped our house in Philadelphia with a dead stupid simple diesel generator, Chinese, back before emission controls. 6kw. The main purpose being to keep power to the oil forced hot air heater. Freeze thaw would kill the pipes and create massive damage.

Now that I’m not there to start the thing I don’t know. Maybe I could talk one of the tenents through it.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Tanada » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 12:16:52

Newfie wrote:Yes, we have been very lucky.

I equipped our house in Philadelphia with a dead stupid simple diesel generator, Chinese, back before emission controls. 6kw. The main purpose being to keep power to the oil forced hot air heater. Freeze thaw would kill the pipes and create massive damage.

Now that I’m not there to start the thing I don’t know. Maybe I could talk one of the tenents through it.

You still own the building and rent the spaces, don't you have a Superintendent to take care of issues while you are not present? If not I would very strongly advise you rent a handyman one of the apartments at half price, the savings in prevented damage is more than worth the costs.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby evilgenius » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 12:42:32

Newfie wrote:Kinda like PR?

I was thinking of them. I recently bought an inverter to convert from DC to AC. In the process, I discovered a lot of satisfied customer ratings of various brands placed there by people who had shipped inverters to their relatives there, and who heard good things back about how they were running.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 25 Dec 2017, 16:25:23

Tanada,
Yes we have a building manager who has a handyman. Because of this thread I will likely meet with him and show him how the system operates. Also one of our long term tenents.

Thanks.

I bought the gen set in 1999 in part because of Y2K but also because the power company had been struggling with large power outages in our neighborhood. Some then they have spent millions to upgrade the grid and outages are now rate. None the less, not good to get complacent.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics