Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Re: THE Global Population Thread Pt. 4

Unread postby Subjectivist » Fri 25 Sep 2020, 21:09:33

I count 7.8 Bi8llion as a kind of milestone as it means within two years we will pass 8 Billion. With all the Covid distractions I didn't think to look until just now.

On July 1, 2020 the number for mid year was 7,794,798,739
On Today September 25 estimated number is 7,814,346,840

That is a smooth 20 million growth in 13 weeks or 1/4 of the year whichever you prefer.

There are 14 weeks left this year so we can expect to hit at least 7,834,000,000 by New Years day. Add 80 million projected for 2021 and that puts us over 7,914,000,000 by the end of next year and over 8 Billion in late 2022 or early 2023.

I remember when the news magazines made a huge deal of hitting the 5,000,000,000 number in the mid 1980's and the kids born then will be hitting their 40's as we pass 8,000,000,000!

There are now about 65% more people on the planet than there were in the early 1980's. No wonder the number of massive urban centers has exploded!

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
II Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Subjectivist
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 10:08:24

Good points on how the numbers are trending.

I do wonder if covid will put a bit of a dent in these numbers eventually. Not so much from the raw death toll. But it seems like this is a particularly hard time to start an intimate relationship.

Do couples have to be sure to each get tested before they take things 'to the next step'?

Do they have to show each other the test results, or would this be a matter of trust?

Does anyone have friends or relatives trying to start up a new relationship these days? I don't have many people I know in this category any more, so any insights would be welcome.

But again (and again and again and again), the population group to be most concerned about is the top 10%, who consume the lion's share of the world's resources, and among those, the top 1% who are responsible for some 50% of all CO2 emissions (see article in CO2 thread, and discussion there).

For those truly interested in curbing population growth, please contributed generously to any of the many global organizations devoted to increasing women's rights, education, healthcare, etc. This has been shown to be the most effective humane way of controlling run away population growth.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sat 26 Sep 2020, 11:47:47

dohboi wrote:Good points on how the numbers are trending.

I do wonder if covid will put a bit of a dent in these numbers eventually. Not so much from the raw death toll. But it seems like this is a particularly hard time to start an intimate relationship.

Not at all, remember what happened in 1945 - delayed births all happened at the same time!
Once this farce is over, they'll be at it like rabbits.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Planned obsolescence, one of the largest contributors to the man made element of climate change, but the one least discussed: dolanbaker
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 27 Sep 2020, 00:16:35

'they' ?

You are not also a 'kudzu rabbit' my dear dol? :P
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dolanbaker » Sun 27 Sep 2020, 06:56:03

dohboi wrote:'they' ?

You are not also a 'kudzu rabbit' my dear dol? :P

"they", the 18-35 age group, I'm well past that now :(
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.:Anonymous
Our whole economy is based on planned obsolescence.
Planned obsolescence, one of the largest contributors to the man made element of climate change, but the one least discussed: dolanbaker
dolanbaker
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 27 Sep 2020, 16:38:10

Abortion posts Moved to a new thread
Abortion Thread
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby REAL Green » Mon 28 Sep 2020, 07:37:47

Heinberg weighs in on the need to reduce population along with degrowth. This is a bit idealistic becuase of the trade-offs and consequences of his pondering but keep in mind some of this is essential for mitigation and adaptation of the human carbon trap and the trap of path dependencies. This won't save us but it can make things less worse. The unfortunate case is global competitive cooperation that allows so many people to live together will likely not allow much of this becuase of the costs:

"What If Preventing Collapse Isn't Profitable?"
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020 ... profitable

"There is a third and final realm in which action would be necessary. We would need to take the population question seriously. If population is growing, a shrinking economy becomes an ever-greater burden on each individual. But if population levels are declining, then economic degrowth imposes a smaller per-capita toll, and quality of life could improve as human numbers decline to a sustainable level. The eventual result of taking these collective actions would likely be a happier society, but a smaller and slower one. Many people already yearn for a slower and happier way of life, and, ironically, under current industrial conditions they are forced to pay extra for simple, healthy food, clean air, and opportunities to feel creative and genuinely useful. The simplicity movement, the permaculture movement, the self-sufficiency movement, the maker movement, the tiny house movement, the sharing economy, and the back-to-the-land movement have all sought to cultivate and channel the understandable human urge to regain personal autonomy, re-weave social relationships, and reconnect with nature. There is advantage to be had in ending our assault on the planet; just not profit in the financial sense."
realgreenadaptation.blog
REAL Green
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Oct 2020, 14:05:53

"Pregnancy rates hit new lows for women 24 and younger, new highs for women 35 and older"

If these balance each other by the raw numbers, it's actually still a good thing in terms of curbing pop growth.

The over-35 women getting pregnant are probably having their last kid, whereas if younger women start having more kids, they could keep having kids for decades
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 08 Oct 2020, 14:20:34

dohboi wrote:"Pregnancy rates hit new lows for women 24 and younger, new highs for women 35 and older"

If these balance each other by the raw numbers, it's actually still a good thing in terms of curbing pop growth.

The over-35 women getting pregnant are probably having their last kid, whereas if younger women start having more kids, they could keep having kids for decades

The white population in the US has been at zero population growth for decades now. All the population growth in the USA is coming from immigration, and from the higher birth rates among POC in the USA.

Cheers!
The lack of speed has to go faster---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
I tested positive for COVID-19---Donald Trump
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 08 Oct 2020, 15:18:08

Oops, forgot to post the link on that one...here it is

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... -for-women

Good points, P (is there a different 'P' that posts mostly reasonable points on these Env thread than the 'P' who rant on the other thread, or something?? :) )

But of course population is mostly a problem as it is a factor in the formula P x C(onsumption) ... = env damage

And by and large whites have more income and so have a greater environmental impact
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 08 Oct 2020, 22:37:41

dohboi wrote: of course population is mostly a problem as it is a factor in the formula P x C(onsumption) ... = env damage

And by and large whites have more income and so have a greater environmental impact

Thats true enough, but One of the reasons that so many Hispanics and XLatinos are putting together caravans and traveling hundreds of miles to the US border and crossing the Rio Grande or crossing into California and basically making huge efforts to get into the United States is because they WANT the higher standard living they can get in the USA.

While these millions of individuals may not immediately have the same income as US citizens, they definitely do have higher incomes then they had back in Mexico/Guatamala/Honduras/Haiti etc.

This was one of the things the old ZERO POPULATION MOVEMENT used to point out..... The ZPG people were right that illegal immigration into the US is INCREASING the population of the USA, and this increase in US population inevitably leads to more and more environmental damage....

Cheers!
The lack of speed has to go faster---Joe Biden
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
I tested positive for COVID-19---Donald Trump
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 09 Oct 2020, 22:12:41

wow, you really are out of touch

there has been a net outflow of migrants from the US south for quite some time now

but you have your narrative and you're stickin' to it

don't let me get in the way of your delusions
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate