Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Yellen Says Fed Can Bring Down Inflation Without Recession

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Yellen Says Fed Can Bring Down Inflation Without Recession

Unread postby BrianC » Thu 12 May 2022, 16:24:09

Yellen Says Fed Can Bring Down Inflation Without Causing Recession (yahoo.com) 72
Posted by msmash on Thursday May 12, 2022 @11:06AM from the how-about-that dept.
U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said that she believes the Federal Reserve can bring down inflation without causing a recession because of a strong U.S. job market and household balance sheets, low debt costs and a strong banking sector. From a report:
Yellen told a U.S. House of Representatives Financial Services Committee hearing on Thursday that "all of those things suggest that the Fed has a path to bring down inflation without causing a recession, and I know it will be their objective to try to accomplish that."
https://news.slashdot.org/story/22/05/1 ... -recession
BrianC
Peat
Peat

Re: Yellen Says Fed Can Bring Down Inflation Without Recessi

Unread postby MonteQuest » Tue 17 May 2022, 08:48:12

Inflation is a global issue and the US can no more solve it than they can solve global climate change. World central banks printed $27.6 trillion in counterfeit money and injected it into the world economy to keep the house of cards from collapsing. Who is going to buy this debt from the banks to rein in inflation?? Former Fed chair, Ben Bernanke, sees ‘stagflation’ ahead.
A Saudi saying, "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
MonteQuest
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Tue 17 May 2022, 15:20:58

MonteQuest wrote:Inflation is a global issue and the US can no more solve it than they can solve global climate change. World central banks printed $27.6 trillion in counterfeit money and injected it into the world economy to keep the house of cards from collapsing. Who is going to buy this debt from the banks to rein in inflation?? Former Fed chair, Ben Bernanke, sees ‘stagflation’ ahead.

Sounds similar to what happened with global peak oil in 1979.
Plant Thu 27 Jul 2023 "Personally I think the IEA is exactly right when they predict peak oil in the 2020s, especially because it matches my own predictions."

Plant Wed 11 Apr 2007 "I think Deffeyes might have nailed it, and we are just past the overall peak in oil production. (Thanksgiving 2005)"
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby careinke » Wed 18 May 2022, 13:58:21

MonteQuest wrote:Inflation is a global issue and the US can no more solve it than they can solve global climate change. World central banks printed $27.6 trillion in counterfeit money and injected it into the world economy to keep the house of cards from collapsing. Who is going to buy this debt from the banks to rein in inflation?? Former Fed chair, Ben Bernanke, sees ‘stagflation’ ahead.

Welcome back! Missed you, how is life?

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 19 May 2022, 16:07:21

MonteQuest wrote:Inflation is a global issue and the US can no more solve it …...

Of course the US can solve inflation. The US previously knocked down much worse inflation then we have now by raising interest rates enough to cause a recession.

In fact, the FED is raising interest rates right now for exactly the same reason. If the FED doesn’t lose its nerve, look for higher interest rates and a recession to happen in the immediate future, followed by lower inflation.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 21 May 2022, 14:18:04

AdamB wrote:

Sounds similar to what happened with global peak oil in 1979.

You're baiting him?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Doly » Sat 21 May 2022, 16:45:16

Of course the US can solve inflation. The US previously knocked down much worse inflation then we have now by raising interest rates enough to cause a recession.

I don't think the recession was caused by raising interest rates. The recession would have happened anyway, but the options were recession with or without hyperinflation, so the choice was without.

Monte, glad to see you here again. I remember my first post here was in response to one of your posts, and asking about your opinion. I used to think you went overboard on some issues (and got chucked out as a moderator at one point for being opinionated). But that was before... well, before whatever the hell has happened to the Internet. And the world at large. Including this forum. Nice to see a familiar person.
Doly
Expert
Expert

Unread postby careinke » Sun 22 May 2022, 01:40:03

Plantagenet wrote:
MonteQuest wrote:Inflation is a global issue and the US can no more solve it …...

In fact, the FED is raising interest rates right now for exactly the same reason. If the FED doesn’t lose its nerve, look for higher interest rates and a recession to happen in the immediate future, followed by lower inflation.

Cheers!

What about DEFLATION? I would love deflation. It seems the natural order of things, or should be.

Peace
Cliff (Start a rEVOLution, grow a garden)
careinke
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 22 May 2022, 06:40:06

The Fed target is steady year over year ca. 2-2.5% inflation….which we had for the last two decades or so.

Unfortunately, everything changed once BIden became President. Now we’ve got 8+% inflation, a war in Europe, more waves of Covid Pandemic coming but without masking or shut down mandates from the government so the death toll has now gone over 1,000,000 with no end in sight, food shortages, supply chain blockages, the highest gas prices ever, stock market collapse, crypto sell-off, and a recession likely coming very soon. And the President is a senile old fool who always seems to make the wrong decision.

Wow! These are very interesting times.

Good luck to you.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 22 May 2022, 10:24:34

careinke wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:

Cheers!

What about DEFLATION? I would love deflation. It seems the natural order of things, or should be.

Peace

Indeed the big dirty secret is before 1913 when the Creature from Jekyll Island was created the USA had a remarkably stable currency. Every inflationary period was matched with an equal value deflationary cycle. However since the creature was created and set loose we have had nearly constant inflation with no matching deflation and the value of the dollar has been eroding in fits and starts with some steady grinding periods and some brutal high periods for 110 years now.

It is a real shame only historians learn these facts, you would think it should be front and center of every economics class everywhere and for always.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 23 May 2022, 18:54:10

careinke wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:

Cheers!

Peace

The Fed hates deflation. They think deflation causes economic instability, is inconsistent with decent economic growth, etc.

As a saver, I think modest deflation would be great IF it were consistent with decent economic growth, but TPTB aren't on board with that. Since I'm not an economist, and don't pretend to be, unlike the various usual suspects around here, I presume they know far more about it than various random internet discussions, given the Fed is made up of top tier professional economists.

This is apparently also why a gold standard supposedly won't work -- it will cause ongoing deflation according to economists.

I'm not making any of this up -- google it. I did to double check my memory and got lots of credible looking hits.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 05 Jun 2022, 19:35:42

Progressive D in New York says inflation is a good thing because it will force Americans to change their diets and eat less meat and more fake meat and insects and things like that.....

new-york-times-op-ed-applauds-inflation-means-enforce-green-diet

I don't care how much inflation Biden and the Ds throw at us......I ain't switching to eating insects. NO WAY!

If Biden and the Ds want people to eat less meat and more insects, then I wish Biden would ask the White House chef to serve him less meat and more insects. It would only be fair since he is responsible for triggering off the inflation in food prices that is hurting average Americans.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby C8 » Sun 05 Jun 2022, 20:54:05

US citizens savings rate is now down to something like 4%- where it was in 2008 before the crash. People are not cutting back much on their lifestyle- restaurant sales are still booming. But people are dipping into their savings to keep their lifestyle going (and borrowing massively). This can't go on.

I do not understand borrowing money to eat at a restaurant. I was raised by a depression era survivor and we grew up poor. I save a lot and rarely treat myself.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 05 Jun 2022, 21:22:20

C8 wrote:US citizens savings rate is now down to something like 4%- where it was in 2008 before the crash. People are not cutting back much on their lifestyle- restaurant sales are still booming. But people are dipping into their savings to keep their lifestyle going (and borrowing massively). This can't go on.

I do not understand borrowing money to eat at a restaurant. I was raised by a depression era survivor and we grew up poor. I save a lot and rarely treat myself.

I agree 100%.

And when most people use up all their savings they still keep spending.....they just put the spending on their credit cards.

As a result, US credit card is now just about at an all time high.....

consumer-credit-card-debt-near-an-all-time-high

The Biden people keep saying how great the economy is....and maybe it is great for them and their rich friends.....

But average people are really being hurt by the high fuel costs, high food costs, high interest rates, high housing costs, and and high everything else costs.

Janet Yellen just broke with the party line in the White House and personally blamed Biden for the High inflation we are seeing.

AND Elon Musk just said he had a really bad feeling about the economy going forward.....

I'm getting the same bad feeling....

I predict we're going to see a Biden recession before too much longer.

CHEERS!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Mon 06 Jun 2022, 04:31:35

C8 wrote:US citizens savings rate is now down to something like 4%- where it was in 2008 before the crash. People are not cutting back much on their lifestyle- restaurant sales are still booming. But people are dipping into their savings to keep their lifestyle going (and borrowing massively). This can't go on.

I spent $400+ in a restaurant yesterday, something I very rarely do. It did come from my savings, though. I have never borrowed money to pay a restaurant bill, and never will. I do not have any debts of any kind, not even a dollar; my grandpa taught me better. We invited a couple we are friends with to celebrate the wife's birthday. We went to a Brazilian style, all you can eat, "Espeto Corrido" BBQ place. The bill included a bottle of French Champagne. The place was absolutely packed!

Most people in the USA buy almost everything on credit, cars, houses, boats, TVs, vacations, etc.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Return to Economics & Finance