Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 08 Nov 2021, 11:09:40

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Yes just my opinion but one formed from years of working for and with government.

Well, if you have lots of objective evidence with credible sources, why not share it to make your point?

It strikes me that an argument of "it won't work as claimed or cost what is claimed because the government is involved" approaches truism, as opposed to argument. I also agree that, ultimately, and as it is with most things, it will all boil down to economics.

Think...Model T's trying to drive across the country? Sort of difficult at first, then with expanding infrastructure (with BAZILLIONS of $$ of inefficient and expensive government "help"), less so.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020

Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Mon 08 Nov 2021, 12:35:24

I'll give you that the two best deals the taxpayers have received from the Federal government are the REA(Rural electrification administration) and the original Interstate highway system. Both were paid for by user fees.
But today the politics and bureaucracy have gotten to the point that the waste factor is enormous.
The states and their citizens would have been much better off if they had raised their own taxes and administrated those projects they prioritized without the dubious 'aid' of the Federal government.
Tesla and others are already building out charger points with more then 40,000 of them already in place. Why have the government step in and muck things up?
I read a piece yesterday from a supplier that said installations of chargers were costing an average of $190K each for fast chargers that can charge a car in as few as ten minutes. That seems like a lot but going with it and assuming a fifty percent of daily hours and thirty minutes between cars you get 8760 charges per charger per year so if you charged $5.00 per charge above the cost of the electricity you would have the charger paid for in under five years. At New England's present price of electricity of $0.20/KWH a 70 KW charge in a Tesla would cost $14.00 plus the $5.00 and perhaps another $1.00 for the facility operator profit. $20/ 70kwh= net cost of 28.6 cents per KWH and at 3.7 miles per KWH gives a per mile cost of 7.7 cents.
Compared to an ICE car getting 35mpg on $3.40 gas or 9.7 cents per mile.
Now if you are the least bit cynical about our President he raised the price of gas on purpose to make the EVs competitive but that would assume he has the cognative ability to be that devious. :badgrin:
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby AdamB » Mon 08 Nov 2021, 13:20:45

vtsnowedin wrote:
Tesla and others are already building out charger points with more then 40,000 of them already in place. Why have the government step in and muck things up?

Indeed. Because the government has decided to "help" to further their political interests (notice I didn't say the interests of their constituents).Claimed, in this case, to be climate change concerns. It isn't as though telling citizens to consume less of everything allows the government to thief more dollars from them. right? But BUY BUY BUY and we'll HELP you keeps all the corporate sponsors involved and happy.

vtsnowedin wrote: Now if you are the least bit cynical about our President he raised the price of gas on purpose to make the EVs competitive but that would assume he has the cognative ability to be that devious. :badgrin:

I doubt that our permanent political class can do 2nd order thinking like this. They just randomly pinball between random talking points, signing expensive meaningless stuff and inflicting random harm in pursuit of "improving" anything.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020

Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Energy Technology