Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Guy McPherson

Re: Guy McPherson

Unread postby Fredrik » Thu 14 Mar 2019, 10:22:07

vtsnowedin wrote:
Fredrik wrote:The suitability of Saharan sand for glass is a meaningless debate if there is not enough water for growing things in greenhouses/tunnels.

The glass would greatly reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation making trucked in water or desalinated sea water viable.
I don't think this is a cheap option just cheaper then the practicality of moving farming north into what is now boreal forest.

I would suppose that gradually expanding farmland northwards - cutting down trees, removing stubs, roots etc. and fertilizing and alkalizing the soil - would be a daunting task, but still more viable than building greenhouses or tunnels in the middle of sand deserts and then trucking in both fertilizer and water from far away, considering the cost of fuel and energy for water desalination. But I haven't done any calculations for the latter scenario.
"Only scarcity and effort make life worth living."
"A fundamental, devastating error is to set up a political system based on [individual] desires." -Pentti Linkola
Fredrik
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 14 Mar 2019, 10:32:26

Fredrik wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Fredrik wrote:The suitability of Saharan sand for glass is a meaningless debate if there is not enough water for growing things in greenhouses/tunnels.

The glass would greatly reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation making trucked in water or desalinated sea water viable.
I don't think this is a cheap option just cheaper then the practicality of moving farming north into what is now boreal forest.

I would suppose that gradually expanding farmland northwards - cutting down trees, removing stubs, roots etc. and fertilizing and alkalizing the soil - would be a daunting task, but still more viable than building greenhouses or tunnels in the middle of sand deserts and then trucking in both fertilizer and water from far away, considering the cost of fuel and energy for water desalination. But I haven't done any calculations for the latter scenario.

The people actually risking the money will use a very sharp pencil when computing which way is the cheapest. Location matters a lot with desert between LA and San Diego being a lot different then something in central Nevada etc.. The availability of solar power adjacent to southern sites is a big factor that I think swings it in the Souths favor but you would have to wait until the need arises to get real prices to consider.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby onlooker » Sat 16 Mar 2019, 20:37:20

Eight Distinct Paths to Loss of Human Habitat

https://guymcpherson.com/2019/03/edge-o ... n-habitat/
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jupiters_release » Sun 17 Mar 2019, 12:04:22

Someone needs to inform Guy this anthropogenic sixth great extinction will not wipe out all life on earth. There's already a relatively new species of fungi thriving at Fukushima Daiichi.
Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish opinions.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Sun 17 Mar 2019, 12:09:10

jupiters_release wrote:Someone needs to inform Guy this anthropogenic sixth great extinction will not wipe out all life on earth. There's already a relatively new species of fungi thriving at Fukushima Daiichi.

I thought Guy thought just humans would go extinct not all life.
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby jupiters_release » Sun 17 Mar 2019, 15:29:26

onlooker wrote:
jupiters_release wrote:Someone needs to inform Guy this anthropogenic sixth great extinction will not wipe out all life on earth. There's already a relatively new species of fungi thriving at Fukushima Daiichi.

I thought Guy thought just humans would go extinct not all life.

You didn't watch his video you just linked?
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Revi » Fri 29 Mar 2019, 09:45:29

Hard to tell, but it could get a lot harder to live with droughts, famines and war. I don't believe in total extinction, but it could get nasty in the next 30 years. I'll probably be off the planet by then, but it's going to be a Hobbsian world by mid century!
Deep in the mud and slime of things, even there, something sings.
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 01 Apr 2019, 22:14:04

I was very excited to see that Guy McPherson will be giving a lecture here at the University of Alaska!

Its scheduled for thursday. Thursday is usually my day to go on the weekly "beer run" held at a local bar, but I wouldn't miss this lecture for anything. I'm going to take a pass on the beer run and go see Guy. I've asked some friends to join me for the lecture---and one of them is an angry and annoying right-wing climate denier type.

It should all be great fun.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Mon 01 Apr 2019, 23:47:16

Plantagenet wrote:I've asked some friends to join me for the lecture---and one of them is an angry and annoying right-wing climate denier type.

I'm sure he'll be puzzled why you brought him there since you're an angry and annoying right-winger who for some inexplicable reason believes in AGW (but won't stop flying).
EXTREME PREDICTION LEADERBOARD
"this is peak now. Wanna bet? The Real Pain starts . . . now." (11/21/18)" --pstarr
"$0/barrel soon as per etp." (12/30/18)" --pstarr
ATTN: SHORT LOST A BET AND WON'T EVEN ADMIT HE MADE ONE. HE SHOULD NOT BE WELCOME HERE!!!
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 02 Apr 2019, 18:53:42

"I don't believe in total extinction"

Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean it can't kill you! :shock:
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby onlooker » Tue 02 Apr 2019, 18:57:21

Plantagenet wrote:I was very excited to see that Guy McPherson will be giving a lecture here at the University of Alaska!

