Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Three Gorges Dam

Re: Three Gorges Dam

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 30 May 2021, 10:54:38

JuanP wrote:"China swings into flood defenses as 97 rivers exceed warning levels"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202105/1224700.shtml

"China has swung into gear to fortify its flood-defense network ahead of what may be a heavy flood season, with 97 rivers across the country having already exceeded warning levels as of Thursday."

So, the rainy season has started early in China this year, but the Chinese allege that they are capable of dealing with bigger floods than last year's, if necessary. They've had another year to build better flood defenses, but they are still 3 to 4 years away from completing all the infrastructure in the national flood defense plan, which was designed at the same time of the Three Gorges Dam construction. So far, they are on schedule to complete it as part of their current Five Year Plan, as originally intended.

As AGW continues, with the inevitable effects, this kind of thing is going to become an ever more pervasive problem for much of the world. Especially where people are close to water, in very hot areas, in areas drying out, etc.

The US is replete with examples, which have been in the news, like parts of Florida, Texas, California, and much of the southwest (re drought) in general.

At least the Chinese are actively trying to deal with the problem. Now, whether they will be largely successful over time, remains to be seen, of course. And bad luck, like a Katrina-style / level event, could make things very ugly indeed, at least in the short term. And of course, they didn't know all we know now re AGW, when the dam was built, any more than oil companies knew all we know now about AGW in the 70's.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 18 Jun 2021, 20:08:14

"Massive China Hydropower Plant Begins Full Operation"
https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News ... ation.html

"The Wudongde hydropower plant on the Yangtze River has begun full operation, Reuters has reported, citing state-owned Chinese media.

The 12-generator plant cost close to $19 billion to build and has an installed capacity of 10.2 GW. It first started generating electricity last year, but now all its generators have been put online so it is fully operational.

The plant is the seventh-largest hydropower facility in the world.

According to a China Central Television report cited by Global Times, the Wudongde hydropower plant would have the capacity to produce 38.91 billion kWh annually at full capacity. This will be the equivalent of saving some 12.2 million tons of standard coal and eliminating 30.5 million tons of carbon dioxide annually."

"China is the world’s leader in hydropower capacity, with a total of 1.302 terawatt-hours as of 2019. Canada is a distant second with 398 TWh. As befits the global leader, China is home to four of the world’s largest hydropower plants, including the massive Three Gorges dam with a capacity of 22.5 GW and Xiluodu with a capacity of 13.86 GW.

Thanks to its abundant hydropower resources, China is actively building its generation capacity as part of its efforts to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels and pollution. The Wudongde plant is part of this buildup that should help China come closer to its goal of becoming a carbon-neutral economy by 2060."

China continues building hydroelectric, nuclear, solar, biomass, and wind power plants at an incredible speed and is becoming a world leader in most of these fields.
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby evilgenius » Sat 19 Jun 2021, 10:39:09

I wonder what will happen to China? Many think they will dominate the globe. When they think that they often see them going forward like they are today.

I think they are the one country on the planet most likely to have a revolution. The people, in numbers, want democracy. The government has to sell the current order to them, and hope that draconian measures limiting the spread of information will help them do that. At the same time, the people, almost to a man, know about the power of at least bridled capitalism.

Just like Moore's law, the simplicity of looking at the future through a lens of five year plans is going to fail at some point. In fact, I think it may be right now because Xi seems to want to impose his ideology. Xi doesn't listen as well as he would need to in order to keep up. He almost got caught up in his country's too slow Corona Virus response. He stepped in, to repair a situation that his top down only way of operating caused in the first place.

The real question is what will the US do? I mean, should the US remain in its relative position. An economically powerful and democratic China is exactly what the hyper-competitive US doesn't want. The China of today makes a much better slave. I mean slave as in a slave hard drive more than a proper slave. I mean slave in terms of so much of what they are being made up of being decisions made in the US and not at home. Their whole economy is patterned off of profiting off of what the US(and Europe) wants. They are good at copying, but not so good at making something novel. That too could change.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 00:28:02

Two dams just collapsed in northern China after heavy rains

two-dams-chinas-inner-mongolia-collapse-after-heavy-rain

Hopefully someone will bring this to the attention of Comrade XI so that more attention iwill be paid to the problem of dam safety in China, especially in light of the changing climate and changing rainfall in China.

All those Chinese dams are very very safe.........right up to the moment that they aren't safe
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 15:10:27

Plantagenet wrote:Two dams just collapsed in northern China after heavy rains

two-dams-chinas-inner-mongolia-collapse-after-heavy-rain

Hopefully someone will bring this to the attention of Comrade XI so that more attention iwill be paid to the problem of dam safety in China, especially in light of the changing climate and changing rainfall in China.

All those Chinese dams are very very safe.........right up to the moment that they aren't safe

Good thing that all the dams in the US are PERFECTLY safe. :roll:

https://blog.nada.org/2021/01/12/nada-i ... -forecast/

Just like the levees, say, like those around New Orleans, re what transpired with Katrina. :idea:

Or of course, that perfectly safe Oroville dam as recently as 2017. 8)

https://damfailures.org/case-study/orov ... rnia-2017/

But if your ilk keeps China bashing, no doubt, that will prevent their ascension. :lol:

You DO realize that Mongolia isn't exactly a major population hub, like a big Chinese city, right?
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby JuanP » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 19:45:16

"Amid rain and floods, China sends military to stop 'imminent' dam collapse in Henan"
https://www.rt.com/news/529774-china-ar ... e-warning/

"As floods wreak havoc on China’s Henan province, the military has been dispatched to prevent a dam from collapsing. Floodwaters have already washed away two dams elsewhere in China this week.

Heavy rain and rising floodwaters overwhelmed Henan province in central China on Tuesday, flooding subway stations in the city of Zhengzhou and washing vehicles off the road. By Tuesday night, however, the nearby city of Luoyang and its seven million inhabitants faced an even more sobering threat: the collapse of the Yihetan Dam, which holds back the waters of the Yellow River from the city.

China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) announced on Tuesday that “a 20-meter breach” occurred in the dam, and that the entire structure “could collapse at any time.” In a post to Weibo, a Chinese social media platform, the PLA said that troops had been sent to blast the dam and divert floodwaters.

Photos shared by the Shanghai Daily news site show some of what it reported as “20,000 soldiers and armed policemen” deployed to Yihetan and another dam in the province to prevent further flooding."

We have been seeing a lot of record breaking floods, droughts, heat waves, hurricanes, etc. this past few years. I look forward to a very interesting rest of my life. :o
"Human stupidity has no limits" JuanP
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 20 Jul 2021, 23:02:58

Third dam in 48 hours collapses in China following heavy rains

dam-near-chinas-flooded-zhenghou-city-collapses-third-last-48-hours

Thats pretty remarkable to have three dams collapse in just 48 hours in China......and apparently there is a fourth dam that is also on the verge of collapse

Some ninny up the thread said the flooding in China was no big deal because it wasn't affecting cities.....HELLO....of course the anomalously heavy rains in China are not only collapsing dams----the cities are flooding as well. There have been major flash floods through one city in central China and in another city the flooding is so bad that the subways are flooded. Videos have actually come out of people in subway cars standing in chest high water......I sure hope the PLA is being mobilized to rescue those people and get everyone to safety in central China.

watch-chinese-subway-passengers-trapped-chest-high-floodwaters-heavy-rain-pounds-henan

In addition to the multiple dam collapses, cities in central China are being hit with major flooding....sweeping cars away and inundating the subway systems.

Cheers!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 10 Sep 2023, 18:42:47

Three Gorges Dam ship locks log record monthly cargo throughput

The monthly cargo throughput via the five-tier ship locks at the Three Gorges Dam, the world's largest hydropower project in the upper stream of the Yangtze, reached a record high of over 15.71 million tonnes in August, according to the China Three Gorges Corporation. (Photo by Zheng Jiayu/Xinhua)

WUHAN, Sept. 4 (Xinhua) -- The monthly cargo throughput via the five-tier ship locks at the Three Gorges Dam, the world's largest hydropower project in the upper stream of the Yangtze, reached a record high of over 15.71 million tonnes in August, according to the China Three Gorges Corporation.

China's longest river, the Yangtze is an east-west inland waterway, and it is regarded as the country's "golden shipping route."

During August, the ship locks operated 965 times and saw the passing of 3,737 vessels, according to the corporation.

The Three Gorges project is a multi-functional water-control system, consisting of a 2,309-meter-long and 185-meter-high dam, five-tier ship locks on the north and south sides, and 34 turbo-generators with a combined power generating capacity of 22.5 million kilowatts.

Since the ship locks opened to trial navigation in June 2003, the volume of freight passing through them has increased rapidly.

http://en.ce.cn/main/latest/202309/05/t ... 1632.shtml
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Volunteer
Volunteer

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate