Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 23 Jun 2021, 00:49:35

Azothius wrote:
dissident wrote:
If this disintegration continues, “the whole shelf could potentially fall apart in the next few years, which is greatly faster than what we expected,” said Ian Joughin, a glaciologist at the University of Washington’s Applied Physics Laboratory


Now where have I heard that before, that's right the "unexpected" melting rate of the Greenland ice sheet.

It was faster than expected.


this will probably be humanity's epitaph.



NASA: Earth is trapping 'unprecedented' amount of heat, warming 'faster than expected'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-earth-t ... 35519.html


After a while you just start expecting things to happen "faster then expected."

For instance: new-study-warns-that-sea-levels-will-rise-faster-than-expected/

If ice sheet disintegration and sea level rise and global warming are all happening "faster then expected," then most likely Civilization is going to collapse "faster then expected"too.

Image
That was faster then you expected, wasn't it?

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 24843
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby jedrider » Wed 23 Jun 2021, 13:36:03

"Faster-than-Expected" = "Feedbacks" + "Exponential"
User avatar
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 2920
Joined: Thu 28 May 2009, 10:10:44

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 23 Jun 2021, 15:49:27

jedrider wrote:"Faster-than-Expected" = "Feedbacks" + "Exponential"



Thats part of it.

But the Global Climate Models running on supercomputers have known feedbacks and exponential response included in the computer models.

A bigger problem is that scientists didn't totally understand the geophysical, chemical, oceanic, and atmospheric processes involved.

For instance, the climatic range of forests is quite large, and so scientists thought forests would be stable at higher temperatures because forests exist in a wide range of temperature conditions. However, there wasn't a very good understanding of the importance of soil moisture. Global warming in the west has been accompanied by year after year of drought, reducing soil moisture to the point that trees are stressed and dying over huge areas of the west. These are naturally very susceptible to forest fire.

Glaciologists didn't understand the importance of higher temperatures to ice flow velocities, and the nature of grounding lines at tidewater glaciers in Antarctica and Greenalnd had't been well mapped.

Atmospheric scientists didn't have a good understanding of how warming would affect clouds, and how those clouds would contribute to feedbacks.

And climate scientists who were doing climate modeling had no intrinsic way of knowing which models were most accurate, so they based future climate predictions on an AVERAGE of all the climate models, when actual rates of climate change are at the high end of predictions from all the global climate models.

And, as luck would have it, in just about every case as we learn more about how the planet works we were underestimating how quickly things would change, i.e., we find that climate change is happening "faster then expected," i.e. faster then global climate models (GCMs) were predicting.

Image
climate change is happening "faster then expected," i.e. faster then global climate models (GCMs) were predicting

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 24843
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby ROCKMAN » Mon 28 Jun 2021, 14:02:38

Plant -As you point out models are difficult. Especially since there is no such thing as an UNBIASED model. Every complex model requires many dozens (if not hundreds) of assumptions built into the model. And those assumptions always run in a range. And often a very wide range. So the modeler has to chose those values. And all to often the modeler has an objective. Human nature being what it is assumptions are chosen leading to the goal. Which isn't to say they are incorrect. But also not to say they are correct. And typically those assumptions rarely have any absolute measure of validity.

Thus one is really saying they agree with the assumptions made when they agree with the model. Which is often just agreeing with the modeler's OPINIONS.
User avatar
ROCKMAN
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 11312
Joined: Tue 27 May 2008, 03:00:00
Location: TEXAS

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 29 Jun 2021, 16:43:51

ROCKMAN wrote:Plant -As you point out models are difficult. Especially since there is no such thing as an UNBIASED model. Every complex model requires many dozens (if not hundreds) of assumptions built into the model.


Exactly right. And modeling something as huge and complex as the earth and all its systems is very very difficult. Thats why the modelers are continually upgrading the size and scope of their global climate models. They are just bringing on line truly huge models that run on supercomputers and incorporates as much real world data as possible. Just a new supercomputer can cost well over a billion dollars, and then a new building and new staff and research funding can add another billion to the cost. Its a huge scientific effort right now to improve these models.

new supercomputer to study climate change will cost over 1.5 billion dollars...

ROCKMAN wrote:And those assumptions always run in a range. And often a very wide range. So the modeler has to chose those values. And all to often the modeler has an objective. Human nature being what it is assumptions are chosen leading to the goal. Which isn't to say they are incorrect. But also not to say they are correct. And typically those assumptions rarely have any absolute measure of validity.

Thus one is really saying they agree with the assumptions made when they agree with the model. Which is often just agreeing with the modeler's OPINIONS.


The whole point of building bigger models on supercomputers is to drive out all those assumptions. HUGE amounts of money are being spent to compile more complete data sets and to understand exactly how every physical, atmospheric and geochemical process actually works, and then to program in as much REAL WORLD data as possible, and to write code that will simulate as much REAL WORLD physical processes as possible.

Of course it isn't perfect, but a good faith effort is being made to make the models as good as possible, and to reduce the number of assumptions and to make those assumptions as realistic as possible. AND, there are multiple models being created in the US, Europe, Japan, etc. that are at least semi-independent, so another check is to have all these independent modelers making their own analyses.

When you read the IPCC report, they are pretty transparent about which models they are using and what the variability is in the models runs and between different computers. The biggest flaw in the IPCC model predictions, IMHO, is that in the past they have AVERAGED all the models when making predictions of future climate. But we know now that more modern models tend to predict MORE warming and MORE sea level rise......and chances are these newer, better computer models are actually also making better predictions of future climate.

Image
Bigger and better global climate models are now coming on line.....

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 24843
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 01 Jul 2021, 19:21:25

realclimate.org is back! Trump is not here to fire the truthtellers any longer.

Why is future sea level rise still so uncertain?
https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2021/05/why-is-future-sea-level-rise-still-so-uncertain/#more-23600
User avatar
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 2920
Joined: Thu 28 May 2009, 10:10:44

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 05 Jul 2021, 23:17:09

jedrider wrote:realclimate.org is back! Trump is not here to fire the truthtellers any longer.

Why is future sea level rise still so uncertain?
https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2021/05/why-is-future-sea-level-rise-still-so-uncertain/#more-23600


And Obama isn't here to make phony promises about stopping the sea from rising.

Nope....what we've got now is a senile old man named Biden who, just like Trump and Obama, isn't going to do diddly squat about climate change and sea level rise.

Image
Sea level gonna rise
So Beach gonna die
Joe Biden is a senile old fart
I'm telling you he won't do diddly squat


Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 24843
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 14 Jul 2021, 08:56:41

"Coastal Cities to Flood More Frequently As Moon’s Orbit Changes"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/watch/co ... d=msedgdhp

Great news! This is a short Weather Channel video.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! Tulsi Gabbard 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat 16 Aug 2014, 15:06:32

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 14 Jul 2021, 16:20:53

"Coastal communities saw record-setting high-tide flooding in past year: NOAA"
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... ng-in-2020

More great news! When my wife and I shop for cars in Miami, we don't even consider options that are not built on a higher platform. We had a Honda Civic float in South Beach in the early 90s, and only consider 4WD SUVs now. I wish I could buy a subcompact like the Suzuki Swifts we owned after the Civic, but it would be a stupid choice here today, unfortunately.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! Tulsi Gabbard 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Sat 16 Aug 2014, 15:06:32

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 14 Jul 2021, 19:32:36

JuanP wrote:"Coastal communities saw record-setting high-tide flooding in past year: NOAA"
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... ng-in-2020

More great news! When my wife and I shop for cars in Miami, we don't even consider options that are not built on a higher platform. We had a Honda Civic float in South Beach in the early 90s, and only consider 4WD SUVs now. I wish I could buy a subcompact like the Suzuki Swifts we owned after the Civic, but it would be a stupid choice here today, unfortunately.

Given the realities of SLR and FL geography, including so much sand, it amazes me that so many are willing to risk living in FL, given realities (over time) like property insurance and AGW getting steadily worse (as a trend), and even accelerating.

The more time passes, the more I don't get it.

At least in Miami, they're trying to do something about the flooding, but given all the costs over time though, I can only imagine what the taxes will be like in a decade or two. Plus what things will be like when a big storm causes the mitigation measures to fail -- even for just a couple/few days.

More and more, I like the fact that boring old central KY is almost immune from blizzards, major flooding, big earthquakes, hurricanes, all but very rare tornadoes, etc. Sometimes, boring is GOOD.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
User avatar
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 9628
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 21:26:42
Location: Central KY

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby mustang19 » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 22:36:38

Plantagenet wrote:
jedrider wrote:realclimate.org is back! Trump is not here to fire the truthtellers any longer.

Why is future sea level rise still so uncertain?
https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2021/05/why-is-future-sea-level-rise-still-so-uncertain/#more-23600


And Obama isn't here to make phony promises about stopping the sea from rising.

Nope....what we've got now is a senile old man named Biden who, just like Trump and Obama, isn't going to do diddly squat about climate change and sea level rise.


Sea level gonna rise
So Beach gonna die
Joe Biden is a senile old fart
I'm telling you he won't do diddly squat


Cheers!



There are 5 kg of co2 per square meter. That's about a inch. It is claimed a 1% increase of co2 raises temperature 1 degree or more, at 1 kw per square meter. Delta T between earth and space is 300K. That means we need a R value of .3 to insulate the earth. "Normal" insulation is around 1.

From [here](https://pmags.com/sleepings-pads-a-grounded-view) a R value of 1 insulates approximately a five degree difference. So we would need a 400% increase in co2 to raise temperature five degrees K.

Yet, climate models like IPCC require a ~5% rise in co2 for this. Converted to an R value this would mean co2 is 30 or more.

Why is co2 10-100x more effective as a insulator than in real life?
mustang19
permanently banned
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri 06 Nov 2020, 20:43:52

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 23:13:31

mustang19 wrote: we would need a 400% increase in co2 to raise temperature five degrees K.



My gosh....you really are a doomer, aren't you.

CO2 has more then doubled since the 18th century, and temperature has gone up ca. 1.5 to 1.8 degrees C. We've already got sea level increasing, forest fires exploding across the west, huge flooding events in China and Europe, the most powerful hurricanes ever seen and we've just gone through the hottest June on record.......and you are thinking about a "five degree K" temperature increase?

WOW.....I'm not sure things are going to hold together if we just get up to the 2 degree C increase that the Paris Accords are going to bring about.

Image
We're going to see what kind of climate disasters a 2 degree C increase in global T bring about in the next 10-20 years or so, IMHO.....thats should be bad enough for anyone I would think

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 24843
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby mustang19 » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 23:21:40

Plantagenet wrote:
mustang19 wrote: we would need a 400% increase in co2 to raise temperature five degrees K.



My gosh....you really are a doomer, aren't you.

CO2 has more then doubled since the 18th century, and temperature has gone up ca. 1.5 to 1.8 degrees C. We've already got sea level increasing, forest fires exploding across the west, huge flooding events in China and Europe, the most powerful hurricanes ever seen and we've just gone through the hottest June on record.......and you are thinking about a "five degree K" temperature increase?

WOW.....I'm not sure things are going to hold together if we just get up to the 2 degree C increase that the Paris Accords are going to bring about.

Image
We're going to see what kind of climate disasters a 2 degree C increase in global T bring about in the next 10-20 years or so, IMHO.....thats should be bad enough for anyone I would think

Cheers!


Your own actions prove you don't believe what you're saying. You claim co2 is a 100x better insulator than fiberglass. Words are meaningless to you.

Now of course if you mean only climate change - that happens, libs will die too. A thousand years ago Siberia was a rainforest.

But the global warming issue is entirely irrelevant due to society collapsing anyway.
mustang19
permanently banned
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri 06 Nov 2020, 20:43:52

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 23:28:55

mustang19 wrote: You claim co2 is a 100x better insulator than fiberglass.


No I don't. I've never said that.

mustang19 wrote: Words are meaningless to you.


No they aren't.

mustang19 wrote: . A thousand years ago Siberia was a rainforest.


No it wasn't.

mustang19 wrote: the global warming issue is entirely irrelevant due to society collapsing .....


Right-O.

Keep telling yourself that.....but given how many clearly delusional things you post I don't see how you can trust your own opinion on anything.

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 24843
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby mustang19 » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 23:29:44

Plantagenet wrote:
mustang19 wrote: You claim co2 is a 100x better insulator than fiberglass.


No I don't. I've never said that.

mustang19 wrote: Words are meaningless to you.


No they aren't.

mustang19 wrote: . A thousand years ago Siberia was a rainforest.


No it wasn't.

mustang19 wrote: the global warming issue is entirely irrelevant due to society collapsing .....


Right-O.

Keep telling yourself that.....but given how many clearly delusional things you post I don't see how you can trust your own opinion on anything.

Cheers!


Then you've refuted global warming and accept co2 is feeble. Anyway whatever mr troll
mustang19
permanently banned
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri 06 Nov 2020, 20:43:52

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 21 Jul 2021, 01:56:46

mustang19 wrote:... you've refuted global warming....


Yes....you said that once before and other posters said you were an idiot.

Clearly your reading comprehension skills are extremely limited and/or you are delusional.

Given your clear inability to carry on an intelligent conversation I think I'm going to close here by doing a victory dance.

Image
good luck to you!

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
User avatar
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 24843
Joined: Mon 09 Apr 2007, 03:00:00
Location: Alaska (its much bigger than Texas).

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby mustang19 » Wed 21 Jul 2021, 02:45:50

Plantagenet wrote:
mustang19 wrote:... you've refuted global warming....


Yes....you said that once before and other posters said you were an idiot.

Clearly your reading comprehension skills are extremely limited and/or you are delusional.

Given your clear inability to carry on an intelligent conversation I think I'm going to close here by doing a victory dance.


good luck to you!

Cheers!


If you deny the mentally retarded claim that co2 is a 100x better insulator than real insulation then global warming collapses.
mustang19
permanently banned
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri 06 Nov 2020, 20:43:52

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 21 Jul 2021, 21:06:57

Plant,
Nice victory dance. Well deserved.
User avatar
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16240
Joined: Thu 15 Nov 2007, 04:00:00
Location: Between Canada and Carribean

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby mustang19 » Wed 21 Jul 2021, 21:10:51

Newfie wrote:Plant,
Nice victory dance. Well deserved.


It's obvious you don't believe what you're saying. Go overturn physics with your insulation claim.
mustang19
permanently banned
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Fri 06 Nov 2020, 20:43:52

Re: Sea Level Rise Pt. 3

Unread postby rangerone314 » Thu 22 Jul 2021, 15:31:26

Guys, gay marriage is now a THING!

Just sayin'.
An ideology is by definition not a search for TRUTH-but a search for PROOF that its point of view is right

Equals barter and negotiate-people with power just take

You cant defend freedom by eliminating it-unknown

Our elected reps should wear sponsor patches on their suits so we know who they represent-like Nascar-Roy
User avatar
rangerone314
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 4089
Joined: Wed 03 Dec 2008, 04:00:00
Location: Maryland

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests