Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Degrowth Thread Pt. 2

How to save energy through both societal and individual actions.

Re: Degrowth Thread Pt. 2

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 13 May 2022, 19:35:29

Newfie wrote: And, as a Hail Mary we have our 168 acres on Cape Breton. Far from prime land, but it would heat us. And in the meantime it is a carbon trap.

Wow. Just so happens I've got a trip scheduled to the vicinity of Cape Breton Highlands in late September, any tips on interesting places to stay, places to eat? I'm just there for the natural beauty of the place, but I'll have others along interested in the more mundane chores of travel.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020

Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 13 May 2022, 19:51:55

vtsnowedin wrote:I used to drive 45,000 miles a year making my living. I don't miss that one bit. As I live five miles from the nearest paved road I have seen my fill of back roads. Especially during this springs Mud season.

I've heard about mud season in Vermont. I've driven 20 mile long lease roads with dozers spaced regularly for the less prepared oilfield folk, heavy equipment on dirt roads at the wrong time makes its own mud season after any rain.

Retirement for me is going to be an RV towing a motorcycle or Jeep, carrying the dog, picking up the wife at the local airport, seeing some of the places she wants to see, then putting her back on the plane and then me wandering back on my own. With the dog. And in a month or two (the normal frequency where I start getting jumpy) do it all over again. Until my health forces a stop anyway.

Vtsnowedin wrote:Recently I have spent a lot of time monitoring the war in Ukraine along with my usual participation here on Peak oil. That counts as a hobby I guess.

I'm hitting every local twisty (or so claimed) sportbike road in North America. Or Jeeping every back road. Haven't decided yet. Can always read the news at a campground on WiFi. As far from the cesspools that are American cities as possible.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020

Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 13 May 2022, 20:23:09

I used to work for New Hampshire DOT and spent a lot of time monitoring paving crews resurfacing roads. We would get a lot of Motorcycle traffic mid summer for the Loudan classic races, but then come late September, leaf peeper season, have a lot come back again to ride on the miles of secondary roads we had smoothed up that summer. 350 to 800 miles statewide a year depending on the budget. You could literally ride from Canada to the sea and be on new pavement at least 60% of the distance. Plenty of camp grounds along the way along with all the other types of accommodations. B&B's etc. It was not unusual to have a group of fifty plus bikes come through our late construction work packages with many giving us a thumbs up for the smooth ride.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 14 May 2022, 08:12:36

AdamB wrote:
Newfie wrote: And, as a Hail Mary we have our 168 acres on Cape Breton. Far from prime land, but it would heat us. And in the meantime it is a carbon trap.

Wow. Just so happens I've got a trip scheduled to the vicinity of Cape Breton Highlands in late September, any tips on interesting places to stay, places to eat? I'm just there for the natural beauty of the place, but I'll have others along interested in the more mundane chores of travel.

The highlands are a nice ride. Going clockwise is one switchback very roughly 85% of the way around that is marked 20kph, with good reason.

Cape Breton is a whole lot of not much, which is good. Near Sydney there is a miners museum and a retired miner w take you down a demonstration tunnel. That is interesting.

In North Sydney is a fossil museum worth a few hours.

Baddeck is a nice small picturesque tourist town. A couple of resturants ice cream joint.

Do take the Little Narrows cable ferry to Iona to see the open air museum which traces how housing developed on the island starting with a replica “Black House.” There is a decent motel just there. Make reservations.

Camping: Some friends sold their boat and bought a small camper. They stick to state camp grounds. Their story is states open reservations 11 to 13 months in advance and are sold out almost instantly. No personal experience.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 16 May 2022, 09:34:36

Japan is continuing along the degrowth path, pulling manufacturing and services back home.

https://gcaptain.com/shipping-chaos-jap ... alization/
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Conservation & Efficiency