Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 22

Re: Global Warming / Climate Changes Pt. 22

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 12:42:48

Alarming Rise in Global Temperatures

"The past six years have been the warmest on record since 1880, with 2016, 2019 and 2020 being the top three, according to a World Meteorological Organization (WMO) press release on 15 January. The year 2020 was 1.2°C above pre-industrial era (1880) temperatures."
StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020

Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 13:15:28

AdamB wrote:Alarming Rise in Global Temperatures

"The past six years have been the warmest on record since 1880, with 2016, 2019 and 2020 being the top three, according to a World Meteorological Organization (WMO) press release on 15 January. The year 2020 was 1.2°C above pre-industrial era (1880) temperatures."

California winters are so mild now that I really feel like that frog in a pot of water over the fire.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 15:47:18

JuanP wrote:"Worried about Earth's future? Well, the outlook is worse than even scientists can grasp"
https://phys.org/news/2021-01-earth-fut ... tists.html

But Gods willing Millennials will save us!

Right-wing populist leaders with anti-environment agendas are on the rise, and in many countries, environmental protest groups have been labeled "terrorists." Environmentalism has become weaponised as a political ideology, rather than properly viewed as a universal mode of self-preservation.

The authors couldn't help themselves and needed to inject partisan BS drivel. Maybe if those enviro-phony outfits like Greenpeace did not act as transparently partisan geopolitical hacks. For example staging PR stunts on Gazprom's Arctic platforms and totally ignoring the ones run by western corporations. Then you have the clowns in Germany who claim that Russian piped gas is dirtier than LNG. This one takes the cake for retarded propaganda. Since nowhere on the planet is LNG produced with renewable energy and is typically produced using 30% of the energy content of the gas delivered. Then you have all the infrastructure for LNG such as liquefaction plants and powered LNG tankers that all involve CO2 emissions. So these fraud greens are actually advocating well in excess of 30/70 x 100 = 43% more CO2 emissions just based on their realpolitik whoring.

Nope, hiding behind politics is not an intelligent decision by these authors.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 16:18:06

Yet that quote 'dissident' is entirely true and factual. I don't know about Greenpeace, but 'right-wing populists' is right-on. It is questionable which side that China's leaders are on, but that is besides the point if 'right-wing populist leaders' cannot set a proper example (which we know is meaningless to them unless they suddenly decide that the future DOES belong to them and they want to preserve it).
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 19:58:59

jedrider wrote: It is questionable which side that China's leaders are on

No its not. You just have to look at what they do and what they are doing is building large numbers of new coal-fired power plants and expanding their oil and gas drilling activities. China is far and away to the largest CO2 producer on the planet, and they are on track to increase their lead.

jedrider wrote: if 'right-wing populist leaders' cannot set a proper example ....

Thats nonsense. The US is now being run by left-wing Biden and the left-wing Ds. Its up to them to enact good policies and set a proper example ..... and instead we see Ds like John Kerry, our so-called climate czar, flying in his own personal private jet to Iceland to collect an environmental award. Of course private jets are incredibly wasteful....Kerry probably released more CO2 on that one trip then a typical American family would release in year.

John Kerry should be fired.....He is setting a TERRIBLE example for other Americans and the rest of the world. What a privileged hypocritical chmuck!

John Kerry is setting a TERRIBLE example....

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Azothius » Sun 14 Feb 2021, 13:20:37

this is only almost funny, but still had to share:

Ragnarok is Coming
Azothius
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby jedrider » Sat 13 Mar 2021, 00:22:09

So fascinating to discover all the ways that climate change works. Switch, now that word doesn't sound so harmless, however.

Zealandia Switch may be the missing link in understanding ice age climates
https://phys.org/news/2021-03-zealandia-link-ice-age-climates.html
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dissident » Sat 13 Mar 2021, 14:48:29

jedrider wrote:So fascinating to discover all the ways that climate change works. Switch, now that word doesn't sound so harmless, however.

Zealandia Switch may be the missing link in understanding ice age climates
https://phys.org/news/2021-03-zealandia-link-ice-age-climates.html

Very interesting. But the usual peddling of false dichotomy thinking. The "classical" view and the Zealandia switch are not mutually exclusive. Both compound to flip the climate regime. This tendency to pimp some new theory at the expense of the others is a problem with modern academia. There is a sliver bullet fetish where complex processes are ignored if some relatively simpler explanation can be pushed. The Zelandia switch is subject to the same nonsense. And in spite of what many think, Occam's razor has nothing to say here. Humans can't leave political behavioural pathology out of anything.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby jedrider » Tue 13 Apr 2021, 21:57:28

French winegrowers hit by rare frost brace for bleak harvest
https://www.rawstory.com/french-winegrowers-hit-by-rare-frost-brace-for-bleak-harvest/

Can such a phenomena kill an entire harvest? I'm worried now. I like wine.
jedrider
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Tanada » Tue 13 Apr 2021, 23:24:20

jedrider wrote:French winegrowers hit by rare frost brace for bleak harvest
https://www.rawstory.com/french-winegrowers-hit-by-rare-frost-brace-for-bleak-harvest/

Can such a phenomena kill an entire harvest? I'm worried now. I like wine.

It is a matter of delicate timing. If frost kills the flower buds when they are first stage of development many fruiting plants will start over and flower late as a result which has implications for pollination. If frost kills late stage flower buds of newly emerged flowers then many plants will simply not fruit or minimally fruit that year and will use the growing cycle to strengthen root systems and grow more robust with greater reserves using the energy that would have gone into forming fruit for other plant processes.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 14 Apr 2021, 00:29:37

"Global warming hitting Russia much harder than rest of world, experts warn, with temperatures rising faster than global average"
https://www.rt.com/russia/520892-global ... r-average/

"“It affects pipeline systems, residential districts built on permafrost, and so on,” Putin explained. “If as much as 25% of the near-surface layers of permafrost, which is about three or four meters, melt by 2100, we will feel the effect very strongly.”

Last year, Alexander Krutikov, the deputy minister of the Far East and the Arctic, claimed that climate change will cost Russia nine trillion rubles ($116bn) due to damage to buildings and infrastructure.

Later that year, an article published in the New York Times dubbed Russia as the country best positioned to “capitalize on climate change,” noting that melting permafrost would open up much more land for farming – something that could be of great benefit to the economy."
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! Tulsi Gabbard 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Wed 21 Apr 2021, 15:31:00

JuanP wrote:"Global warming hitting Russia much harder than rest of world, experts warn, with temperatures rising faster than global average"
https://www.rt.com/russia/520892-global ... r-average/

"“It affects pipeline systems, residential districts built on permafrost, and so on,” Putin explained. “If as much as 25% of the near-surface layers of permafrost, which is about three or four meters, melt by 2100, we will feel the effect very strongly.”

Last year, Alexander Krutikov, the deputy minister of the Far East and the Arctic, claimed that climate change will cost Russia nine trillion rubles ($116bn) due to damage to buildings and infrastructure.

Later that year, an article published in the New York Times dubbed Russia as the country best positioned to “capitalize on climate change,” noting that melting permafrost would open up much more land for farming – something that could be of great benefit to the economy."

The New York Times is composed of SJW idiots. Anyone with a clue about high latitude soils knows that they are not prime farmland grade. They may have a lot of carbon initially, but this carbon oxidizes and these soils blow away. They are peat type soils and not the chernozems valuable for agriculture. The growing season at high latitudes is never going to get longer regardless of warming. We see here the smug inanity of people who think that climate change will be a temporary inconvenience. That agricultural zones will just shift around and total production capacity will not decline due to global warming.

About the only benefit of high latitude warming is the opening up of the Arctic shipping route. In basically every other category there is economic loss. To be more clear, there may be transient improvements in agriculture as milder conditions set in, but in the long run there will be damage from shifting precipitation and increased wind and ironically rain damage.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby nocar » Wed 21 Apr 2021, 16:24:06

I live close to Stockholm, Sweden which lies 59 degrees north, quite similar to Anchorage, Alaska. I try to grow things in my garden, so I have learnt some things about soil and growing.

I Sweden there are pockets of quite good soil (used for agriculture for centuries to millenia), but most of land has been scraped bare by the glaciers of the iceage, so the layer of soil is thin and poor. There is where we have forests and bogs. In America there seem to be a great deal of attention to the date of the first frost in the fall. You rarely hear about that here, because things usually stop growing due to lack of sunlight well before the first frost. A few hours of low sun is not enough for most plants, like we get after the equinox in the fall.
But a warmer climate might make it easier to grow some things, because you can start earlier in the spring. So a warmer climate is not negative for agriculture around here,providing rainfall does not change much.
nocar
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 21 Apr 2021, 17:37:09

nocar wrote:I live close to Stockholm, Sweden which lies 59 degrees north, quite similar to Anchorage, Alaska. I try to grow things in my garden, so I have learnt some things about soil and growing.

I Sweden there are pockets of quite good soil (used for agriculture for centuries to millenia), but most of land has been scraped bare by the glaciers of the iceage, so the layer of soil is thin and poor. There is where we have forests and bogs. In America there seem to be a great deal of attention to the date of the first frost in the fall. You rarely hear about that here, because things usually stop growing due to lack of sunlight well before the first frost. A few hours of low sun is not enough for most plants, like we get after the equinox in the fall.
But a warmer climate might make it easier to grow some things, because you can start earlier in the spring. So a warmer climate is not negative for agriculture around here,providing rainfall does not change much.

You are right that some areas of the world may benefit from improved growing conditions due to global warming. I see the same thing happening here in Alaska where I live. Our growing season is getting longer and longer due to global warming in Alaska.

However, it appears that the huge agricultural regions in central Europe and the central US are being negatively affected by global warming, with some places seeing more flooding and more huge storms, while other places see more droughts.

So far, on a global basis, it appears the negative impacts on agriculture are greatly outweighing the positive impacts in places like Sweden and Alaska , where you and I live.

Pumpkins in Alaska......24 hours of daylight makes plants grow quickly in the summer.......

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dissident » Sun 25 Apr 2021, 14:32:59

Trotting out a giant pumpkin breed picture is inane. That 24 hours of sunlight lasts at best 2 months at the highest latitudes still with some land (e.g. 72 N). Warming is not going to make the subarctic into the middle latitudes no matter how much delusional thinking people want to engage in. The winters are still going to be cold and long and the summer is going to be essentially one month long.

The melting of the Arctic sea ice is not a latitude-specific warming feature. It is due largely to the transport of heat through ocean currents lasting year round. This ice melt is not associated with prime agriculture conditions. Morons who anticipate the high latitudes becoming prime agricultural zones need to wait until lethal temperatures destroy the lower latitude agricultural zones.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate