Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 03 Apr 2021, 19:36:22

Outcast_Searcher wrote:Do you have the right to issue judgements.....?

What is your problem?

I complimented you over and over for your effusive apologies after you made an inaccurate post.

And now you are complaining I don't have the "right" to judge your post---even though my judgement of your post was entirely positive.

You know, Outcast_Searcher....the mistake you are apologizing for came about because you didn't fully understanding what was being talked about.

And now, once again, you don't seem to understand that I am complimenting you....

Please go back and re-read my post that has you so wee-wee'd up and see if you can figure out what it means.

I'll even give you a hint:

HINT: MY POST IS COMPLIMENTING YOU FOR YOUR GRACIOUS APOLOGY!

Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 04 Apr 2021, 06:53:29

JuanP wrote:I will also add, just to confuse things even more, that in some other languages the definitions of billions and trillions are actually different, which makes this even harder for multilingual people. Un billón (which means one billion in Spanish) is 1.000.000.000.000. What English speaking people call a billion is called a thousand millions by most non English speakers of the world. And what English speakers call a trillion is called a billion by most non English speakers. We live in a truly f***ed up world!

The original definition of the word billion was one million squared or 1,000,000 * 1,000,000. The "bi" in billion stands for "to the second power" or "squared" in Latin. That is the same root word as the one used for binomial or binary, for example, in both cases the "bi" meaning 2, as in two terms and two numbers.

In the UK up until the the middle of the 20th century, one Billion was a million million, then with the strong US influence, the meaning changed to one thousand million.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby aadbrd » Sun 04 Apr 2021, 17:18:06

* cough * back on topic.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/gas-eng ... 00137.html

Get used to articles like these. They will become more common as the trendlines become more apparent.
aadbrd
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 04 Apr 2021, 20:43:16

Biden's new infrastructure bill contains 176 billion dollars for EVs.

There is money to subsidize new factories, new batteries, new charging stations, new EV purchases by consumers and more....

bidens-infrastructure-plan-would-push-for-electric-vehicles

Biden still won't support a carbon tax or any kind of punitive tax on ICE cars..

The Biden plan seems to be to subsidize EVs and the EV industry until EVs become so cheap and so attractive that people will voluntarily shift from ICE cars to EVs.

Me WANT cheap subsidized EVs! Me WANT! Me WANT!

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 08 Apr 2021, 21:59:27

Plantagenet wrote:Biden's new infrastructure bill contains 176 billion dollars for EVs.

There is money to subsidize new factories, new batteries, new charging stations, new EV purchases by consumers and more....

bidens-infrastructure-plan-would-push-for-electric-vehicles

Biden still won't support a carbon tax or any kind of punitive tax on ICE cars..

The Biden plan seems to be to subsidize EVs and the EV industry until EVs become so cheap and so attractive that people will voluntarily shift from ICE cars to EVs.

Me WANT cheap subsidized EVs! Me WANT! Me WANT!

Cheers!

For the left, if they can get away with it, it's ideal. They don't risk losing elections by raising gas taxes, yet can claim they did the "right" thing. Lucky for them, as happens so often with capitalism and technology, the BEV companies are doing the heavy lifting over time, and dramatically lowering the cost of BEV's, letting the dem's cowardice work, over time.

Of course, the GOP wants cheap gas, and to pay NONE of the MAJOR expenses re pollution, the military, AGW, etc. caused by burning gas and diesel in ICE's. Because, of course, that secures lots of votes from the big SUV / pickup driving right who doesn't believe in science, re things they don't want to hear.

Find a US politician, find a BS angle aimed at getting re-elected, vs. actually believing in something or being willing to do the right thing regardless of potential political consequences.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 08 Apr 2021, 22:01:49

aadbrd wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:Do YOU ever apologize for such mistakes you make...

Save yourself the stress and just use the ignore filter. He feeds on drama.

Good point. I keep trying to give certain folks more chances because they occasionally make good posts on certain subjects. But overall, likely not worth it, given the signal to noise ratio. Thanks for the input.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby JuanP » Sun 11 Apr 2021, 15:52:20

"Pandemic stricken French aviation sector laments move to slash carbon emissions by banning domestic flights."
https://www.rt.com/business/520730-fran ... c-flights/

"A draft bill won the support of the National Assembly on Saturday night, which would impose a complete ban on domestic flights on routes that can be serviced by trains in less than two-and-a-half hours.

The move is aimed at lowering carbon emissions and is part of a broader national agenda adopted to cut carbon emissions by 40% in 2030 from levels recorded in the 1990s."

This makes a lot of sense and could be copied by other countries that have extensive electric high speed rail service helping to reduce carbon emissions and accelarating the transition from an oil based to an electric transportation system.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! TRUMP 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 14 Apr 2021, 14:08:15

JuanP wrote:"Pandemic stricken French aviation sector laments move to slash carbon emissions by banning domestic flights."

"A draft bill won the support of the National Assembly on Saturday night, which would impose a complete ban on domestic flights on routes that can be serviced by trains in less than two-and-a-half hours.

The move is aimed at lowering carbon emissions and is part of a broader national agenda adopted to cut carbon emissions by 40% in 2030 from levels recorded in the 1990s."

This makes a lot of sense and could be copied by other countries that have extensive electric high speed rail service helping to reduce carbon emissions and accelarating the transition from an oil based to an electric transportation system.

Right. If there is an effective mass transit substitute, i.e. having the reliability and the capacity to handle it reasonably well, that makes sense.

Given security and the hassle of airports, anything under 2.5 hours or so might well be a net gain vs. a flight. And mass transit doesn't force an elderly or sickly person to drive a moderate distance.

Now, in the US or Russia or Canada, etc. -- any country of substantial size, they'd need to make this regional and/or have say, an effective and robust bullet train network to make it reasonable, given the in-country distances travel can often involve. Like in the US, business travel between the east and west coasts, for example.

I have trouble imagining the US committing to establish an effective relatively green ground mass transit network any time soon, but I can always hope I'm wrong. One issue, as always, will be paying for it, so I'd only want it as a taxpayer if the cost weren't prohibitive.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 14 Apr 2021, 21:40:33

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
JuanP wrote:" French aviation sector laments move to slash carbon emissions by banning domestic flights."

Right. If there is an effective mass transit substitute, i.e. having the reliability and the capacity to handle it reasonably well, that makes sense. ....Now, in the US or Russia or Canada, etc. -- any country of substantial size, they'd need to make this regional and/or have say, an effective and robust bullet train network to make it reasonable, given the in-country distances travel can often involve. Like in the US, business travel between the east and west coasts, for example.

This is exactly why I've been calling for HSR in the US for years now. Rail is, by far, the most efficient form of transportation. That means less CO2 emissions.

If Biden was serious about cutting US CO2 emissions, he'd be putting a lot more money into building out HSR passenger service and electric freight train and tram networks in the US.

But Biden isn't serious about CO2 reduction.

Like other Ds he says nice things about climate change, but his policies just aren't going to do enough to CO2 emissions in the US and around the world.

Electric High Speed trains and local electric trams are EVs too......

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 15 Apr 2021, 12:00:47

"The battle for electric cars in China is the most heated in the world"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/th ... d=msedgntp

Provides various links to Western MSM articles on the subject.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! TRUMP 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 18 Apr 2021, 22:51:29

Bizarre Tesla crash in Texas....there was no driver but the two passengers in the Tesla are dead due to a battery fire that couldn't be extinguished for four hours after the crash

two-people-killed-fiery-tesla-crash-no-driver

The police say that no one was in the driver's seat when the Tesla crashed and burst into flame, killing two.

--------------------

I thought there was some kind of AI in Teslas that required the driver to be in the driver's seat and periodically touching the steering wheel even when the Autopilot was engaged.

But maybe not.

Hey Tesla owners.....is it possible for a Tesla to go off driving by itself with no one in the driver's seat?

It took the fire department FOUR HOURS to extinguish the EV Battery fire after this latest Tesla crash....WOW!

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby yellowcanoe » Mon 19 Apr 2021, 11:19:03

I'm wondering how reliable electric airplanes are going to be. The electric airplane that is being designed in Israel has 900KwH of lithium-Ion batteries positioned in many different locations of the plane. If you get a battery fire in a car you can quickly stop and get out. A battery fire in an airplane is going to be a much more serious situation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eviation_Alice
yellowcanoe
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 20 Apr 2021, 07:04:45

yellowcanoe wrote:I'm wondering how reliable electric aeroplanes are going to be. The electric aeroplane that is being designed in Israel has 900KwH of lithium-Ion batteries positioned in many different locations of the plane. If you get a battery fire in a car you can quickly stop and get out. A battery fire in an aeroplane is going to be a much more serious situation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eviation_Alice

If you're 10,000 metres up the type of fuel the fire is using is mostly irrelevant, you're going to crash and burn regardless.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 20 Apr 2021, 18:13:29

Elon Musk is denying that "autopilot" was in use in the Tesla without a driver that crashed and burned in Texas, killing two.....Musk is claiming that car was NOT on autopilot.

elon-musk-autopilot-not-used-fatal-tesla-crash-texas

This raises the question of how a Tesla can be blasting down the highway without a driver and without autopilot being on.....is this even possible?

NHTSA is investigating this accident, so hopefully they'll be able to sort this out.

If Teslas can go speeding down the road without autopilot and without a driver, then what in heck is controlling them?

If there was no human driver, and no autopilot........then the car itself must have been driving! KA-CHOW!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 21 Apr 2021, 17:28:53

Video showing a woman standing on top of a Tesla at the Shanghai Auto Show and shouting that the brakes don't work on Teslas goes viral in China. The video ends with Tesla security men pulling the woman off the car and dragging her away, as all the while she shouts that the brakes don't work on Teslas

angry-tesla-owner-protests-on-car-shanghai-auto-show-

Nothing gets on Chinese state media or goes viral on Chinese social media if the Chinese government doesn't want it to go viral, so it appears the Chinese government is supportive of this video attacking Tesla.

AND this is exactly what I predicted.

Now that China has stolen all the technical secrets from the Tesla factory in China, the next step is to push Tesla out of china in order to boost a Chinese "national champion" in the EV market. China played this game with TGV...the French HSR manufacture, and now they have a domestic HSR industry. China played this game with the telecom industry in order to boost Huawei, which is now their national telecoms industry champion. And now China is doing it with Tesla.

First China came in hard on Tesla to enforce regulations. Then the Chinese govemrent claimed Tesla cars were "spies". Now there is this kerfuffle about Tesla brakes.

China is going to use regulations, social media, and government pressure to drive Tesla sales down in China so that a Chinese EV company can be nurtured to replace it.

Look for it.....

Chinese media is now giving heavy play to a video of a woman at the 2021 Shanghai auto show claiming Tesla's brakes don't work. Her T-shirt reads..."Brake Failure" with the Tesla logo underneath.

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 22 Apr 2021, 12:06:02

Chinese state media continues to blast Tesla

shaming-continues-china-says-tesla-blunder-can-be-lesson-other-foreign-companies]

AT some point these Chinese government attacks on Tesla are going to start hurting Tesla EV sales in China.

Which, of course, is exactly why the Chinese government is doing this to Tesla.

Its now the Chinese government vs. Tesla......so who's going to win this grudge match?

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 22 Apr 2021, 16:34:38

Consumer Reports has just blasted a hole in Tesla's claims about autopilot requiring a driver.

consumer-reports-says-tesla-model-ys-are-drivable-nobody-drivers-seat

Consumer Reports says Musk and Tesla have been making false claims about Autopilot. According the Consumer Reports its easy to make the car drive off with no on in the driver's seat.

Perhaps this is what happened in Texas last week, where the driverless Tesla crashed, the battery combusted for four straight hours, and two men sitting in the passenger seats died in the flames.

Tesla can fool some of the people some of the time but it can't fool Consumer Reports

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 22 Apr 2021, 20:32:43

The sooner every American corporation gets out of China including Hong Kong the better off they and the US will be. It is time we realized that this is an economic war and we need to stop aiding and abetting the enemy.
vtsnowedin
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby aadbrd » Fri 23 Apr 2021, 10:32:35

Our economy is hopelessly codependent with China. There is no way to sever that relationship without destroying both economies. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial. It's not ideal but it's reality.
aadbrd
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Energy Technology