Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

California: Early-stage Apocalypse

California: Early-stage Apocalypse

Unread postby Azothius » Sat 05 Jun 2021, 14:34:28

The case could be made that, in conjunction with Late-stage Capitalism, California is in the midst of Early-stage Apocalypse, as they have already been experiencing years of Climate Chaos.

Consider their recurring years of unprecedented heat waves, drought, immense wildfires, and a deluge thrown in:

CALIFORNIA FROM DROUGHT TO DELUGE
https://climatemodeling.science.energy. ... ght-deluge
JOURNAL: Nature Climate Change
PUBLICATION DATE: 06/2017

The dramatic switch from extreme drought to severe flooding in California, and the accompanying flip from atmospheric ridge to trough in the northeastern Pacific, exemplifies the pathways to an intensified water cycle under a warming climate.

The prolonged drought in California from 2012 to 2016 was recently broken by a dramatic reversal in the form of extreme precipitation events and flooding. In the Sierra Nevada mountains, precipitation in January and February 2017 exceeded that of the previous wettest year on record, 1982–1983. For the first time in its history, water poured over the emergency spillway of the Lake Oroville dam, California's second largest reservoir. The excessive precipitation and resultant floods led to the declaration of yet another state of emergency, this time from a very different perspective with regard to the 2014 drought. The media, resource management entities, and the scientific community have already started to inquire as to why there was such a sudden switch from extensive drought to the other extreme.

That's the same Lake Oroville that is now drying up...

Lake Oroville’s Water Woes Could Turn Into Power Problem
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/06 ... r-problem/

California is now forecasting Lake Oroville could hit a record low level, not seen in nearly half a century. And if it does, the California Department of Water Resources will plan to shut down the reservoir’s Edward Hyatt hydroelectric power plant because of its low water supply.

If they have brownouts due to fear of wildfires, and this hydroelectric power plant is also shut down, I wonder how Northern California will fair for commerce and comfort this year. (Obviously the drought is already having its affect on agriculture. And not to mention the ongoing economic impact of the pandemic and now supply shortages.)

#Thoughts and Prayers

#Let the derision ensue
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Re: California: Early-stage Apocalypse

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 05 Jun 2021, 15:28:25

One way or another we are all there. Someplace's a bit more obvious than others.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 05 Jun 2021, 21:22:37

Azothius wrote:The case could be made that, in conjunction with Late-stage Capitalism, California is in the midst of Early-stage Apocalypse, as they have already been experiencing years of Climate Chaos.

...as though that is the reason Californian population dropped for the first time in recorded history.

High cost of living and housing shortage being cited in the article. Just imagine what'll happen when the non-climate related BIG ONE hits.
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020

Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Azothius » Wed 09 Jun 2021, 02:05:46

Newfie wrote:One way or another we are all there. Someplace's a bit more obvious than others.

True enough.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 09 Jun 2021, 12:27:53

Azothius wrote:The case could be made that, in conjunction with Late-stage Capitalism, California is in the midst of Early-stage Apocalypse, as they have already been experiencing years of Climate Chaos.

Consider their recurring years of unprecedented heat waves, drought, immense wildfires, and a deluge thrown in:

CALIFORNIA FROM DROUGHT TO DELUGE
https://climatemodeling.science.energy. ... ght-deluge
JOURNAL: Nature Climate Change
PUBLICATION DATE: 06/2017

The dramatic switch from extreme drought to severe flooding in California, and the accompanying flip from atmospheric ridge to trough in the northeastern Pacific, exemplifies the pathways to an intensified water cycle under a warming climate.

And yet, look how little actually is done re policy to try to discourage population growth in the most at-risk areas, re any actual meaningful government action.

The fact that this is happening and is a trend for the vast majority of the world, generally, is obvious re the data and the science.

It's the consistent lack of meaningful attempts to actually plan and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT that continues to amaze me. We're not bacteria sitting in a petri dish, re the size of our brains -- and yet, collectively, humanity tends to act like it.

I at least get that trying to discourage people from reproducing is difficult and that moral issues and freedom comes into play. (I would argue that OVERPOPULATION is the base reason for most of humanity's problems, including the speed and scope of climate change). But there's little excuse for ignoring AGW and the resulting climate change issues, aside from people only wanting to maximizing their OWN short term welfare, and to hell with everyone else.

At least with the right wing (globally), perhaps that's consistent with their attitudes re economics and freedom. But what's the excuse from the left wing (globally), when supposedly no amount of money spent to help the disadvantaged and achieve "fairness" is too much?

As soon as it gets a bit expensive or inconvenient, then almost NOBODY wants to do anything meaningful about AGW, no matter how much worse it gets.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby mousepad » Wed 09 Jun 2021, 17:22:34

Outcast_Searcher wrote:As soon as it gets a bit expensive or inconvenient, then almost NOBODY wants to do anything meaningful about AGW, no matter how much worse it gets.

exactly. I believe the right way forward would be LESS. Less work time, less production, less consumption, less waste, less population.
mousepad
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 09 Jun 2021, 21:10:55

mousepad wrote: I believe the right way forward would be LESS. Less work time, less production, less consumption, less waste, less population.

Yup....thats exactly what we need. I agree 100%.

Just less population would do the trick. Fewer people would inevitably mean Less work time, less production, less consumption, and less waste.

And California and the rest of the US would already be headed for lower population numbers except for the Ds, who are doing everything they can to bring in as many legal and illegal immigrants as possible. One of the first things Biden did upon taking office was to make it easier for illegal immigrants to come insto the US. And sure enough, we're in the middle of a massive surge of illegal immigration right now.

And thats why US population is going up and up and up. ALL US population gains for decades now have been 100% due to immigration.

Thanks Joe! Good job on getting those illegal immigant numbers way way up! And you did it so quickly! WOW!

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 09 Jun 2021, 21:28:23

mousepad wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:As soon as it gets a bit expensive or inconvenient, then almost NOBODY wants to do anything meaningful about AGW, no matter how much worse it gets.

exactly. I believe the right way forward would be LESS. Less work time, less production, less consumption, less waste, less population.

I agree 100% with both of you.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! Tulsi Gabbard 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Azothius » Thu 10 Jun 2021, 03:12:55

JuanP wrote:
mousepad wrote:

I agree 100% with both of you.

Is it Dissident who has pointed out a number of times that humans are not, as a general population, programed to think long term, but programmed to focus upon immediate needs and wants. Though one could argue that people might plan for their own retirement and their children's welfare after they are gone. So there is the ability to think long term, but it raises the point that humans are also not programmed to think of humanity's welfare as a whole. Which also raises the point that humans are not programmed to think of humanity's cumulative impact upon the earth, just one's own. Driving their SUVs and buying bottled water, yadda, yadda, yadda, they see only their infinitesimal impacts, not the cumulative impact of the US or the global population. The sad reality is that, as a general whole, humans are not enlightened enough to think about, or care about, the long term general welfare, nor are humans able to grasp the cumulative impact of millions of people making the same deleterious choices. There are, of course, the exceptions, sounding the alarm bells and seeking to enact legislation, but the vast many are just looking for that next small improvement in their own lives. A good example, a family member of mine is getting married soon. They have their gift registry on a very contemporary website that allows for sorting of category of gift, price range, and where to ship. It is the height of consumer convenience. I love the couple to death and of course bought them something that would be completely superfluous in less consumerism oriented world. And of course the vast majority of items listed were extravagances, not necessities. No, we humans will march to the brink of our deaths and extinction before we take any meaningful action to reduce production and consumption, but then we won't be able to take any action, the environment will have taken it for us. It will be too late and the only hope is that a more evolved incarnation of Human arises from the ashes of our collapse. But f*ck everything I just said. We could have enacted laws to cut CO2 emissions. But with one side of the political spectrum actively denying reality and actively working against any such regulations, they have f*cked us all.
Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 10 Jun 2021, 14:22:59

On the positive side the future will provide good theater, for those few who survive. :shock:
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 10 Jun 2021, 17:03:06

Newfie wrote:On the positive side the future will provide good theater, for those few who survive. :shock:

Yup. Thats the way I'm looking at it. Its like we're living in a giant disaster movie about climate change.....and the special effects are just grand! There's the awe and wonder of seeing how the planet adjusts to having a hotter and hotter climate. Glaciers melt! Forests burn! The oceans rise! The hurricanes and tornadoes are stronger then ever! The floods are wetter and the deserts are dryer. Its a really great movie! Except its real!

But there is some comic relief in this disaster move....there is the comedy of watching our political leaders lie and delay and misrepresent and pretend to be doing something when they are doing nothing.

And all our leaders find their own way to lie. Obama blew things up by derailing the binding Climate Treaty that was scheduled to be signed in Copenhagen in 2009, and then he compounded his error by replacing it with the meaningless Paris Accords, that actually mandate producing MORE CO2, all the while lying about he was going "to stop the seas from rising." Obama was truly a world class liar.

Then we had Trump who lied and said climate change was not happening. That was just a stupid lie. Trump was a stupid, arrogant liar. Obama totally outclassed Trump when it came to lying about climate change.

And now we've got Biden, and we're back to pretending we're doing something about climate change. Back in the phony Paris climate accords. Back to cancelling US oil pipeline projects (while supporting foreign pipeline projects like the one from Russian to Germany). Biden is pushing almost exactly the same kind of lies Obama did, but with a lot less class. And since Biden is such a senile old fool, its hard to even give him credit for his lying. Maybe Biden actually is so befuddled he does't even know what he is saying these days?

But it doesn't matter anyway.

The planet is on course to keep warming, and we can't do anything about it except enjoy the show. Get your popcorn!

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby evilgenius » Sun 13 Jun 2021, 13:50:50

Azothius wrote:
Is it Dissident who has pointed out a number of times that humans are not, as a general population, programed to think long term, but programmed to focus upon immediate needs and wants. Though one could argue that people might plan for their own retirement and their children's welfare after they are gone. So there is the ability to think long term, but it raises the point that humans are also not programmed to think of humanity's welfare as a whole. Which also raises the point that humans are not programmed to think of humanity's cumulative impact upon the earth, just one's own. Driving their SUVs and buying bottled water, yadda, yadda, yadda, they see only their infinitesimal impacts, not the cumulative impact of the US or the global population. The sad reality is that, as a general whole, humans are not enlightened enough to think about, or care about, the long term general welfare, nor are humans able to grasp the cumulative impact of millions of people making the same deleterious choices. There are, of course, the exceptions, sounding the alarm bells and seeking to enact legislation, but the vast many are just looking for that next small improvement in their own lives. A good example, a family member of mine is getting married soon. They have their gift registry on a very contemporary website that allows for sorting of category of gift, price range, and where to ship. It is the height of consumer convenience. I love the couple to death and of course bought them something that would be completely superfluous in less consumerism oriented world. And of course the vast majority of items listed were extravagances, not necessities. No, we humans will march to the brink of our deaths and extinction before we take any meaningful action to reduce production and consumption, but then we won't be able to take any action, the environment will have taken it for us. It will be too late and the only hope is that a more evolved incarnation of Human arises from the ashes of our collapse. But f*ck everything I just said. We could have enacted laws to cut CO2 emissions. But with one side of the political spectrum actively denying reality and actively working against any such regulations, they have f*cked us all.

That's an interesting way of putting it. So, does that mean that you think the effort will have to come from individuals? There is this argument that special individuals do most everything in terms of moving us along. At the same time, there is another argument that says that is bullshit, and the peloton can be expected to eventually pull everyone in. What you said made me think about those things all over again.
evilgenius
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sun 13 Jun 2021, 16:39:45

mousepad wrote:

Another option would be more war, more famine and of course more epidemic.
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate