Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

LITHIUM IS THE NEW OIL

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: LITHIUM IS THE NEW OIL

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 23 Nov 2021, 17:48:34

rangerone314 wrote:In the US at least, better zoning or less would help.

It'd be nice to be able to drive to a grocery store or clothing store in a golf cart, but for a lot of people that wouldn't work because... zoning.

Have areas with residential areas mixed in with farmer's markets and other merchants. Make things more walkable and bike-able (?), and use small vehicles like EV golf cars on smaller roads (using less asphalt).

Yup......and some suburbs and retirement communities in the USA are set up just as you suggest...with bike paths and lots of people getting around in golf carts.

Even better is the way they do it in Europe.

Don't use a golf cart.....just walk to the market.

Bring the farmer's markets right into the city so everything is walkable.

When I lived in Europe for a year there was a huge regional farmer's market every saturday that filled up the whole downtown of my university town with local cheese, meats, vegetables. And there were jugglers and buskers performing. It was a party every weekend.

In fact, in Europe they try to use vehicles as little as possible. If you want to go somewhere in the city, take a bus or a tram.

And if you want to travel cross-country take the train.

And it can all be made electric, if the lithium supply is large enough.

Electric trains and trams, EV buses, and foot power.

People can have a very nice life style without using fossil fuels.....if they've got the energy supplies and enough lithium batteries.

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby theluckycountry » Tue 23 Nov 2021, 19:41:13

rangerone314 wrote:In the US at least, better zoning or less would help.

It'd be nice to be able to drive to a grocery store or clothing store in a golf cart, but for a lot of people that wouldn't work because... zoning.

It's called the psychology of previous investment. Huge companies that for half a century or more have been building roads, and greasing the palms of local politicians are in lockstep with city planners and engineers who want to keep doing it the way they always have. Old people in charge, old people who are stubborn and unwilling to change.

It's what made GM and Ford so unprofitable, they made big gas guzzling autos for 50 years or so, then along came the Japanese and said "Look, these smaller cars make more sense" But the old stuffed shirts at the big 3 couldn't change, wouldn't change, they just wanted to see things out and get their pensions. When they finally started making cars like the Japanese they were garbage, just smaller gutless versions of what they had been making for ever.

These big systems can never adapt, they just have to Die. One day the grid will die too but there won't be any micro grids to replace it. It will be too late then, the power base will have gone but at least the executives running the power companies will have gotten away with healthy pensions. A lot of people don't believe that of course, they talk and talk about transitions and new technology but I have been hearing that for 50 years and it's led to Nothing! Every year we deploy more solar globally and every year we consume more electricity than what was installed. It's a joke.
theluckycountry
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pops » Thu 25 Nov 2021, 11:27:48

rangerone314 wrote:IIt'd be nice to be able to drive to a grocery store or clothing store in a golf cart, but for a lot of people that wouldn't work because... zoning.

Have areas with residential areas mixed in with farmer's markets and other merchants. Make things more walkable and bike-able (?), and use small vehicles like EV golf cars on smaller roads (using less asphalt).

Low speed vehicles are OK with the Feds and several states allow them specifically, most allow them on roads with 35MPH speed limits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-speed_vehicle
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Thu 25 Nov 2021, 17:50:30

theluckycountry wrote:
It's what made GM and Ford so unprofitable, they made big gas guzzling autos for 50 years or so, then along came the Japanese and said "Look, these smaller cars make more sense" But the old stuffed shirts at the big 3 couldn't change, wouldn't change, they just wanted to see things out and get their pensions. When they finally started making cars like the Japanese they were garbage, just smaller gutless versions of what they had been making for ever.

I think it was more of an example of "nothing fails like success". The US pioneered mass production of automobiles and led in innovation for a long period of time. During WW2 the industry shifted to producing the large number of military vehicles required to win the war. The war devastated automobile production in Europe and Japan further cementing the US as the dominant automobile manufacture in the world. Unfortunately, such success led to complacency and the previous focus on improving build quality and reducing costs was lost. A captive market enabled the manufacturers to make good profits and the autoworker unions made sure they got their cut too! Starting from nothing the Japanese adopted a policy of continuous improvement which eventually enabled them to produce cars of higher quality at lower cost. There was no way the US manufacturers could catchup overnight because too many people in their organizations were resistant to changes that would negatively impact their jobs. The transition has greatly reduced the number of autoworker jobs and reduced salaries and benefits. Even today, labour costs make it pretty much impossible for a US manufacturer to profitably build good quality small cars.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby theluckycountry » Sat 27 Nov 2021, 13:54:35

It's 3:41 am Sunday morning here in my small rural town and in about an hour I'll be off on my Low Speed pushbike to get some exercise. It's the one day and time of week I feel safe on the 100km/h major back roads around here. During the week I'll ride too but just in a staggered pattern around the town, avoiding the main roads, which are the best because they have few hills.

For me it's just exercise, but if I had to do it as a necessity, to shop or get to work, I'd be putting my life in danger every day. Our word is built for the motor car and truck and when those go the roads, which could have lasted 100 years, will be tattered wrecks. I'm grateful I'm old, in my 60's now, and wont have to live through the worst of the collapse. Lithium is fine if you can afford it now but it will be be long gone before the oil I believe.
theluckycountry
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 27 Nov 2021, 23:25:34

theluckycountry wrote:For me it's just exercise, but if I had to do it as a necessity, to shop or get to work, I'd be putting my life in danger every day.

Isn't that why you have the snazzy motorcycle? No point in getting killed pedaling when you can outrun most anything on the tarmac with that nice, "every doomer needs one" BMW.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020

Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 28 Nov 2021, 04:41:40

LITHIUM IS THE NEW OIL

Tough luck.
Largest deposit on Earth are in Afghanistan and they will go to new Afghan ally - China.

Americans need to learn one thing - to have a stable empire you need to export prosperity rather than value system and build relations base on trade rather than military threats.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Previous

Return to Energy Technology