Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: THE Gasoline Price Thread Pt. 5

Unread postby Subjectivist » Thu 28 Jan 2021, 21:21:54

Toledo is about half and half, you can still find $2.299/gal in some outlets but as of this morning many have switched over to the $2.429-$2.459/gal range which is a heck of an overnight jump. Did someone blow up a tanker and I just missed it on the news?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 06 Feb 2021, 11:39:11

Running about $2.20/gallon locally. More expensive in the mountain areas. Haven't bought any recently of course, 2 weeks of EV use has unchained me from the pump prices as it were.
Mustang19 says: Mods, I am just here to troll the trolls. I mean no harm.

StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 06 Feb 2021, 20:33:39

Subjectivist wrote:Toledo is about half and half, you can still find $2.299/gal in some outlets but as of this morning many have switched over to the $2.429-$2.459/gal range which is a heck of an overnight jump. Did someone blow up a tanker and I just missed it on the news?

WTI was sticking stubbornly near $53 for weeks. Now, it's suddenly jumped up $4. Gasoline consumers might emotionally expect (or insist) that the price remain the same as that's what THEY want. However, the replacement cost to those who deliver it change rather quickly, and what they charge will reflect real world prices.

https://oilprice.com/oil-price-charts/

Same as it ever was.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby OutcastPhilosopher » Sun 07 Feb 2021, 19:33:54

Gas has been increasing in my area for the last two months.

It is up nearly 75 cents in some parts.
The hand that gives is above the hand that takes
OutcastPhilosopher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 07 Feb 2021, 19:35:58

OutcastPhilosopher wrote:Gas has been increasing in my area for the last two months.

It is up nearly 75 cents in some parts.

And what crappy place do you live where they take such advantage of the peasants? Have you considered an EV to alleviate the cost of liquid fuels?

StarvingPuutyTat says: I'm so confident in my TOTAL COLLAPSE is IMMINENT prediction that I stake my entire reputation on it. It will happen this year. - Aug 3-2020
AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby Pops » Mon 08 Feb 2021, 09:58:53

I haven't noticed prices rising much in SW MO, unleaded prolly around $2.10 — but I don't pay much attention, go very much. Google says nat'l avg is $2.46 so that is about right, MO only believes taxes are good for Californians, LOL, fuel here is very cheap.

I still have a big old f250 7.3L turbo diesel 6spd 4x4 long bed supercab, but it only gets filled every 6 months if that. We have a Hyundai Elantra for most runs.

I long ago traded in my commuter vehicle for a modem, we do most "errands" and shopping online and pretty much only go out every couple of weeks for a milk run and periodically to Lowes where we load down the "Beast" to the gunnels. We're laying low this past year but it is hardly noticeable, LOL
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby Pops » Mon 08 Feb 2021, 10:07:52

Here is the deal with diesel, oversupplied last year but getting back into range

Ditto crude stocks

The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby JuanP » Mon 08 Feb 2021, 12:06:04

I have to admit that I have no idea how much gas costs or how much I use. I haven't cared at all since I came to the USA over 30 years ago. I think that gasoline is ridiculously cheap in the USA and the price should be raised to at least US$10 a gallon to encourage most Americans to waste less. I believe that at $10 a gallon most Americans would become more aware of their wasteful habits, though it still would be too cheap to matter to people like me.

I consume very, very, very little of anything and I have no idea how much any of it costs. That is probably because I've never lacked anything. I have produced a lot more than I have consumed all my life, mostly because I like producing more than I like consuming. I have always lived well below my means in an ascetic, minimalist way.
"Only Americans can hurt America." Dwight D. Eisenhower
Free Meng Wanzhou! TRUMP 2024!
JuanP
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby dissident » Mon 08 Feb 2021, 12:53:59

The US is in a circularity. It cannot have expensive gasoline since it has developed a consumer economy which requires cheap gasoline. If you have to get in a car to do grocery shopping, then the gasoline price becomes an issue. The 2008 recession was linked to the gasoline prices in the USA since the exurbs became nonviable and helped precipitate the subprime meltdown. People try to dismiss the link of this meltdown to gasoline prices but they have no substitute explanation. All bubbles inflate until something bursts them. So what other cause in 2008 was there to deflate this bubble?
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Subjectivist » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 22:35:37

Gas in Toledo is now around $2.659 at the cheaper stations around town. That means prices have gone up about $0.50/gallon since New Years Day 2021. How are things in your end of the world?
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby AdamB » Sun 21 Feb 2021, 22:50:05

Subjectivist wrote:Gas in Toledo is now around $2.659 at the cheaper stations around town. That means prices have gone up about $0.50/gallon since New Years Day 2021. How are things in your end of the world?

$2.49 locally, was $2.39 a few days ago. Don't know exactly which day it changed, haven't needed to buy any since the latest EV arrived in the fleet.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby OutcastPhilosopher » Thu 25 Feb 2021, 17:17:30

Gas prices are now up a full dollar in my area.....up to 2.79

In late 2020....they were hovering between 1.69-1.80
OutcastPhilosopher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Tanada » Fri 26 Feb 2021, 21:19:23

OutcastPhilosopher wrote:Gas prices are now up a full dollar in my area.....up to 2.79

Interesting, care to share what region you live it? It would give the numbers a bit of context.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AdamB » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 01:42:12

$3.21/gal for premium at an interstate stop in Northern Colorado. Was forced to burn liquid fuels during a wife shopping trip this afternoon, I consider this to be an affront against humanity but she would have none of it. No way was she sticking to the range of the EV on this trip.

AdamB
Volunteer
Volunteer

Unread postby OutcastPhilosopher » Sat 27 Feb 2021, 20:29:51

Tanada wrote:
OutcastPhilosopher wrote:Gas prices are now up a full dollar in my area.....up to 2.79

Interesting, care to share what region you live it? It would give the numbers a bit of context.

South of you.....if your location is correct.
OutcastPhilosopher
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 13:23:55

OutcastPhilosopher wrote:
Tanada wrote:

South of you.....if your location is correct.

So in your tiny mind, anywhere south of latitude X is the same, re gasoline prices? No difference between a big city and out in the middle of nowhere? No difference between states?

Are you so paranoid that you think if you say, for example, Rural NM, vs. Southern CA big city that it lets the mean ninjas with the black helicopters, directed by "them", come track you down?

Mostly devoid of meaningful content and paranoid (re your conspiracy theories). At least you're consistent, so there's one attaboy for you. :roll:
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 13:30:29

Subjectivist wrote:Gas in Toledo is now around $2.659 at the cheaper stations around town. That means prices have gone up about $0.50/gallon since New Years Day 2021. How are things in your end of the world?

Over time, it seems like the gas prices here in Lexington, KY, track the gas prices in Toledo fairly closely (say, within 20 cents or so). Overall, I'd say about as closely as deltas I notice within a 50 mile radius of Lexington in small towns, just noticing signs at random times of the year. I find the economics of the market interesting. Of course, I probably just notice it more given the giant signs out on pretty much all gas stations.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Tanada » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 14:46:28

Outcast_Searcher wrote:

Over time, it seems like the gas prices here in Lexington, KY, track the gas prices in Toledo fairly closely (say, within 20 cents or so). Overall, I'd say about as closely as deltas I notice within a 50 mile radius of Lexington in small towns, just noticing signs at random times of the year. I find the economics of the market interesting. Of course, I probably just notice it more given the giant signs out on pretty much all gas stations.

I used to travel monthly down the length of I-75 in Ohio from Toledo at the north end to Cincinnati at the south end. An interesting pattern checking freeway gas stations on both sides north and south bound is that fuel prices in Toledo south to Findlay and Dayton south to Cincinnati were very closely aligned but in the middle third prices would steadily decrease, then climb back up from the half-way point through the state. Once I figured out this economic reality I made sure to fill up half way down and then fill up again half way back up. The truck stops in those middle area were also always the busiest along the route so clearly the hi-lo-hi nature of Ohio prices was well known to over the road travelers in the semi truck driving industry as well.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 16:36:38

Tanada wrote:I used to travel monthly down the length of I-75 in Ohio from Toledo at the north end to Cincinnati at the south end. An interesting pattern checking freeway gas stations on both sides north and south bound is that fuel prices in Toledo south to Findlay and Dayton south to Cincinnati were very closely aligned but in the middle third prices would steadily decrease, then climb back up from the half-way point through the state. Once I figured out this economic reality I made sure to fill up half way down and then fill up again half way back up. The truck stops in those middle area were also always the busiest along the route so clearly the hi-lo-hi nature of Ohio prices was well known to over the road travelers in the semi truck driving industry as well.

Interesting. Having retired mainly by being frugal vs. earning a huge salary (a habit imbued by my parents), part of the reason I paid attention was to see if there was a discernable pattern to suggest buying gas at X when I traveled. Though prices were often different by up to a quarter a gallon or so, I never noticed enough of a trend in my area to try and exploit it. One time in Richmond, KY, it would be 20 cents more, and later it would be 20 cents less, for example.

Clearly the market works, but again, I find the variation in HOW it works rather interesting. (And yes, I am very much a nerd).
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 16:48:19

Subjectivist wrote:Toledo is about half and half, you can still find $2.299/gal in some outlets but as of this morning many have switched over to the $2.429-$2.459/gal range which is a heck of an overnight jump. Did someone blow up a tanker and I just missed it on the news?

In my world, 20 or 30 cent jumps (or drops) happen OFTEN. Of course, looking at it, generally there's been a several dollar WTI move in that direction in the days/weeks before that happened, overall.

It doesn't take anything spectacular, just moderate price movement in a relatively short amount of time. Re the past couple decades, nothing new to see here.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

PreviousNext

Return to Peak Oil Discussion