Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 2 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 12 Jul 2019, 16:03:49

Plantagenet wrote:The car wasn't charging or even plugged in. It just self-combusted.

I must confess I'm disappointed to read this since TESLA recently announced they had "fixed" the self-combustion problem. Maybe they will now issue a fix to correct their latest fix and really fix it.
Cheers!

I definitely agree on the issue re announcing a fix previously (reducing charging speeds). Apparently Tesla TRIED to fix the problem, or did something to be able to claim they had it in hand.

Of course, as with so many things with Tesla, when the incidents continue to occur, just another ding in Elon's/Tesla's credibility.

OTOH, with the various reports in recent months, it's clearly not just Tesla that has this problem. HEV's increasingly are being reported with this kind of issue, so it's not just big BEV batteries, etc.

Given their track record re admitting to defects or fixing serious problems with their cars, Tesla won't do anything expensive to fix the problem until they are forced to. Their financials are already terrible, and when they go to the markets to borrow money, the terms are getting worse.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby GHung » Fri 12 Jul 2019, 18:50:55

Given their track record re admitting to defects or fixing serious problems with their cars, Tesla won't do anything expensive to fix the problem until they are forced to.

Uh,,, they've changed their battery configurations and chemistry, moving away from the 18650 cells to larger cells; even a redesigned packaging/cooling system.
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Re: Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 2 (merged)

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 13 Jul 2019, 17:35:56

They make continual changes across the board, but that doesn't change the fact that their existing cars could have recall-grade faults. This is all part and parcel of Tesla's trial-and-error approach which works in software but fails miserably with manufacturing. You can't fix a battery design flaw with an OTA update.
ATTN: SHORT LOST A BET AND HE WON'T EVEN ADMIT HE MADE ONE. HIS POSTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY AND HE SHOULD NOT BE WELCOME HERE
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology