Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Re: THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Unread postby Pops » Sun 03 Oct 2021, 10:21:04

I was born in '57 when CA had 15M, now 40M so almost triple. The nearest bigger town was Modesto, a little burg in the San Joaquin with big canneries (Tri-Valley was eventually one of the largest in the world) and the Gallo winery which I think is still the largest.

Back then it was Mayberry, probably <20k. It's little LA now, probably a quarter million honking assholes who know for a fact that where they are going is waaay more important than where you're headed.

Where I'm at now in MO peaked out at 5K in 2010, the same year walmart came to town, Half the businesses closed since then and the population fell 10%.

I'll take the dying town tho, walmart or not...
make that the town collapsing early... degrowth baby!
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 03 Oct 2021, 13:16:02

Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

We spend a lkt of time in degrowth areas. Seems we tend to prefer them.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 03 Oct 2021, 14:26:20

Pops wrote:Where I'm at now in MO peaked out at 5K in 2010, the same year walmart came to town, Half the businesses closed since then and the population fell 10%.

I'll take the dying town tho, walmart or not...
make that the town collapsing early... degrowth baby!

As long as you can get basic services like plumbers, etc. to come out reliably, it doesn't matter all that much whether you have a local Walmart et al anymore or not.

Even if those sorts of services are relatively expensive, you probably save so much on housing, taxes, etc. in a nice small town that you're MUCH MUCH better off than those who hang out in NYC, SF, LA, etc, and scream about crowds, crime, transport times, and the cost of living -- especially housing. Plus, you have a cleaner environment, a far more relaxed environment, etc. And you can pick whatever sort of weather suits you.

Given the trade-offs, unless showing up at work is required and one has a very high paying job to make it worth living there, living in the largest most expensive cities is basically insane, given the many alternatives.

Hell, thanks to technology, I do almost all my shopping, safely online, except picking up groceries where I want to pick out my fresh produce and other fresh foods (which I like to pick out myself).

The biggest downside to the rural areas in my experience, is the predominant political attitudes, re folks who think Fox News represents the real world.

But hey, trade-offs. Until the era of Covid-19, the education level of people didn't impact me that much, re city vs. country living. The gun toting types in small towns were hunting, not robbing people, generally. The people tended to be church going and nice types, despite believing that Fox News generally represents the way the world works. (And as a moderate, I can't stand listening to too much MSNBC either, especially when they get onto the idea that ENDLESS wealth redistribution should be the focus of the world).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 04 Oct 2021, 11:36:03

You might be a red neck if you live with red necks. :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Mon 04 Oct 2021, 17:35:06

Newfie wrote:You might be a red neck if you live with red necks. :-D

So a moderately large (easily top 100 in US) city, mostly left leaning is "rednecks"? (Note that I managed to spell it correctly).

When you can demonstrate with credible citations that you're not at all biased, be sure and get back to me. Meanwhile, facts do exist, even when filtered by credible sources on the internet.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 04 Oct 2021, 19:38:16

Outcast,

While I applaud your spelling of “redneck” I am less impressed with your reading comprehension or writing composition.

What the heck are you going in about? Your post is incomprehensible.

Did you think I was taking a swipe at you?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby evilgenius » Tue 05 Oct 2021, 06:13:57

I think the point is that people are not so bad after all. Without them, you go crazy. But it is not so good to fall in with and transform yourself into the group you are with without giving it some thought.

They may not actually be enough like you that you can be yourself. It depends, for me, whether I can put up with how other people think we ought to treat people in general. When does it become ok to use certain tactics? What is the position on violence? Does loyalty cut across all lines?

It speaks to whether we can really ever fit in, for sure. If you don't you may be the first to be let go. But, maybe I am just being insecure. Maybe it will come down to debating how someone else can be let go, and how I am supposed to agree with that.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 05 Oct 2021, 07:31:36

That is a realistic concern for some of us. The Wife and I are inherent outsiders, urban hermits. It is very difficult for us to comfortably fit into any crowd, or even our own families. There are some exceptions and we are at peace with that. But we have also lost/reneged membership to a previously close group.

In observation I guess some quarter to third of the population need to be very tied to a group and then spend a lot of time virtue signaling their membership. They are quite visible and frequently obnoxious.

Then there are many who are more secure in their herd affiliation but for whom it is strong if quiet. The “loners” are probably under 10%.

These are unscientific guesses.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 05 Oct 2021, 14:22:46

Newfie wrote:Outcast,

While I applaud your spelling of “redneck” I am less impressed with your reading comprehension or writing composition.

What the heck are you going in about? Your post is incomprehensible.

Did you think I was taking a swipe at you?

So calling someone a redneck, given the context, isn't a swipe?

When I search on "redneck" via google, the first thing I see is that it is a derogatory word. Also that it's presumed to be "reactionary", and I'm no more far right than I am far left.

So yes, I took it that way. If you didn't mean it that way, fine, but perhaps an explanation is in order?
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 05 Oct 2021, 17:13:13

And exactly WHO did I call a redneck?
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 12 Oct 2021, 12:29:47

Newfie wrote:And exactly WHO did I call a redneck?

If you say so. Given the timing of the post and the context of my post right above your comment, if you can't imagine how I might have interpreted your comment that way, I don't get it.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 13 Oct 2021, 08:13:57

Outcast,

I am a redneck, a hick, a piney. Hell just look at my moniker.

Newfie (also Newf or sometimes Newfy) is a colloquial term used by Canadians for someone who is from Newfoundland. Some Newfoundlanders, particularly those from the city of St. John's (the capital of Newfoundland), consider "Newfie" as a slur used by American and Canadian military forces stationed on the island. The term also has its use in mid-to-late 20th century Newfie jokes that depicted "Newfies" as foolish, in particular when told in Canadian French, leading to the derogatory nature of the term.[1][2] The word was first recorded in a 1942 dictionary of slang.[citation needed]

I wear those monikers with pride.

Just don’t call me a Democrat, Republican, or City Slicker. Them’s fighting words. :badgrin:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate