Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Electric Vehicle (EV) Thread pt 11

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 12:55:01

vtsnowedin wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Tesla bought 1.5 billion in BITCOIN today.

tesla-bitcoin-china-rumor

And after the announcement that he had completed that purchase Bitcoin rose fifteen percent today netting Tesla $225 million in a single day. Nice work if you can get it.

He'll probably quietly sell it all off over the next few weeks, wait for the next "blow out" then buy in again at the bottom and announce the purchase, rinse & repeat.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 13:47:04

dolanbaker wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

And after the announcement that he had completed that purchase Bitcoin rose fifteen percent today netting Tesla $225 million in a single day. Nice work if you can get it.

He'll probably quietly sell it all off over the next few weeks, wait for the next "blow out" then buy in again at the bottom and announce the purchase, rinse & repeat.

Precisely.

Musk knew he could manipulate the market for Bitcoin just by announcing Tesla had bought some......but when you read the fine print he started buying maybe a month ago.

No doubt when Tesla sells they'll announce it a month later as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla winds up making more money from Bitcoin then it does from building TESLAs.

Meanwhile, the CCP is China has stated harassing the TESLA factory there. China now has its own EV maker----NIO-----and now the Chinese government will turn the screws on the TESLA factory so that Tesla production slows to a crawl while NIO EV sales in China grow and grow.

Cheers!
Last edited by Plantagenet on Tue 09 Feb 2021, 15:45:01, edited 1 time in total.
250 million thousand people have died of covid---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama

-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dolanbaker » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 15:27:51

China has multiple EV manufacturers in the country, the squeeze on forein companies is nothing new once they have had all their "knowledge" drained. Tesla will eventually get pushed out and the factory taken over by Chinese management.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Hungrymoggy "I am now predicting that Europe will NUKE ITSELF sometime in the first week of January"
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 17:32:14

dolanbaker wrote:China has multiple EV manufacturers in the country, the squeeze on forein companies is nothing new once they have had all their "knowledge" drained. Tesla will eventually get pushed out and the factory taken over by Chinese management.

That's certainly what a lot of Tesla bears think.

India tried something similar with IBM in 1977. So IBM said fine, dismantled its equipment, packed up and left, leaving India with empty buildings and no income from IBM.

Not so great a deal if you're India, and tens of millions of impoverished is your main accomplishment.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/11/16/arch ... other.html

And as a capitalist, I stand 100% behind IBM on this one, even though I just laugh at them for how they totally screwed up the company starting with the Lou Gerstner era, and think they deserve it as they now slowly fade away like an old man.

Now, whether Tesla is smart enough to have safeguards in place so China can't suddenly steal all their documentation, patent information, etc. is another question.

But I'm not so sure China will go that route, AS LONG AS, Tesla is paying PLENTY of taxes to China, and living within Chinese consumer law (recent stories say Tesla is having some problems in that area).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 17:38:42

dolanbaker wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

So you think Musk is a great market timer? Evidence?

Disclosure: I'm still not convinced that Bitcoin et al is the road to riches, though CLEARLY younger adults are often wildly enthusiastic re that belief, and convinced their .2 or whatever bitcoins will make them wildly rich. But at least the ARK Invest folks make a case for BITC that isn't completely laughable, based on the value of being early, and the idea that networks are most valuable if widely used.

Observation: If there's anything that defines irony, it's the general young adult frequent cluelessness about math and sanity checking results that defines the word "irony" for me in the modern "science based" world, as conspiracy theories spread on the internet (based on science) more widely than ever before.

If there are modern super-human mythical sky creatures for real (call them God, the devil, or both), surely they MUST be laughing their ASSES off at the state of what passes for modern human "intelligence", given our access to science knowledge, which largely is ignored by the masses. (And I know, they wouldn't likely HAVE asses, but it is an appropriate turn of phrase).
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 17:57:42

Outcast_Searcher wrote:So you think Musk is a great market timer? Evidence?

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the cryptocurrency markets.

In the last month Musk had Tesla secretly buy 1.5 billion in Bitcoin....then he announced the buy and Bitcoin and Tesla both went up so much that musk is now personally ahead now by one billion dollars.

Musk making a billion dollar paper profit in a month through market timing is pretty good evidence that Musk is darn good at market timing, don't you think?

meme-economy-tesla-elon-musk-up-a-billion

Musk is considered such a market genius by some that there is actually a website dedicated solely to tracking Elon's tweets for investors.

Elon Musk.....the man.......the tweeter.......the meme

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 18:06:41

Plantagenet wrote:
Outcast_Searcher wrote:So you think Musk is a great market timer? Evidence?

Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the cryptocurrency markets.

In the last month Musk had Tesla secretly buy 1.5 billion in Bitcoin....then he announced the buy and Bitcoin and Tesla both went up so much that musk is now personally ahead now by one billion dollars.

Musk making a billion dollar paper profit in a month through market timing is pretty good evidence that Musk is darn good at market timing, don't you think?

meme-economy-tesla-elon-musk-up-a-billion

Musk is considered such a market genius by some that there is actually a website dedicated solely to tracking Elon's tweets for investors.

Elon Musk.....the man.......the tweeter.......the meme

Cheers!

You wouldn't know credible evidence vs. nonsense if it bonked you on the head. Still peddling that EV's cause cancer even though science says non-ionizing radiation doesn't cause cancer? Still posting zerohedge links as though it's a credible site (with a track record of roughly zero)? Still posting wildly distorted far right posts as though they're reality?

When you're ready to grow up and use credible sources, be sure and get back to us. :roll:

Do you even realize that in the real world, your link didn't say much less show that Musk bought the BTC ahead of time? :idea:

You DO know that what you imagine could be true isn't proven true? At least outside insane asylums, right?
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Plantagenet » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 18:20:37

Outcast_Searcher wrote:You wouldn't know credible evidence vs. nonsense if it bonked you on the head.

Its clearly nonsensical that you won't admit that Elon Musk buying into Bitcoin right before it blasted higher and having his net worth go up one billion dollars in just a month is pretty darn good market timing.

But for some reason you can't admit what is obvious......you were wrong.

So you were wrong. So what?

Everybody makes mistakes occasionally.

Today it happened to be you.

But by not admitting you were wrong, which is no big deal, you appear to be dishonest, which is a somewhat bigger deal.

So I'll give you another chance to admit you were wrong.

Just be honest and admit that Elon Musk making a billion dollars in a month on a cryptocurrency purchase is pretty darn good market timing.

How about it?

AND Have a great day!

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 10 Feb 2021, 08:36:09

Was that great market timing or just good old fashioned market manipulation?
He now has a company that's stock sells for 1357 times earnings holding a couple of billion of a crypto currency which has no real value and may well go back down to zero.
Two very big bubbles with very thin skins.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby aadbrd » Wed 10 Feb 2021, 12:51:06

vtsnowedin wrote:Was that great market timing or just good old fashioned market manipulation?
He now has a company that's stock sells for 1357 times earnings holding a couple of billion of a crypto currency which has no real value and may well go back down to zero.

Also consider Elon already ran afoul of the SEC once. Anyone messing around with Tesla is really engaging in high stakes gambling.
aadbrd
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Wed 10 Feb 2021, 15:57:58

aadbrd wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:Was that great market timing or just good old fashioned market manipulation?

Also consider Elon already ran afoul of the SEC once. Anyone messing around with Tesla is really engaging in high stakes gambling.

I only bet $500 on Tesla and that is now going for $814 so my stake is pretty small. I would not be shocked to see Tesla turn south as it is about the highest risk stock I own and probably one of the riskiest stocks on the market.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 10 Feb 2021, 16:42:44

If the SEC doesn't charge Musk with market manipulation then legally it wasn't market manipulation (even though it might seem a lot like it).

vtsnowedin wrote: He [Musk] now has a company that's stock sells for 1357 times earnings holding a couple of billion of a crypto currency which has no real value and may well go back down to zero.

Exactly right.

There are a myriad of reasons not be long on Tesla right now.

On the other hand, Tesla stock keeps going up to ever higher and more absurd valuations so its got the big MO----MOMENTUM.

Cheers!

PS: Vtsnowedin----if I'm doing the math right, then you own one share of TSLA----is that right?

IF so then you have one of the largest profits ever on a single share of stock---congratulations!.

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 00:28:28

I would not be shocked to see Tesla turn south as it is about the highest risk stock I own and probably one of the riskiest stocks on the market.

Actually, its just the opposite if you believe the picture below is accurate. That is a graphic display of my thesis called the Oil Apocalypse which crushes civilization by 2023. In that case, the stock market has nothing else to offer at all. Its all Tesla. And the market cap could easily hit 30 trillion. That puts the stock at 30,000. Lets be honest about the purpose of the killer vaccines. Its the equivalent of the poison koolaid used at Jonestown. Elon Musk is the Reverend Jim Jones. Ev's are wooden shacks in the jungle. IF TSLA crashes and burns then you know Its Koolaid (the bad vaccination) Time. Thats all this shit country has left: EV religion. Its everywhere. Stampedes that crush 1000's of shitheads to get them. It will be like the chaos in '75 Saigon. Instead of getting on the roof to a helicopter...people will be hijacking trucks and stopping trains to get EV's.

I'M GETTING RID OF ALL MY FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES FOR PHYSICAL SILVER
StarvingLion
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 19:54:30

StarvingLion wrote: That is a graphic display of my thesis called the Oil Apocalypse which crushes civilization by 2023.

Prove you put more thought into this one, than your last doom fantasy league scenario, the one that cost you all your credibility. Have you figured out how money went from worthless 4 years ago, to worth something, to then become worth less? Or is battling your own prior claims and lack of credibility proving difficult? So all you can do is rinse, recycle, repeat?
Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.

StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 17 Feb 2021, 17:47:52

The electricity is out in Texas and that means people can't charge their Tesla's and other EVs. Anyone who doesn't own an ICE car is facing big problems, because if all they have is an EV and they can't get it charged then they are basically stuck in their frozen-up homes.

texas-freeze-raises-cost-charging-tesla-$900

And when electricity is available it is very pricy. By one estimate it could cost approximately $900 to charge up a Tesla for a drive, based on current "spot prices" for electricity in Texas.

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby aadbrd » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 00:45:30

The cold snap in Texas is a result of climate change.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... into-texas

So retreating back to fossil fuels isn't so smart.

BTW, a fully charged EV with V2G would be able to power a household for a while during a power outage. As it is, a fully charged EV can at least keep its occupants warm and cell phones charged for a very long time with no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
aadbrd
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 09:31:30

If my Tesla was dead empty and the power was out ,And the solar panels not working, I could fire up my 5KW contractors generator and give it a full charge in 15 hours. The Honda motor on the generator burns about a gallon per hour so about $50 using premium gas. Worst case scenario I see as possible.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 14:17:18

vtsnowedin wrote:If my Tesla was dead empty and the power was out ,And the solar panels not working, I could fire up my 5KW contractors generator and give it a full charge in 15 hours. The Honda motor on the generator burns about a gallon per hour so about $50 using premium gas. Worst case scenario I see as possible.

Well, you're all set.

However, not everyone in Texas has a 5KW contractors generator.

This same situation happened in northern California last summer where the huge fires wound up taking down part of the power grid, and then PG&E turned off parts of the rest to avoid starting more fires. People who had EVs were just out of luck-----they couldn't charge the EV.

And when there's a crisis like the freeze-up in Texas or the burn-up in California, people need to go places to get food, blankets, fresh water etc. to survive the crisis.

Cheers!

PS: Some people even keep a generator in the trunk of their EVs at all times so when they run out of charge on the road, they just pull over to the side of the road and get out the generator and plug it in.

What does this guy do to pass the time while the generator charges his Tesla on the side of the road? Its going take him 8-12 hours to get it charged?!!!

Cheers!

Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby AdamB » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 14:50:34

Plantagenet wrote:PS: Some people even keep a generator in the trunk of their EVs at all times so when they run out of charge on the road, they just pull over to the side of the road and get out the generator and plug it in.

I've been EVing for 6 years now, and haven't ever seen someone with a generator in the back of theirs. Or using it to charge the EV.

Have you seen this much in Alaska?

Or can "some people" be defined as "none Planty has ever seen before but ain't the internet GREAT for finding one off examples!"?
Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.

StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby StarvingLion » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 16:15:37

AdamB wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:PS: Some people even keep a generator in the trunk of their EVs at all times so when they run out of charge on the road, they just pull over to the side of the road and get out the generator and plug it in.

I've been EVing for 6 years now, and haven't ever seen someone with a generator in the back of theirs. Or using it to charge the EV.

Have you seen this much in Alaska?

Or can "some people" be defined as "none Planty has ever seen before but ain't the internet GREAT for finding one off examples!"?

https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/te ... latestnews

Sell TSLA stock now. Its succeeding by cutting prices it cannot afford to do. IOW, going bankrupt.

Electric-vehicle pioneer Tesla cut the Model 3’s prices in Japan. That isn’t the first, or even the second time, that Tesla has cut vehicle prices.

Tesla is cutting prices repeatedly all over the world, spurring endless debate on what that means for the company’s profitability. But one thing is for sure: Lower prices from the EV leader will keep pressure on everyone else.

On Wednesday, the price of a Japanese base Model 3 is going down about 16% to roughly $40,000. A base Model 3 in the U.S. starts at about $31,000. The price of a higher-end Model 3 dropped by 24%. The Japanese Model 3s are likely coming from Tesla’s China plant, which has lower costs. Tesla didn’t respond to a request for comment about vehicle sourcing or price cuts.

GLJ analyst Gordon Johnson has accumulated a list of 13 Tesla price cuts so far in 2021, covering multiple models in Japan, China, the U.S., Germany, and France. Tesla is able to cut prices because its costs are coming down.

In addition to the Model 3s in Japan, Tesla also just cut the price of Model 3 and Model Y in the U.S. by about 3% and 5%, respectively. In January, Tesla reduced the price of a Model 3 made in China by about 19%. Two versions of the Chinese built Model Y came down by an average of 28%.

January also saw Tesla lower the price of three Model 3 versions sold in France and Germany by about 8% on average.
I'M GETTING RID OF ALL MY FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES FOR PHYSICAL SILVER
StarvingLion
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

PreviousNext

Return to Energy Technology