Its scheduled for thursday. Thursday is usually my day to go on the weekly "beer run" held at a local bar, but I wouldn't miss this lecture for anything. I'm going to take a pass on the beer run and go see Guy. I've asked some friends to join me for the lecture---and one of them is an angry and annoying right-wing climate denier type.

It should all be great fun.

Cheers!

Hope your friend does not disrupt the lecture :lol:
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 02 Apr 2019, 20:55:49

onlooker wrote:Hope your friend does not disrupt the lecture

People asking questions don't disrupt anything. Its a fundamental part of what lectures are for.

Its the people who don't ask questions who make me uncomfortable. Whats wrong with them? Did they sleep through the whole lecture? Are their brains so sluggish they don't have any questions after listening for an hour? Are they disappearing into the wall? Whats up with them?

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Revi » Wed 03 Apr 2019, 07:14:03

I would love to see it. I don't agree with his fast extinction theory, but I would like to see the information he presents to support it. It's bad enough what's happening. Just the facts are scary enough without any extrapolation!
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby jupiters_release » Wed 03 Apr 2019, 23:47:31

Revi wrote:I would love to see it. I don't agree with his fast extinction theory, but I would like to see the information he presents to support it. It's bad enough what's happening. Just the facts are scary enough without any extrapolation!

Where have you been? He's presented the data for years now ad nauseam.
jupiters_release
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 04 Apr 2019, 00:01:16

jupiters_release wrote:
Revi wrote:I would love to see it. I don't agree with his fast extinction theory, but I would like to see the information he presents to support it. It's bad enough what's happening. Just the facts are scary enough without any extrapolation!

1. Its different seeing and hearing someone speak in person then it is to watch them on a youtube recording. Its like the difference between hearing some rock group on a cassette tape as opposed to seeing them in person. In person is lots more better.

2. The "data" keeps being updated. For instance, we just had the warmest March on record here in Alaska, and sea ice in the Bering Sea and Arctic Ocean around Alaska is at all time record lows this spring. I'm curious to see if Guy will discuss this, and what the Professors here at the University of Alaska---who have spent their careers monitoring climate and sea ice and snow cover in the Arctic will have to say about it.

3. I have some questions I'd like to ask Guy myself.

4. I'm bringing some friends along ---mostly rational people but with one very intelligent but very stubborn denier---and it will fun to go to a nice quiet little bar I know afterward and discuss what we just heard over a beer.

CHEERS!
"Its a brave new world"
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cog » Thu 04 Apr 2019, 00:17:58

Beer always enhances discussion.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Revi » Thu 04 Apr 2019, 09:25:18

jupiters_release wrote:

I know. I follow Arctic News by Sam Carana. It's the latest news on what's going on. Most of it is pretty good.

http://arctic-news.blogspot.com
Revi
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 07 Apr 2019, 00:20:13

I went to both of Guy's lectures and then I went to a small party for Guy. The first lecture was primarily on the data that Guy believes shows the world is headed for imminent doom. The second lecture was Guy fumbling around with the idea of imminent doom and the psychological impacts of such belief. The party was pleasant and a nice chance to chat with Guy a bit in an informal, non-structured setting.

I came away with a mixed impression. Guy really knows the scientific literature, but he does cherry pick just those studies that support his view. In fact you get the impression the "doomer" mindset came first and then a search for data to confirm it.

Guy pretty much presents his contention that world will in "three years" as settled and beyond debate. He refers people to his website if they question the idea that everyone will be dead in three years.

Guy's main interest now is the psychological impact of "knowing" the world will end in three years. Guy is "in press" with a new peer reviewed article on the psychological impact of imminent global doom, and his suggestion is that we need a "global hospice" to help everyone deal with it. And he also thinks we should find love and dance and generally find our own personal joy however possible before the world ends in three years.

Personally I found him to be personally charming, very intelligent, and a very very good lecturer. He is a little impatient with people who question him. There is also a slight edge of desperation about money. For instance they passed the hat for a "love offering" for Guy during the lecture, and Guy frequently mentioned his lack of income for his work.

But my overall impression is positive. But then, I'm also convinced that global warming will bring us doom eventually. I can't quite see how everyone on earth is supposed to die in 3 years, as Guy strenuously asserts. Ask me three years from now if he was right or wrong about it.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Sun 07 Apr 2019, 01:04:03

Guy is an optimist! If I'm going to go and see the people around me go, I want it to be quick.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 07 Apr 2019, 03:40:49

Guy is an aging person. He believes that together with him everyone else will die (and such view is correct from a personal perspective of *anyone* who is about to die).
I would not be surprised, if he has commited suicide within said 3 years or so.
Another well respected doomer (founder of #collapsenet#, forgot his name) have done just that.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate