Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 23

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 23

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 13 Jan 2024, 00:47:17

theluckycountry wrote: We seem to be getting more floods here than over the past 60 odd years, property prices along the major rivers that have seen floods are down and taking longer than usual to recover. Horrendous storms have been causing havoc up in my state as well. I beginning to wonder if a reinforced concrete home high in the mountains might not be the way to go in the future?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ossil-fuel

Yes, the river lowlands are flooding in Australia.....but at other times the mountain forests are also burning.

If you move to a concrete home in the mountains make sure that it can survive a forest fire.

Huge Fires burn through the low, forested "mountains" in eastern Australia.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 13 Jan 2024, 19:09:05

theluckycountry wrote:What if Governments globally do something drastic, like they did over the Magic Virus. What if they severely rationed gasoline, or interfered with our driving habits in other ways? I have a particularly expensive motorcycle that I was mothballing to sell off in the future, a real keeper bike that's in demand.

Is it a Ducati? I don't ride motorcycles, but if I had to take a last ride, it would be on something like that.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sun 14 Jan 2024, 02:12:42

No, but it's something like that. opsec prevents me from elaborating :P
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tuike » Sun 11 Feb 2024, 14:54:22

Global ocean temperatures have officially gone off the chart. We are in a climate emergency.
Eric Holthaus Bluesky
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Subjectivist » Mon 12 Feb 2024, 21:13:30

News from Vermont news media;
Through the first 12 days of February, the snow depth at Burlington, VT has been 0" or a trace. During the snow depth period of record (1895-present) this is the 1st time there hasn't been measurable snow on the ground during any of the the first twelve days of February.
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 13 Feb 2024, 09:27:59

Tuike wrote:Global ocean temperatures have officially gone off the chart. We are in a climate emergency.
Eric Holthaus Bluesky

Yes. I remember all the boffins being confused for a decade as to why the global temps weren't increasing, then someone looked at the ocean temps, that's where it was all going. From memory it was hard to pick up on because the top few hundred meters of the ocean mixed rapidly so the warmer water was being drawn down.

Of course the specific heat capacity of water is massive compared to the air so it was able to soak up mountains of heat. Then it reached a sort of limit for rapid absorption and thereafter heat was released periodically, leading to the super hurricanes and over the top rain events. Basically huge amounts of water was evaporating from the oceans and taking the latent heat of evaporation with it. That's why steam is so super hot, heat being just a measure of the motion of particles.

So now it's really heating up down there. I expect a lot of big rain events in the years to come and massive flooding. Serious cyclones too no doubt but for some reason they have not occurred much over the past few years, especially here? Very complex the weather systems of the Earth, many drivers, not just heat. I wonder what's happening with that warm current up off England, it was slated to slow down and cause havoc to their weather.
après moi le déluge
theluckycountry
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate