Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Unread postby Plantagenet » Mon 03 May 2021, 11:49:03

Pops wrote:Looks like 20% of CA EV drivers are switching back to ICE because 120v charging at home sucks.

There are ways around that problem.

Both the Chinese and the Israelis have EVs that allow battery swaps....drive into a "gas" station, they swap in a new fully charged battery and off you go.

Chinese EV maker NIO offers free batter swap service for its EVs

Alternatively, the experimental solid state EV battery charge a lot faster....but they aren't in production yet.

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 05 May 2021, 21:24:24

Plantagenet wrote:
Pops wrote:Looks like 20% of CA EV drivers are switching back to ICE because 120v charging at home sucks.

There are ways around that problem.

Both the Chinese and the Israelis have EVs that allow battery swaps....drive into a "gas" station, they swap in a new fully charged battery and off you go.

Chinese EV maker NIO offers free batter swap service for its EVs

Alternatively, the experimental solid state EV battery charge a lot faster....but they aren't in production yet.

Cheers!

Looking at it the other way 80 percent of EV customers are sticking with their EV. There are few places in the USA that do not have 240 volts service so they are making up a problem that does not exist.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 06 May 2021, 21:44:23

Tesla just lost hundreds of millions of dollars each year

tesla-emissions-credits-ev-maker-set-to-lose-hundreds-of-millions

Tesla just barely makes a profit, and when it does make a profit it happens because Tesla's bitcoin investment went up, or because Tesla sold emissions credits to other car manufacturers.

Well....as other car companies bring out their own EVs, they no longer have to buy credits from Tesla. And the first domino has just fallen....FIAT-CHRYSLER will no longer be buying Tesla emission credits, costing Tesla hundreds of millions of dollars each year.

I predict more losses will follow as one by one, car companies bring out their own EVs and stop buying Tesla credits

The dominoes have started to fall.....companies are bringing out their own EVs and abrogating their deals to buy emissions credits from Tesla

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 07 May 2021, 01:53:04

"Nio to deliver EVs to Norway from September"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202105/1222821.shtml

"Chinese electric vehicle (EV) maker Nio on Thursday announced plans to sell cars in Norway, the first overseas destination in the global market exploration for the company. Nio is one of China's most prominent EV start-ups which is also considered a strong competitor to Tesla.

Nio will start delivering its electric sport utility vehicle ES8 in Norway from September, while another sedan model - ET7 - will be launched in 2022, said Nio CEO Li Bin at a press conference in Shanghai. Other Nio models will also enter Norway at later stages.

Nio has not set any sales target in Norway for the time being.

Li said that Norway's market is "neither too large nor too small", which the company considered an appropriate choice for its first overseas promotion. Norway's EV-friendly policies lure the brand to test the waters there."

The Chinese continue on their path to become a major global EV force. More at link.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! Tulsi Gabbard 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Fri 07 May 2021, 06:53:51

Plantagenet wrote:Tesla just lost hundreds of millions of dollars each year

Tesla just barely makes a profit, and when it does make a profit it happens because Tesla's bitcoin investment went up, or because Tesla sold emissions credits to other car manufacturers.

Well....as other car companies bring out their own EVs, they no longer have to buy credits from Tesla. And the first domino has just fallen....FIAT-CHRYSLER will no longer be buying Tesla emission credits, costing Tesla hundreds of millions of dollars each year.

I predict more losses will follow as one by one, car companies bring out their own EVs and stop buying Tesla credits

The dominoes have started to fall.....companies are bringing out their own EVs and abrogating their deals to buy emissions credits from Tesla

Cheers!

Tesla has known this would happen for years and is planning accordingly and building factories to ramp up their own production. Once built there will no longer be any need to sell credits to competitors. It is a race against time though and it remains to be seen if Tesla can come out the winner but people have lost a lot of money betting against Musk in the recent past.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 07 May 2021, 12:24:54

vtsnowedin wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Tesla just lost hundreds of millions of dollars each year

Cheers!

Tesla has known this would happen for years and is planning accordingly and building factories to ramp up their own production. Once built there will no longer be any need to sell credits to competitors. It is a race against time though and it remains to be seen if Tesla can come out the winner but people have lost a lot of money betting against Musk in the recent past.

Yes. To put it simply, Tesla will either reach the ability to make a profit selling EV's, without extra income from government credits, BTC trading, etc, or they won't.

OTOH, they now have a HUGE cash stockpile and a positive cash flow to work with now, and are greatly ramping up their ability to make more cars. (For build quality, parts supplies, service, etc, we'll have to see).

The Tesla bulls claim that real soon now (as they always claim), between volumes and improved battery tech, Tesla will have a LARGE cost advantage, and can both continue to scale up its volume, AND make consistently growing profits.

The Tesla bears disagree and point to rapidly growing competition by many makers with many BEV (and HEV and PHEV) models, and their advantages of experience, quality, scale, and profits from their ICE legacy business to fund their EV efforts in coming years. Oh, and that the competitors are doing plenty of work and research on improving battery tech. of their own.

Obviously, one side (or both) will prove to be wrong. That's what makes markets. It's a great show to watch though, and popcorn supplies abound.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 07 May 2021, 16:17:52

Outcast_Searcher wrote:The Tesla bulls claim that real soon now (as they always claim), between volumes and improved battery tech, Tesla will have a LARGE cost advantage...

That seems unlikely with regard to EVs made in China.

Wages are low in China and the Chinese government doesn't hesitate to spend billions to help Chinese industries out compete their foreign competition.

For instance, one of Tesla's largest markets is in Norway. And NIO ---the leading Chinese EV maker-----just announced that they will start selling EVs in Norway.

NIO EVs are already a LOT cheaper then TESLA EVs in China.

I think its highly unlikely that TESLA will have a cost advantage over NIO in Norway.

My prediction is the NIO EV will be priced significantly lower then a TESLA EV in Norway.

And as NIO enters other markets, my prediction is that Chinese EVs will be cheaper then TESLA EVs everywhere.

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 07 May 2021, 16:35:16

More bad news for TESLA in China.

There's a video of a TESLA slamming at high speed into the back of truck.....and Chinese media and social media is giving it heavy airplay.

That means the Chinese government continues to go after TESLA.

horrifying-footage-tesla-slamming-truck-china-instantly-killing-driver]

The video is crazy.....either the brakes didn't work or this is another time "autopilot" didn't see a truck.

The news report in the link above also says a leading car insurer in China has stopped insuring TESLAs...........

Thats very bad news for TESLA....if people can't get their TESLA's insured then that will really really hurt the market for TESLA sin China.

Bad....thats very very bad......

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 07 May 2021, 17:37:27

Plantagenet wrote:The video is crazy.....either the brakes didn't work or this is another time "autopilot" didn't see a truck.

Crazy is what your assumptions are.

First, Tesla Autopilot can't be set to speeds way higher than the legal speed limit. From watching the video, that Tesla was traveling 30 to 50 MPH higher than the speed limit -- much more like crazy human driving than something that is Tesla's fault, unless proven otherwise -- since an Active autopilot system wouldn't have allowed that kind of speed.

https://www.torquenews.com/video/does-t ... peed-limit

And have you seen teens drive? Or distracted drivers drive? Modern brake systems rarely suddenly fail.

I've been driving 45 years. I had ONE very old and rusty car fail completely re the brake system (master brake system major failure). Put my foot down to stop and NOTHING happened -- terrifying until you remember the emergency brake! But that was BEFORE the days of DUAL diagonal brake systems being the required standard. It might be one thing if the car didn't quite stop in time. But from the video, someone wasn't paying attention, given the odds that BOTH halves of a dual diagonal brake system would suddenly fail completely in a fairly new car.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.135

S5.4.1. Master cylinder reservoirs. A master cylinder shall have a reservoir compartment for each service brake subsystem serviced by the master cylinder. Loss of fluid from one compartment shall not result in a complete loss of brake fluid from another compartment.

But I know, you have a narrative to spin, and when you're in that mode, reasonableness goes right out the window.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Fri 07 May 2021, 19:01:02

Outcast_Searcher wrote:I've been driving 45 years. I had ONE very old and rusty car fail completely re the brake system (master brake system major failure). Put my foot down to stop and NOTHING happened -- terrifying until you remember the emergency brake! But that was BEFORE the days of DUAL diagonal brake systems being the required standard. It might be one thing if the car didn't quite stop in time. But from the video, someone wasn't paying attention, given the odds that BOTH halves of a dual diagonal brake system would suddenly fail completely in a fairly new car.

Dual brake systems are not enough to keep you out of trouble. I had a brake failure while trying to pass a logging truck on a fairly steep downhill. When traffic appeared at the corner at the bottom I hit the brakes but not much happened. What saved me is that my car had a manual transmission -- I quickly shifted to third gear and was easily able to slow down and get back behind the logging truck. The car still had some braking power and we were able to get to the next town and get the problem (a broken brake line) fixed. I'm kind of annoyed that very few vehicles now have a manual transmission option.
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 07 May 2021, 20:41:23

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:The video is crazy.....either the brakes didn't work or this is another time "autopilot" didn't see a truck.

Crazy is what your assumptions are.

First, Tesla Autopilot can't be set to speeds way higher than the legal speed limit. From watching the video, that Tesla was traveling 30 to 50 MPH higher than the speed limit -- much more like crazy human driving than something that is Tesla's fault, unless proven otherwise -- since an Active autopilot system wouldn't have allowed that kind of speed.

And crazy is your assumption that whatever Tesla says in a press release must be true.

There have been several examples of Teslas driving right into trucks while on Autopilot right here in the USA. Your ignorance of these facts doesn't change reality. Similarly. there are documented examples of Teslas doing things on Autopilot that Tesla claims it can't do......such as the recent Tesla crash in Texas where the car ran off the road and into a tree and killed two passengers while there was no one in the driver's seat....something Tesla also said couldn't happen.....until they checked their data and sure enough it did happen.

I really caution you against blindly trusting every claim and every press release released by a manufacturer, even one as beloved as Tesla. There are just so many cases where the system failed to operate as promised or the manufacturer wasn't telling the entire truth about the capability of their product.

In particular, TESLA and Elon Musk personally have come under severe criticism for overstating the capabilities of AUTOPILOT. But since you naively believe every bit of hype and everything that Tesla says, even when the facts show they haven't been entirely truthful, no doubt you are ignorant about this issue.

Outcast_Searcher wrote: Modern brake systems rarely suddenly fail.

Again, you are making a crazy and even bizarre comment on the Tesla collision with the truck. It is true that modern brake systems rare fail........but sometimes they do fail And that is a bad thing. And when a Tesla runs into the back of truck in China, one possible reason might be that the brakes failed.

I cant help but wonder why I have to explain such simple things to you. ????? :roll: :roll:

OK---did you get that part now about brakes rarely failing.....but that means that failures do occur? Got that? Understand that complicated idea now? Good. Then lets move on.

AND the Chinese government has been publicizing claims that Tesla brakes sometimes fail for the last couple of weeks, ever since a women climbed on top of a Tesla at the Shanghai auto show and started shouting about Tesla brake failures. She went viral on Chinese media. And no there is another crash by another Tesla that the Chinese government is publicizing that may involve brake failure.

The bottom line here is that its bad for Tesla to have video of one of their cars smashing into the back of truck playing over and over again on Chinese national media, complete with government paid newscasters bashing Tesla for having faulty brakes. I would think you could figure that out for yourself. But evidently not----so, I'm happy to explain it to you since you don't seem to grasp the significance of what is going on in China with regard to Tesla. I will now summarize the significance now for you in two words.....ITS BAD.

ANd I see you skipped over the new report that a major insurance company in China is now refusing to insure new Teslas on the ground that their brakes fail. You didn't understand that point either, I assume.

There are a lot of different ways China can apply pressure to Tesla.

And the Chinese government definitely is continuing their media attacks on Tesla with their coverage of this recent Tesla crash.

Do you get it now?

I guess not. Its just so ....unreasonable.....of you not to acknowledge obvious things like brakes sometimes fail, or TESLA AUTOPILOT has a lot issues or Chinese media is pushing the idea that TESLA has brake failure issues.

And, since you are being so unreasonable, please allow me to quote from your post above and turn your ad hom attack right back on you: ----- "I know you have a narrative to spin, and when you're in that mode, reasonableness goes right out the window."

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Energy Technology