Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Unread postby OutcastPhilosopher » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 17:22:49

StarvingLion wrote:
AdamB wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:PS: Some people even keep a generator in the trunk of their EVs at all times so when they run out of charge on the road, they just pull over to the side of the road and get out the generator and plug it in.

I've been EVing for 6 years now, and haven't ever seen someone with a generator in the back of theirs. Or using it to charge the EV.

Have you seen this much in Alaska?

Or can "some people" be defined as "none Planty has ever seen before but ain't the internet GREAT for finding one off examples!"?

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/te ... latestnews

Sell TSLA stock now. Its succeeding by cutting prices it cannot afford to do. IOW, going bankrupt.

Electric-vehicle pioneer Tesla cut the Model 3’s prices in Japan. That isn’t the first, or even the second time, that Tesla has cut vehicle prices.

Tesla is cutting prices repeatedly all over the world, spurring endless debate on what that means for the company’s profitability. But one thing is for sure: Lower prices from the EV leader will keep pressure on everyone else.

On Wednesday, the price of a Japanese base Model 3 is going down about 16% to roughly $40,000. A base Model 3 in the U.S. starts at about $31,000. The price of a higher-end Model 3 dropped by 24%. The Japanese Model 3s are likely coming from Tesla’s China plant, which has lower costs. Tesla didn’t respond to a request for comment about vehicle sourcing or price cuts.

GLJ analyst Gordon Johnson has accumulated a list of 13 Tesla price cuts so far in 2021, covering multiple models in Japan, China, the U.S., Germany, and France. Tesla is able to cut prices because its costs are coming down.

In addition to the Model 3s in Japan, Tesla also just cut the price of Model 3 and Model Y in the U.S. by about 3% and 5%, respectively. In January, Tesla reduced the price of a Model 3 made in China by about 19%. Two versions of the Chinese built Model Y came down by an average of 28%.

January also saw Tesla lower the price of three Model 3 versions sold in France and Germany by about 8% on average.

Hey starving,

Check this out:

https://www.tesladeaths.com/

There is one from 24FEB2020 where the TESLA drove off a cliff LOL
The hand that gives is above the hand that takes
OutcastPhilosopher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 21:52:58

StarvingLion wrote:Electric-vehicle pioneer Tesla cut the Model 3’s prices in Japan. That isn’t the first, or even the second time, that Tesla has cut vehicle prices.

Get yourself one, and stop whining about liquid fuel prices. Silly PuutyTat.
Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.

StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 22:37:28

AdamB wrote:
StarvingLion wrote:Electric-vehicle pioneer Tesla cut the Model 3’s prices in Japan. That isn’t the first, or even the second time, that Tesla has cut vehicle prices.

It costs $900 to fully charge a Tesla in Texas at this very moment.

Thats how divorced you are from reality.
I'M GETTING RID OF ALL MY FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES FOR PHYSICAL SILVER
StarvingLion
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 22:51:48

StarvingLion wrote:
AdamB wrote:

Maybe that's what your "bend over and enjoy it" government might require you to be charged. No such requirement by mine.

StarvingLion wrote:Thats how divorced you are from reality.

See my signline for who is divorced from reality, as opposed to who charges EVs on a daily basis. Plus...see my sigline for the value of what you say. According to you no less, such is the beauty of nutters making claims they can't back up. In this case, only a Canuck, but I'd feel put upon as well. Edmonton...geez....

StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 22:58:24

AdamB wrote:
StarvingLion wrote:
AdamB wrote:

Maybe that's what your "bend over and enjoy it" government might require you to be charged. No such requirement by mine.

StarvingLion wrote:Thats how divorced you are from reality.

See my signline for who is divorced from reality, as opposed to who charges EVs on a daily basis. Plus...see my sigline for the value of what you say. According to you no less, such is the beauty of nutters making claims they can't back up. In this case, only a Canuck, but I'd feel put upon as well. Edmonton...geez....

TSLA stock is about to do an EHang (symbol: EH) for the past 3 days. Down 70%, Up 70%, Down 22%. If TSLA drops below 700 its going to FREEFALL. I bet it goes all the way down to 300 in the next 2 weeks.
StarvingLion
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 19 Feb 2021, 14:45:14

StarvingLion wrote: I bet it goes all the way down to 300 in the next 2 weeks.

Who cares what you bet. As you yourself have told us, you have no credibility.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 19 Feb 2021, 17:56:30

OutcastPhilosopher wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Some people even keep a generator in the trunk of their EVs at all times so when they run out of charge on the road, they just pull over to the side of the road and get out the generator and plug it in.

I've been EVing for 6 years now, and haven't ever seen someone with a generator in the back of theirs. Or using it to charge the EV.

Hello OutcastP

I posted a picture of this very thing in the same post where I made this statement. The photo I posted showed someone pulled off to the side of the road charging their EV with a generator. How did you miss it----are you perhaps blind?

If you are blind and using the brail version of peak oil.com then that would explain why you didn't see the picture of a car pulled off to the side of the road charging their EV with a generator that I placed in my post.

Well, just in case you are blind let me assure you that have my greatest sympathies and that there was visual evidence to back up what I said right there in my post.

And if you aren't blind then.....well......how to explain the fact that you can't see things that are right in front of you?

Perhaps your vision is degenerating and you can't see just certain areas in your field of vision?

Because clearly you didn't see or understand my post. So there is something wrong there.....

Once again, may I offer you my sympathies, and may I suggest----no offense----- that you might want to have your vision checked out?

Now I'm worried about you, OutcastP........may I suggest you consider getting that vision thing checked out?......

IN any case, no matter what your problem is, please considering slowing down and trying to read more carefully because you are clearly not seeing everything that is right in front of you, and when you start ranting about something not being in a post that actually was in the post its clear you didn't see and didn't understand the post. I'm going to worry now that you are having vision problems, and that wouldn't be good.

If you don't believe me, go back and look at the post you are attacking....the picture of a an EV being charged beside the road is right there in my post...you can't miss it......unless you've got some kind of visual and/or comprehension problem.

Again, perhaps this is a blessing. Now that we know you have a vision problem perhaps you should check this out with your local ophthalmologist ........sometimes its helpful to catch a problem before it gets worse.

Have a great day and Cheers!
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby StarvingLion » Fri 19 Feb 2021, 18:20:37

AdamB wrote:
StarvingLion wrote: I bet it goes all the way down to 300 in the next 2 weeks.

Who cares what you bet. As you yourself have told us, you have no credibility.

So much for "saving" "money" with renewable JUNK.

https://www.wnd.com/2021/02/texas-freez ... tesla-900/
(OIL PRICE) – The electricity shortage in Texas amid the cold snap has sent spot electricity prices soaring so much that the surge in power prices equals a cost of $900 for charging a Tesla.

The typical full charge of a Tesla costs around $18 using a Level 1 or Level 2 charger at home, according to estimates from The Drive. This estimate is based on an average price of $0.14 per kWh of power.

However, the extreme winter weather this week has sent Texas spot electricity prices soaring, as the wind turbines froze in the ice storms and reduced the wind power generating capacity in the Lone Star State by half. Spot electricity prices at the West hub have soared above the grid’s $9,000 per megawatt-hour cap, compared to a ‘normal’ price of $25 per megawatt-hour, FOX Business notes
StarvingLion
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Fri 19 Feb 2021, 20:19:33

Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:

I posted a picture of this very thing in the same post where I made this statement. The photo I posted showed someone pulled off to the side of the road charging their EV with a generator. How did you miss it----are you perhaps blind?

I missed nothing, but you did, pretending I was OP. I asked a question....I haven't ever seen someone carrying a generator around, have you? In Alaska, or any of your CO2 emitting travels elsewhere? Anyone can find any exceptional example on the internet, with quite some experience with EVs now, I haven't seen it once. So....have you?

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby aadbrd » Sat 20 Feb 2021, 14:28:47

AdamB wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:
AdamB wrote:

I missed nothing, but you did, pretending I was OP. I asked a question....I haven't ever seen someone carrying a generator around, have you? In Alaska, or any of your CO2 emitting travels elsewhere? Anyone can find any exceptional example on the internet, with quite some experience with EVs now, I haven't seen it once. So....have you?

Is there a debate to be had here or is this going to just be endless whack-a-mole with those who are only interested in FUD?
aadbrd
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 20 Feb 2021, 15:05:41

Plantagenet wrote:
PS: Vtsnowedin----if I'm doing the math right, then you own one share of TSLA----is that right?

IF so then you have one of the largest profits ever on a single share of stock---congratulations!.

Well close I put $500 down by the slice so bought 0.823 shares at $606.90 which is now worth $643 or up 28%. Not near as good as the Moderna stock I bought back on Sept 1 at $63.27 a share that has been as high as $180 and closed Friday at $174.74 which is a gain of 176.18%.
If I could do that on a regular basis I would be a genuine player. :lol:
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 20 Feb 2021, 19:49:23

vtsnowedin wrote:I put $500 down by the slice so bought 0.823 shares at $606.90 which is now worth $643 or up 28%. Not near as good as the Moderna stock I bought back on Sept 1 at $63.27 a share that has been as high as $180 and closed Friday at $174.74 which is a gain of 176.18%.
If I could do that on a regular basis I would be a genuine player. :lol:

Thats darn good stock picking.......congratulations!

Its very hard to pick and buy stocks that are going to go up.

But sometimes its even harder to sell stocks and take a profit before they go back down again.

IMHO your Moderna stock still has room to run, but I'd keep an eye on the TSLA.....TSLA is facing a lot of new competition from VW, GM, NIO and practically every other major car manufacturer and a slew of new start-ups. AND the battery technology TSLA relies upon is getting to be old-hat and may be superseded by the new "solid state" EV battery technology, or even by something totally new like blue hydrogen fuel cell technology.

But definitely a good job so far! CONGRATS!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 20 Feb 2021, 20:02:19

Yes I plan on holding the Moderna stock for years as their technology has applications way beyond just this pandemic. I would not be surprised to see it gain better then 25% a year for several years.
Tesla is not much better then a lottery ticket, More chances of losing then the slim chance of winning. I'll let my $500 bet ride but have better things to invest in with any new cash that comes to hand.
Actually one of my best picks this year has been Exxon which is up 38% from where I bought it and pays a 6.65% dividend if you buy it at today's price. I plan to buy more of it as cash flow permits.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 20 Feb 2021, 20:08:47

vtsnowedin wrote:Yes I plan on holding the Moderna stock for years as their technology has applications way beyond just this pandemic. I would not be surprised to see it gain better then 25% a year for several years.
Tesla is not much better then a lottery ticket, More chances of losing then the slim chance of winning. I'll let my $500 bet ride but have better things to invest in with any new cash that comes to hand.
Actually one of my best picks this year has been Exxon which is up 38% from where I bought it and pays a 6.65% dividend if you buy it at today's price. I plan to buy more of it as cash flow permits.

Maybe you should start a stock-picking newsletter----you're picking some good ones.

I agree 100% with your comments on Moderna and TSLA. I mainly buy ETFs now instead of stocks, and I've got some Moderna and TSLA through ETF funds

The only oil-related stock I have is Schlumberger....and its up 50% from where I bought it.

I've really had a lot of fun watching my ETFs and stocks go up over the last year.....but I'm cautious right now because everything has gone up so much from where I bought it.

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sat 20 Feb 2021, 21:22:48

Plantagenet wrote:
Maybe you should start a stock-picking newsletter----you're picking some good ones.

Beginners luck I am sure and even the big players regress to the mean over time so I will stay humble and keep my own council.

I agree 100% with your comments on Moderna and TSLA. I mainly buy ETFs now instead of stocks, and I've got some Moderna and TSLA through ETF funds

The only oil-related stock I have is Schlumberger....and its up 50% from where I bought it.

I've really had a lot of fun watching my ETFs and stocks go up over the last year.....but I'm cautious right now because everything has gone up so much from where I bought it.

Cheers!

I have become convinced that whole market index funds with low cost and turnover are the most profitable way for little guys like myself to come out ahead. I have a 401k totally invested in one that tracks the whole market and one other that tracks the Nasdaq.
The other investments where I pick individual stocks based on the news are a side line or hobby and I am careful to not put in any money I can't afford to lose. Watching your index fund is like watching paint dry. Productive but not exciting.
Looking today on who will reap a windfall with the Texas deep freeze. Generac and DuPont have shown up so far.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 01:51:14

vtsnowedin wrote: Looking today on who will reap a windfall with the Texas deep freeze. Generac and DuPont have shown up so far.

Thats a great idea----Like I said, you've got great ideas. You're doing better then some stock newsletters.

My most recent purchase is shares in an ETF that tracks an index of ca. 30 high-tech companies in the travel biz.....like Expedia and Uber and Booking.com etc. My thought is .....the virus is over for now.......so everybody's gonna start traveling again.......I'm up about 10% in the last week, so I can't complain so far.

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 09:21:35

Plantagenet wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: Looking today on who will reap a windfall with the Texas deep freeze. Generac and DuPont have shown up so far.

Thats a great idea----Like I said, you've got great ideas. You're doing better then some stock newsletters.

My most recent purchase is shares in an ETF that tracks an index of ca. 30 high-tech companies in the travel biz.....like Expedia and Uber and Booking.com etc. My thought is .....the virus is over for now.......so everybody's gonna start traveling again.......I'm up about 10% in the last week, so I can't complain so far.

Cheers!
Yes the travel industry will certainly have an upswing this summer and beyond but it is so obvious some of that growth has already been priced into the stocks. I thought months ago that "Check you bags and get your shot" would become a thing moving to "present your vaccine card before boarding" and now the rest of the world is considering just those things.
back to Texas for a moment. I went looking for who makes Pex water pipe in the US and found that much of the supply is from small privately held companies like Charman manufacturing and NIBCO. The one exception is Rexnord corp. (RXN) which owns Zern their plumbing products division.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby aadbrd » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 09:57:24

Plantagenet wrote:the virus is over for now

Um, no. Getting better, but not over, especially given the risk-factor of variants.
aadbrd
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 22:00:54

aadbrd wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:the virus is over for now

Um, no. Getting better, but not over, especially given the risk-factor of variants.

Actually getting Much much better with case loads dropping like a lead brick. The vaccine producers are already working on booster shots to defeat the variants and barring bureaucratic interference will be able to keep ahead of them.
Of course the media can't bring you any good news so expect doom and gloom on the subject for months yet. Unless of course a war breaks out somewhere and then Covid will pass into history overnight like magic. If it bleeds it leads!
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby aadbrd » Wed 03 Mar 2021, 23:13:05

Back on topic.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/3/22311 ... les-planes

I expect many more moves like this in the next few years. Momentum seems to be picking up.
aadbrd
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology