Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

How I'm preparing for the CyberPolygon

How I'm preparing for the CyberPolygon

Unread postby Polybius » Sun 04 Jul 2021, 03:35:25

So personally as prep I'm attacking it from the low hanging fruit angle.... Went to my local Harbor Freight and for about 800 bucks got a 3500 Watt Predator Inverter generator and about ten of the 5 gallon gas tanks (50 gallon total) of fuel/gasoline... In a lights, grid and Internet out scenario here in the middle of July in Texas I'll at least be able to run a portable AC to keep one room reasonable cool for about two to three weeks... Once I get my generator running (I have a smaller Honda inverter as backup in case the Predator craps out etc) I can power my other powerbanks without any issue... its really things like AC, microwave, etc that take up the most power.... I also have couple pistol, rifle incase my neighboors try to kill me to steal my stuff etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA39ThzhgoI

In terms of most bang for buck in terms of cross section of screen display versus power consumption I settled on a tablet (Samsung 10 inch) as large enough not to strain the eyes but small enough a device form factor to not consume too much power versus say a laptop or especially a desktop...

I have a Amazon Kindle (voyager generation) that I have kept about 1000+ self help, emergency prep, survival etc books /pdf that I downloaded mostly from the piratebay and converted to epub or kindle compatibile format... for offline reading... way better than carrying a bunch of papper books around in a SHTF scenario and compared to a tablet it saves a lot of battery power , lasts longer, and is LED backlit for night reading....

I also have a Huawei P40 lite but I couldn't get it to accept a microSD card unfortunately... with the Samsung tablet I can insert a microSD card for extra storage up to 512GB supported...

For the Samsung tablet I got me a 512 GB microsd card, put the Kiwix apk app on the tablet and downloaded and transferred all the wiki stuff including the Wikipedia, dictionary, quotes, books, sources, news, etc etc to my microsdcard and can run the whole works, all wikipedia articles, etc from my tablet from the Kiwix app completely offline...

https://www.kiwix.org/en/

https://wiki.kiwix.org/wiki/Main_Page

Still have more than enough storage on the sdcard to download the entire world map all 106GB of it from Planet OSM

https://planet.osm.org/

However I tend to like Google Maps format better because it has things like other metadata such as POI, and named places like restuarants, musuems, schools, businesses including their contact numbers, hours of operations, ratings, and other tidbits that aren't included in something like Here Maps or Planet OSM....

Google Maps does let you download an offline copy, problem is I cannot do that on my Huawei P40 Lite since it doesn't support Google Play, and though I can download it to my Samsung tablet, Google has nasty habit of deleting the cache maps after 30 days so as to prevent them from going stale if someone where to use offline copy of the map for say after months... that is precisely what you don't want in a long term SHTF situation....

To work around this I downloaded VMware Workstation Pro on my laptop and set up a Windows VM (which then I can snapshot and basically freeze in time etc) and inside the Vmware VM I downloaded another Android based emulator called BlueStacks 5, so with this emulator I can download Google Maps app inside my Windows VM (with itself is portable appliance that I can run nested inside Linux or any other base OS /machine.... After I download all the maps that I needed (Google Maps has limitation of about 30 offline maps at a time) which include the 30 largest cities in the world, (and also my entire metroplex and nearby regions) I then zip/compress the C:\ProgramData\BlueStacks_nxt folder which contains the android VM datadisk files etc... So now I can have an offline Google Maps that I can run on any windows, mac or linux machine and keep it forever...

https://www.vmware.com/products/worksta ... ation.html

https://www.bluestacks.com/

https://support.bluestacks.com/hc/en-us ... -installer
Polybius
Peat
Peat

Re: How I'm preparing for the CyberPolygon

Unread postby Pops » Sun 04 Jul 2021, 06:55:17

Hadn't heard that one, thanks.

I guess it depends on the scope and specific targets. Like say Target, or better, Walmart. Overall, Wally sells 25 percent of all groceries in the US, but In lots of places, like my little town, and all the surrounding little towns, they've put everyone else out of business so they sell 100%. Not only could they not resupply, they no longer have human checkers so they couldn't even sell what they have on hand for cash.

Wide scale and long term? You're talking about something really ugly, right out of survivalist fan fiction. Beans, bullets and bullion. I don't have a clue how realistic a complete shutdown is or how to plan for something so random without going full bunker.
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 04 Jul 2021, 07:19:13

So I googled Cyber Polygon and I got this link to a WEF site. Not that I trust the WEF, especially since the “Great Reset” shit. BUT I am missing the connection to a potential electrical/digital shut down.

What is Cyber Polygon?

Cyber Polygon is a unique cybersecurity event that combines the world's largest technical training exercise for corporate teams and an online conference featuring senior officials from international organisations and leading corporations.

The 2021 conference discusses the key risks of digitalisation and best practice for the secure development of digital ecosystems.

The 2021 technical exercise builds and tests the skills needed to protect our industries, centring on a targeted supply-chain attack.

Every year, the training brings together a global businesses and government agencies to collaborate on technical exercises. The live stream draws in millions of spectators from across the world.

https://www.weforum.org/projects/cyber-polygon

That said, I have been thinking of getting a water proof Galaxy tablet for other reasons. Is there a particular reason you picked the Galaxy? Is there a particular Galaxy you would buy today?

You have posted some intriguing links.

Thanks.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pops » Mon 05 Jul 2021, 10:58:42

Pops wrote:I guess it depends on the scope and specific targets. Like say Target, or better, Walmart. Overall, Wally sells 25 percent of all groceries in the US, but In lots of places, like my little town, and all the surrounding little towns, they've put everyone else out of business so they sell 100%.

Honestly when I wrote that I hadn't seen this...
NYT, July 2, 2021
Hundreds of businesses around the world, including one of Sweden’s largest grocery chains, grappled on Saturday with potential cybersecurity vulnerabilities after a software provider that provides services to more than 40,000 organizations, Kaseya, said it had been the victim of a “sophisticated cyberattack.”
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 05 Jul 2021, 11:52:26

Then hilarious thing is ethernet was invented by DARPA to provide MORE security through flexible routing.

Classic “one step forward, two steps back.”

Maybe we need our networks to learn social distancing? :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Mon 05 Jul 2021, 16:10:06

Apparently Cyber Polygon is also a song.

lyrics
The cyber polygon consuming data all day long
Harvesting our hopes and fears crunching zeros and the ones
In the beast system crypto corporations run the show
Firewalling cyber terror trying to break the code
They got our souls they got our flesh
They got our lives our DNA
Trading on the stock exchage
Our biometric sensors played
They got the pre-crime AI bots
Analyzing our chromosomes
Looking for the slightest sign
Of a free thought roaming round
Help us find a way to break this cage
Technocratic slavery’s their way
The fallen angels cry out branding their mark of the beast
Without which we can neither buy nor sell or trade or eat
They wanna merge man and machine
Transhumanist wet dream
Transcend the boundaries of life
Eternal skin jobs scene
This dystopian nightmare is real
Crushing everything beneath it’s wheels
If I could choose the life to live
I’d want it as my own
If you don’t mind I would like to live
Not as a mindless drone
As I walk this lonely path my conscience clear I know
But I’m learning how to give surrounded by lost souls
Social mindset is mutating into commie clones
Communitarian zombies breeding trapped in their homes
How did we get to this point it’s embarrassing for sure
But reality bites when they come knocking at the door

https://tonybyker.bandcamp.com/track/b-r-p-l-g-n
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Polybius » Mon 05 Jul 2021, 18:04:09

Newfie wrote:So I googled Cyber Polygon and I got this link to a WEF site. Not that I trust the WEF, especially since the “Great Reset” shit. BUT I am missing the connection to a potential electrical/digital shut down.

What is Cyber Polygon?

Cyber Polygon is a unique cybersecurity event that combines the world's largest technical training exercise for corporate teams and an online conference featuring senior officials from international organisations and leading corporations.

The 2021 conference discusses the key risks of digitalisation and best practice for the secure development of digital ecosystems.

The 2021 technical exercise builds and tests the skills needed to protect our industries, centring on a targeted supply-chain attack.

Every year, the training brings together a global businesses and government agencies to collaborate on technical exercises. The live stream draws in millions of spectators from across the world.

https://www.weforum.org/projects/cyber-polygon

That said, I have been thinking of getting a water proof Galaxy tablet for other reasons. Is there a particular reason you picked the Galaxy? Is there a particular Galaxy you would buy today?

You have posted some intriguing links.

Thanks.

It may or may not happen in July.... but recall Event 201 simulation was in October and by November there was the first hints of COVID...
CyberPolygon is in July, and its a simulation/drill.... many are saying that COVID didn't do the sort of demand destruction TPTB were hoping so now its time for a false flag powerdown, grid out, for a couple days/weeks and then emerging from the wake of this cyber 911 gone will be what limited internet freedumbs and free speech you thought you had left, basically a full on escrow key encryption (all encryption must have backdoors) and you will need Internet ID tied to realID perhaps to a vaccine implant chip in order to go on the internet as they ban everything from paper cash to ipv4 and we go to a full total positive control environment where soon you wont' even able to connect to the Internet at all without active authentication/approval...

Windows 11 comes with mandate of TPM (Trust Platform Module) which is a chip on chip sort of out of band method that can be backdoored so that you do not even have control of your own hardware/computer/motherboard and the root access is given to Microsoft and the US govenrment etc.... People say just boot linux? soon you won't be able to buy a computer or motherboard that will allow you to boot any OS other than a digital signed Microsoft Windows 11 or worse an OSX from Apple... might want to stock up on some motherboards and computer parts, the semiconductor and chip shortage way get worse and technology is now getting more expensive no longer cheaper....

I picked Samsung because I can root it to gain full access and install my own custom bootloader, ROM, OS etc , plus they are the most popular tablet platform and even the bluestacks has the best emulator for samsung etc

https://twrp.me/Devices/Samsung/

My current tablet is SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab S6 Lite 10.4-inch Android Tablet 128GB Wi-Fi S Pen AKG Dual Speakers, Angora Blue
Most of them are water resistant, never though about water proofing it...
Polybius
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Polybius » Mon 05 Jul 2021, 18:21:02

Newfie wrote:Then hilarious thing is ethernet was invented by DARPA to provide MORE security through flexible routing.

Classic “one step forward, two steps back.”

Maybe we need our networks to learn social distancing? :-D

It was to provide redundancy in routing of communications in case of nuclear war... mostly between government agencies, defense departments and universities and big businesses...

There are already concepts like VLANs, air gap environments, etc etc

Cybersuckerity is all hype, if it happens it will be a government false flag to blame on China and Russia whilsts clamping down on Internet and freedom in the domestic homeland
Polybius
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Pops » Tue 06 Jul 2021, 08:12:46

Polybius wrote:It may or may not happen in July.... but recall Event 201 simulation was in October and by November there was the first hints of COVID...

Oh jeez. :oops:
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby evilgenius » Fri 09 Jul 2021, 04:45:17

It's too bad that coders drive coding. If most coders understood how to separate the elements of their programming better, cyber attacks wouldn't be such a problem. Put data in a database, not a flat file. Protect the way in and out of said database. Control the permissions in and out of things like image collections.

Additionally, why is it that your files can be encrypted and you don't have any control over whether they are or not? Linux handles that sort of thing with permissions. Users can't exceed their permissions. You can't write anything if you haven't been given permission to do so. Ransomware is a hole that exists because the people who provide your operating system don't want to fix what is wrong. Maybe they think it is too deeply embedded?
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Karle » Sat 10 Jul 2021, 05:57:38

Still on a small scale - but it has happened just in time here in Germany:

The Anhalt-Bitterfeld district office has been paralysed for days after a cyber attack. On Friday, a disaster situation was declared because services are likely to be down for a long time.

https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen- ... z-100.html

More to come
Karle
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 10 Jul 2021, 12:15:40

Karle wrote:it has happened just in time here in Germany:

The Anhalt-Bitterfeld district office has been paralysed for days after a cyber attack. On Friday, a disaster situation was declared because services are likely to be down for a long time.

https://www.mdr.de/nachrichten/sachsen- ... z-100.html

More to come

No worries.

Joe Biden gave Putin a list of things that Putin wasn't supposed to hack at their summit meeting a few weeks ago.

All you have to do is send some money to Hunter Biden and then ask Joe Biden to have your local government services added to Joe Biden's list so Putin won't hack it anymore.

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 10 Jul 2021, 12:26:25

evilgenius wrote:It's too bad that coders drive coding. If most coders understood how to separate the elements of their programming better, cyber attacks wouldn't be such a problem. Put data in a database, not a flat file. Protect the way in and out of said database. Control the permissions in and out of things like image collections.

Additionally, why is it that your files can be encrypted and you don't have any control over whether they are or not? Linux handles that sort of thing with permissions. Users can't exceed their permissions. You can't write anything if you haven't been given permission to do so. Ransomware is a hole that exists because the people who provide your operating system don't want to fix what is wrong. Maybe they think it is too deeply embedded?

Good points. As much as I hated many aspects of IBM, their security software like RACF, and how they implemented things like DB2 DDF (connections between DB2 subsystems) utilizing RACF, would really let people who actually CARED about security do quite a thorough job of locking things down, and use an effective heirarchy of permissions that were easy to use once you understood them. Of course, that's mainframe stuff for banking and serious corporate operations that I'm talking about. I don't know what the state of things is for PC based servers outside of Linux.

As I understand it, Windows is fundamentally flawed, re its design and security. And an indication of this is that there are well over 10,000 (when I checked last year) variants of documented Windows malware, and about 40 known Linux viruses. The fight is unending with Windows. With Linux, they can add a couple/few new items to the list when they release a periodic OS release update, if needed.

Now, given the cash cow that Windoes is (despite all its flaws) to Microsoft, what are the odds that Microsoft would fix that if not forced? And what are the odds that the hapless collection of clowns in the beltway WILL force that, or make them replace/rewrite it as it probably should be, etc?

I vote for so close to zero, that the delta is irrelevant.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate