Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 10:20:07

Elon Musk’s Ultimatum to Tesla Execs: Return to the Office or Get Out

World’s richest man demands at least 40 hours a week in office Those who oppose should go ‘pretend to work somewhere else’

Dana HullJune 1, 2022, 12:46 PM EDT
The world’s richest man has had it with this whole working-from-home business.

Tesla Inc. Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk sent an email late Tuesday to “Everybody” at his electric-car company, elaborating on an earlier missive to executive staff about the need to be in the office. Employees at numerous companies, used to working from home or hybrid policies, have revolted against “RTO” policies and long commutes.

Read More: Elon Musk's Demand Staffers Stop 'Phoning It in' May Cost Him Talent

“Everyone at Tesla is required to spend a minimum of 40 hours in the office per week,” Musk wrote in an email titled “To be super clear.” “Moreover, the office must be where your actual colleagues are located, not some remote pseudo office. If you don’t show up, we will assume you have resigned.”

Bloomberg News confirmed that current Tesla employees received the email Wednesday morning.

Bloomberg green
“The more senior you are, the more visible must be your presence,” Musk wrote. “That is why I lived in the factory so much -- so that those on the line could see me working alongside them. If I had not done that, Tesla would long ago have gone bankrupt.”

Earlier, Musk sent an email to executive staff requiring that they be in “a main Tesla office, not a remote branch office unrelated to the job duties, for example being responsible for Fremont factory human relations, but having your office be in another state.”

In recent weeks, Musk has praised Tesla China employees for “burning the 3 am oil” while saying that Americans are “trying to avoid going to work at all.”

Thousands of Tesla staff in Shanghai have been effectively locked in for months, working 12-hour shifts, six days a week. Until recently, many were sleeping on the factory floor as part of a closed-loop system meant to keep Covid out and cars rolling off the production line.

Workers brought in to bring the factory back up to speed are being shuttled between the facility and sleeping quarters -- either unused factories or an old military camp -- with day- and night-shift workers sharing beds in makeshift dorms.

When a fan on Twitter asked Musk to address people who think going into work is an antiquated concept, he replied “They should pretend to work somewhere else.”

It’s not the first time Musk’s tough-love treatment of employees has come up.

Roughly two weeks before Musk reached a $44 billion deal to acquire Twitter Inc., Keith Rabois, a Silicon Valley venture capitalist and entrepreneur, tweeted an anecdote that speaks to his friend’s management style. At Space Exploration Technologies Corp., Musk once noticed a group of interns milling around while waiting in a line for coffee.

Musk threatened to fire them all if it happened again, and had security cameras installed to monitor compliance, according to Rabois, who knows Tesla’s founder from their days at PayPal Holdings Inc.

Employees at Twitter -- one of the most prominent companies to allow permanent remote work -- are “in for a rude awakening,” Rabois wrote in April.


LINK
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
User avatar
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16646
Joined: Thu 28 Apr 2005, 03:00:00
Location: South West shore Lake Erie, OH, USA

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 13:05:46

Watching the Musk follies is like watching your mothers favorite soap opera. A new cliff hanger every day.
I'm beginning to wonder if the Cyber truck I dropped a deposit on will ever be produced. If and when it is I expect the price to be way higher then what was first advertised so probably not a reasonable investment for me. That being the case I will look at the other vehicles then available for delivery including the Ford lighting.
Of course I could just opt for one last ICE pickup and let the EV world of wonders pass me by.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13775
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 03:00:00

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 13:19:02

vtsnowedin wrote: Of course I could just opt for one last ICE pickup and let the EV world of wonders pass me by.


Who cares about world of wonders. As far as I'm concerned, gee whiz ain't it cool is the LAST reason to buy a new technology. The wife and I are going round and round about exactly that, her and her desire for a Tesla, which has NOTHING to do with efficiency, and everything to do with world of wonders.

I'll take lack of maintenance and a fraction of $/mile fuel costs that destroy ICE powered cager economics.
What does a science denier look like?

Armageddon » Thu 09 Feb 2006, 10:47:28
whales are a perfect example as to why evolution is wrong. Nothing can evolve into something that enormous. There is no explanation for it getting that big. end of discussion
User avatar
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 7740
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 17:10:26

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 13:34:00

Like powerball tickets the Cyber truck is a cheap dream. I have not turned a head driving a vehicle sense 1975 with my 68 Camaro. So the idea of showing up places with the Cyber truck had its attraction. Also I dreamed of passing it on to my Granddaughter so she could drive it to college about 2038. Of course like all old peoples dreams for their children she will probably not want to be caught dead driving Gramps old pipe dream.
In the end I will probably see if I can get my $100 back.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13775
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 03:00:00

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 13:52:13

vtsnowedin wrote: Of course like all old peoples dreams for their children she will probably not want to be caught dead driving Gramps old pipe dream.
In the end I will probably see if I can get my $100 back.


Gramps pipe dream indeed. The missus is currently having fits. What do kids and grand kids know about cool stuff anyway? I'm building a comfortable, long range, analog based, capable of towing a ton of trailer and cargo, rebuildable if it breaks by me or any other independent mechanic shops from junkyard parts if necessary, long range (North America exclusive) with plenty of cargo space for going walk about machine. Wife and children are aghast. The machine will have such meager intrinsic value to someone else that if they steal it, I won't care much, and will build another. If it breaks down where it can't be fixed, I can set it ablaze and walk away without regret. The wife is demanding I sell it immediately to some homeless person who can probably afford it and use it for a place to sleep and put the cash towards a Tesla down payment.
What does a science denier look like?

Armageddon » Thu 09 Feb 2006, 10:47:28
whales are a perfect example as to why evolution is wrong. Nothing can evolve into something that enormous. There is no explanation for it getting that big. end of discussion
User avatar
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer
 
Posts: 7740
Joined: Mon 28 Dec 2015, 17:10:26

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 14:31:13

The EU is moving to label lithium as a "toxic" substance.

energy-transition-goals-risk-eu-may-label-lithium-toxic

If this happens it will greatly increase the price of EVs because toxic chemicals require special handling at every step to avoid all contact with people. People come into contact with lithium during Mining, transporting, refining, processing, manufacturing, in EVcars, recycling after use.......at every step new procedures will have to be introduced to protect people from comingn into contact with lithium.

Of course the price of EVs is already exploding because the price of lithium has gone up so much......if the EU labels lithium a "toxic" substance then look for more large price increases in the cost of EVs.

Image
Be careful with that toxic lithium, OK?

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 25516
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 17:30:09

So pregnant and breastfeeding women should not ingest any lithium or work at a lithium mine or processing facility? Seems manageable to me. The regulatory process will probably do more harm then the lithium will.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13775
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 03:00:00

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 19 Jun 2022, 18:05:25

vtsnowedin wrote:So pregnant and breastfeeding women should not ingest any lithium or work at a lithium mine or processing facility? Seems manageable to me. The regulatory process will probably do more harm then the lithium will.


Worker safety is important........I sure wouldn't want to be down in a lithium mine working 12 hours a day.

But my main point is that declaring Lithium a toxin will add more cost to the price of an EV......which is already more expensive then a comparable ICE car.

Tesla increased their EV prices in March 2022 because of the rising cost of lithium, and they just announced a second round of price increases for June 2022

Tesla has now had two price increases in three months.

another-tesla-price-increase-june-2022-

If the EU declares lithium a toxic material, that will no doubt cause more price increases.

Already EVs are too expensive for most consumers.....increasing their price again and again and again does nothing to make them more affordable.

Image
EV prices have gone up 25% since this graph was made......with more big jumps in price coming soon!

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 25516
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby PeakOilFanatic » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 07:49:04

Ford F-150 "Lightning" is destroying the few remaining independent Ford Stealerships left because they have HUGE markups on the Mustang Mach E.

So Ford has decided to get rid of the stealerships altogether and sell the E-junk online so that "Ford" gets the money. But the truth is Ford does even exist anymore. Its basically owned by Blackrock and Vanguard. All in anticipation that the loyal F-150 debt bomb holders will end up losing their home.
PeakOilFanatic
permanently banned
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon 13 Jun 2022, 13:48:17

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 09:07:51

Marine jnsurance is now taking a closer look at Lithium batteries, LiFe in particular IIRC.

May require "professional" installation along with a complete Battery Management System.
User avatar
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 17117
Joined: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 04:00:00
Location: Between Canada and Carribean

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 09:10:52

Newfie wrote:Marine jnsurance is now taking a closer look at Lithium batteries, LiFe in particular IIRC.

May require "professional" installation along with a complete Battery Management System.

Seems reasonable considering the magnitude of the potential loss.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13775
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 03:00:00

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 09:22:42

PeakOilFanatic wrote:Ford F-150 "Lightning" is destroying the few remaining independent Ford Stealerships left because they have HUGE markups on the Mustang Mach E.

So Ford has decided to get rid of the stealerships altogether and sell the E-junk online so that "Ford" gets the money. But the truth is Ford does even exist anymore. Its basically owned by Blackrock and Vanguard. All in anticipation that the loyal F-150 debt bomb holders will end up losing their home.


Your rant peeked my curiosity so I researched stock Ford which I currently don't own. The price is down along with the rest of the market so it now has a P/E ratio of less then 4!!! It is paying a 3.5% dividend at Fridays price. They have orders for 18 months worth of F150 lightnings. Customers are paying above MSRP for the E Mustangs. What's not to like.
It is beginning to look like if you come out against a company a prudent investor should buy it. A counter indicator if you will.
Edit to add: Blackrock and Vanguard between them own 7.3 billion worth of Ford stock out of a market Cap. of 45.13 Billion so hardly a controlling interest. A lot of institutional and index fund ownership as well.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13775
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 03:00:00

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby PeakOilFanatic » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 09:44:18

vtsnowedin wrote:
PeakOilFanatic wrote:Ford F-150 "Lightning" is destroying the few remaining independent Ford Stealerships left because they have HUGE markups on the Mustang Mach E.

So Ford has decided to get rid of the stealerships altogether and sell the E-junk online so that "Ford" gets the money. But the truth is Ford does even exist anymore. Its basically owned by Blackrock and Vanguard. All in anticipation that the loyal F-150 debt bomb holders will end up losing their home.


Your rant peeked my curiosity so I researched stock Ford which I currently don't own. The price is down along with the rest of the market so it now has a P/E ratio of less then 4!!! It is paying a 3.5% dividend at Fridays price. They have orders for 18 months worth of F150 lightnings. Customers are paying above MSRP for the E Mustangs. What's not to like.
It is beginning to look like if you come out against a company a prudent investor should buy it. A counter indicator if you will.
Edit to add: Blackrock and Vanguard between them own 7.3 billion worth of Ford stock out of a market Cap. of 45.13 Billion so hardly a controlling interest. A lot of institutional and index fund ownership as well.


I guess you don't know that Ford still owns massive shares in this LOSER TURD called Rivian, a EV truck from Commifornia. Rivian is a TOTAL JOKE. I guess you will be buying that too. Then you buy a Rivian "Truck" right now....and then when it quits working 2 months later end up stranded on the road

Image
PeakOilFanatic
permanently banned
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon 13 Jun 2022, 13:48:17

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby C8 » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 11:08:51

Tesla has the advantage of selling a product propped up by massive govt. subsidy. as the dominant portion of their output. EV's are only a fraction of the big three's line-up. Tesla also sells to a niche market of upper income greens. It will be interesting to see if they can compete for the average buyer and deliver volume. I think a lot of their valuation may be based on the belief of a successful transition to the mass market. But the big three surely know some tricks in that game.

Or maybe Musk thinks EV's will never scale up and that he will gain dominance by watching the big three collapse and the masses going to public transit- with him keeping his loyal upscale base.

It should be interesting to watch.
User avatar
C8
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013, 09:02:48

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby PeakOilFanatic » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 11:36:19

C8 wrote:Tesla has the advantage of selling a product propped up by massive govt. subsidy. as the dominant portion of their output. EV's are only a fraction of the big three's line-up. Tesla also sells to a niche market of upper income greens. It will be interesting to see if they can compete for the average buyer and deliver volume. I think a lot of their valuation may be based on the belief of a successful transition to the mass market. But the big three surely know some tricks in that game.

Or maybe Musk thinks EV's will never scale up and that he will gain dominance by watching the big three collapse and the masses going to public transit- with him keeping his loyal upscale base.

It should be interesting to watch.


Musk is a front man. I don't think the dude has ever made a decision on anything.

FRONT MAN | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary Meaning of front man in English front man noun [ C ] uk us someone who represents an organization or group in public, but who may not really be in charge of it:
PeakOilFanatic
permanently banned
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon 13 Jun 2022, 13:48:17

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 12:56:45

PeakOilFanatic wrote:
I guess you don't know that Ford still owns massive shares in this LOSER TURD called Rivian, a EV truck from Commifornia. Rivian is a TOTAL JOKE. I guess you will be buying that too. Then you buy a Rivian "Truck" right now....and then when it quits working 2 months later end up stranded on the road


I am aware of Fords investment in Rivian. They have sold some of it off at a loss recently but still own about 10 % of it or about 2.6 billion dollars worth. T Row Price and Amazon still hold 18% shares in it. I'd consider that 10% as an R&D investment where Ford will be able to incorporate any innovations Rivian comes up with into their own EVs without paying patent royalties.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13775
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 03:00:00

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby theluckycountry » Mon 20 Jun 2022, 22:36:39

From a forum

1 yr. ago
"I have a 2015 p90d and love driving it!! Also still getting free super charging for life going 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. Driving this amazing car inspired me to get into Tesla stock early and it’s turned into enough for a new roadster when it finally comes out!"

Well the poster is sort of lucky! TSLA is up $40 from when they posted. Not sure that'll cover the price hikes though.

June 15, 2022
Tesla has once again raised the prices on all of its vehicles in both Canada and the United States on Wednesday night, pushing prices to new all-time highs.
https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tesla- ... -us-again/

Image

I think TSLA shares track bitcoin
theluckycountry
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue 20 Jul 2021, 18:08:48
Location: Australia

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby PeakOilFanatic » Tue 21 Jun 2022, 07:25:17

vtsnowedin wrote:
PeakOilFanatic wrote:
I guess you don't know that Ford still owns massive shares in this LOSER TURD called Rivian, a EV truck from Commifornia. Rivian is a TOTAL JOKE. I guess you will be buying that too. Then you buy a Rivian "Truck" right now....and then when it quits working 2 months later end up stranded on the road


I am aware of Fords investment in Rivian. They have sold some of it off at a loss recently but still own about 10 % of it or about 2.6 billion dollars worth. T Row Price and Amazon still hold 18% shares in it. I'd consider that 10% as an R&D investment where Ford will be able to incorporate any innovations Rivian comes up with into their own EVs without paying patent royalties.


Only a fool would bother investing in ANY car manufacturers now. Post 2020, they are all unreliable junk even toyota. They are run by predatory banks. They do not care about happy customers. Remember, you are just a number now , the number 0.

Proof: Tesla ranked LAST in reliability

Consumer Reports Still Ranks Tesla Reliability 27th Out Of 28

https://insideevs.com/news/549130/consu ... poor-2021/

As Some 2021 Ford Bronco V-6 Engines Fail, NHTSA Gets Involved

The 2.7-liter engine is the upgrade choice in the Bronco, but a string of failures is vexing some owners.
Justin BannerWriterManufacturerPhotographerMotortrend StaffPhotographerJun 6, 2022

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-fo ... -troubles/
PeakOilFanatic
permanently banned
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon 13 Jun 2022, 13:48:17

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 21 Jun 2022, 13:27:06

Oh sure a market for seventeen million units a year at an average of over $50K a piece with a dozen or so competitor companies. That's just going to dry up and blow away. Who needs um.
User avatar
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion
 
Posts: 13775
Joined: Fri 11 Jul 2008, 03:00:00

Re: THE Tesla Thread Pt. 3 (merged)

Unread postby Doly » Wed 22 Jun 2022, 16:06:15

Musk is a front man.


For who or what?
User avatar
Doly
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 4220
Joined: Fri 03 Dec 2004, 04:00:00

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests