Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Ban Household Natural Gas?

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Ban Household Natural Gas?

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 15 Oct 2022, 04:24:31

Gas extraction causing earthquakes in Holland.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... rgy-crisis
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 15 Oct 2022, 04:26:41

Shaved Monkey wrote:Still hold a flame for gas? Going electric can save up to $1900 a year

Home owners in Australia’s capitals could save between $500 and $1900 a year on their electricity bills by replacing gas heating, cooking and hot water appliances with electric alternatives, according to analysis from the Climate Council.

The Climate Council, an organisation that advocates to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, wants governments to help Australians get off gas by providing low or zero-interest loans to help with the upfront costs of replacing appliances.

It has developed a calculator (below) to estimate the savings when switching from one, or all, gas appliances.
Saul Griffith, the author of The Big Switch and the head of Rewiring Australia, said his organisation carried out a study last year that considered the full electrification of Australian houses, including vehicles.

It found that by 2030, the average householder should be saving between $3000 and $5000 a year.

“If we redid the analysis now, those numbers would be higher,” Griffiths said. “Of course, you have to power that with renewable electricity, but that is now cheaper than coal.”

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/c ... 5bp96.html

That analysis is very location dependent. Won’t work so well in Chicago or Berlin. Better in Vegas.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaved Monkey » Sat 15 Oct 2022, 20:39:49

True

it depends on climate thats why its more cost effective in the colder states of Australia who use gas for heating and less effective for the tropical and subtropical states who rarely heat and already use electricity for cooling.

Being sub tropical,I dont use a heater( portable electric) more than 2 or 3 unseasonably cold nights a year(mainly a few hours at night before we go to bed) but I dont have an aircon either.....supposed to be the perfect climate pocket where I am ("Hawaiian") only a few places on earth have it.

Already have an induction stove and a solar hot water system that doesnt require electric boost more than a few days a year too.
I converted an electric hot water and an electric stove,so the savings for me would be negligible compared to if I changed from gas.
I could add batteries to my house solar system and an electric car to save more but it doesnt justify the up front costs.

Dads house being in a temperate zone with gas heating cooking and hot water and no solar would save thousands a year
Ready to turn Zombies into WWOOFers
Shaved Monkey
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 16 Oct 2022, 03:36:44

True all.

Temperate zone living will become an expensive luxury.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency