Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 14:46:28

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Subjectivist wrote:Gas in Toledo is now around $2.659 at the cheaper stations around town. That means prices have gone up about $0.50/gallon since New Years Day 2021. How are things in your end of the world?

Over time, it seems like the gas prices here in Lexington, KY, track the gas prices in Toledo fairly closely (say, within 20 cents or so). Overall, I'd say about as closely as deltas I notice within a 50 mile radius of Lexington in small towns, just noticing signs at random times of the year. I find the economics of the market interesting. Of course, I probably just notice it more given the giant signs out on pretty much all gas stations.

I used to travel monthly down the length of I-75 in Ohio from Toledo at the north end to Cincinnati at the south end. An interesting pattern checking freeway gas stations on both sides north and south bound is that fuel prices in Toledo south to Findlay and Dayton south to Cincinnati were very closely aligned but in the middle third prices would steadily decrease, then climb back up from the half-way point through the state. Once I figured out this economic reality I made sure to fill up half way down and then fill up again half way back up. The truck stops in those middle area were also always the busiest along the route so clearly the hi-lo-hi nature of Ohio prices was well known to over the road travelers in the semi truck driving industry as well.
Alfred Tennyson wrote:We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 16:36:38

Tanada wrote:I used to travel monthly down the length of I-75 in Ohio from Toledo at the north end to Cincinnati at the south end. An interesting pattern checking freeway gas stations on both sides north and south bound is that fuel prices in Toledo south to Findlay and Dayton south to Cincinnati were very closely aligned but in the middle third prices would steadily decrease, then climb back up from the half-way point through the state. Once I figured out this economic reality I made sure to fill up half way down and then fill up again half way back up. The truck stops in those middle area were also always the busiest along the route so clearly the hi-lo-hi nature of Ohio prices was well known to over the road travelers in the semi truck driving industry as well.

Interesting. Having retired mainly by being frugal vs. earning a huge salary (a habit imbued by my parents), part of the reason I paid attention was to see if there was a discernable pattern to suggest buying gas at X when I traveled. Though prices were often different by up to a quarter a gallon or so, I never noticed enough of a trend in my area to try and exploit it. One time in Richmond, KY, it would be 20 cents more, and later it would be 20 cents less, for example.

Clearly the market works, but again, I find the variation in HOW it works rather interesting. (And yes, I am very much a nerd).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 16:48:19

Subjectivist wrote:Toledo is about half and half, you can still find $2.299/gal in some outlets but as of this morning many have switched over to the $2.429-$2.459/gal range which is a heck of an overnight jump. Did someone blow up a tanker and I just missed it on the news?

In my world, 20 or 30 cent jumps (or drops) happen OFTEN. Of course, looking at it, generally there's been a several dollar WTI move in that direction in the days/weeks before that happened, overall.

It doesn't take anything spectacular, just moderate price movement in a relatively short amount of time. Re the past couple decades, nothing new to see here.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby OutcastPhilosopher » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 18:08:41

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
OutcastPhilosopher wrote:
Tanada wrote:
OutcastPhilosopher wrote:Gas prices are now up a full dollar in my area.....up to 2.79

In late 2020....they were hovering between 1.69-1.80

Interesting, care to share what region you live it? It would give the numbers a bit of context.

South of you.....if your location is correct.

So in your tiny mind, anywhere south of latitude X is the same, re gasoline prices? No difference between a big city and out in the middle of nowhere? No difference between states?

Are you so paranoid that you think if you say, for example, Rural NM, vs. Southern CA big city that it lets the mean ninjas with the black helicopters, directed by "them", come track you down?

Mostly devoid of meaningful content and paranoid (re your conspiracy theories). At least you're consistent, so there's one attaboy for you. :roll:

I didn't mention anywhere in particular except generally south of the previous poster.

I am not willing to give out specifics on a board with individuals such as yourself who clearly cannot handle any dissenting opinions.
The hand that gives is above the hand that takes
OutcastPhilosopher
permanently banned

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 02 Mar 2021, 14:21:36

OutcastPhilosopher wrote:I didn't mention anywhere in particular except generally south of the previous poster.

I am not willing to give out specifics on a board with individuals such as yourself who clearly cannot handle any dissenting opinions.

Yeah, I get it. Your paranoia is further proof of how delusional you are. Bray on. And pretend the NSA, IRS, police, etc. can't find you if you just don't give your location on this board. :lol:

And of course, you're the ultimate agreeable chap who handles dissenting opinions perfectly well, every single time. Fancy that. :roll:

You know, in the real world, thinking adults can disagree about all kinds of things and discuss them without even remotely thinking of going postal or even getting angry. Not that I'd expect someone as clearly immature as you to actually grasp that fact.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Wed 06 Oct 2021, 20:55:55

NW Ohio is now firmly over $3/gal despite the "summer driving season" being well past us now.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 07 Oct 2021, 10:26:32

Americans are paying the most for gas in seven years
The national average for a gallon of gas is at the highest since 2014.

In some places Americans are paying more than $5 per gallon of gas.

Gas prices are more than $1 higher than this time last year amid a jump in oil prices.

CNBC
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 07 Oct 2021, 11:28:10

Tanada wrote:NW Ohio is now firmly over $3/gal despite the "summer driving season" being well past us now.

So is central KY, last time I checked, at $3.16. But that was Tuesday, with WTI right about $79 (the recent high), but clearly, at that point, WTI had been rising as a trend (up about 8 bucks in a couple weeks).

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/crude-oil

And when it was $75ish 3 months or so back, gas we hovering at $3.

My reading of the news says that much of the recent price rise is due to:

1). OPEC not raising its production quotas (meaningfully, anyway), and letting oil prices continue to rise.
2). Recent drops in storage of crude oil.

So the recent price rise seems rather rational to me. The market isn't assuming a net overall crude oil demand drop until they see it, IMO. Things like how Covid-19 will be over the winter are VERY much in flux, so things like jet fuel demand are highly uncertain.

Now, as we get into cold weather, hopefully that turns around meaningfully, as it often does, as driving demand drops. (Not making any bets on Covid. It's amazing ly random re case changes over time, IMO).
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 07 Oct 2021, 11:35:26

Tanada wrote:
Americans are paying the most for gas in seven years
The national average for a gallon of gas is at the highest since 2014.

In some places Americans are paying more than $5 per gallon of gas.

Gas prices are more than $1 higher than this time last year amid a jump in oil prices.

CNBC

The easiest way to hedge for this, over time, is to own some oil stock that tracks the price of crude reasonably well. They're volatile, of course, but some pay nice dividends.

Chevron (CVX) is paying a dividend a little over 5% currently, which these days is very decent for a company with some growth potential.

What I like to do is sell puts on CVX when the stock market goes in the ditch or when oil prices drop a lot. As I recall, near the market low in March 2020, I sold a couple month put on CVX at a 50 strike for nearly $500. Hard to lose on that over the long run, as long as you're willing to hold CVX through low oil prices, IMO.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tuike » Fri 08 Oct 2021, 05:13:15

Gasoline prices are rising where I live: 1.80 EUR/l. In more sparsely populated areas: 2.00 EUR/l. Gasoline prices have never before been two euros per liter.
Tuike
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Pops » Fri 08 Oct 2021, 12:21:47

26mm bbls/month

On the one hand exposing US drivers to world prices is best for communicating the "price signal" that declining supply will send, OTOH, fuel is the most strategic of all commodities and blasting through it ASAP really isn't all that wise it seems to me.

Of course TPTB would need to acknowledge that supply will eventually decline before they come to that conclusion.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 08 Oct 2021, 18:27:33

Pops wrote:26mm bbls/month

On the one hand exposing US drivers to world prices is best for communicating the "price signal" that declining supply will send, OTOH, fuel is the most strategic of all commodities and blasting through it ASAP really isn't all that wise it seems to me.

Of course TPTB would need to acknowledge that supply will eventually decline before they come to that conclusion.

In the last forty years the US refiners have made quite a business of importing crude from countries that lacked refining capacity and doing the job for them prior to it being exported to the world market. No problem there but that chart does not differentiate between imported crude or domestic as a source for that exported finished product. I suspect that the fraction of exported finished product of all types is small compared to the total and with Biden's restrictions on oil production here it will soon be less then it was under Trump if it is not already.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 15 Oct 2021, 21:28:24

Regular 87 octane gasoline hit $3.299 a gallon in Toledo today, highest price since 2015.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion