Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Norway's Arctic gas pipeline expansion cheaper than LNG

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Norway's Arctic gas pipeline expansion cheaper than LNG

Unread postby Tom Kirkman » Mon 29 Jun 2020, 07:36:05

Please allow me to ruffle some feathers, as I continue to ignore the panic-mongering about oil & gas running out.

Expansion of oil & gas infrastructure continues, regardless of any narrative to the contrary.

So let's have a look at Norway, and what they are planning to do to increase their exports of their natural gas resources in the Arctic.

Natural gas pipelines are generally cheaper than conversion to LNG.

This article does a good job in breaking down the numbers for the costs of natural gas pipeline expansion vs. LNG for Norway's Arctic natural gas resources.

=======================================

Rystad Energy: Gassco’s pipeline option far cheaper than LNG alternative

A Rystad Energy cost analysis of the Norwegian pipeline operator Gassco’s proposed options to export the country’s Arctic natural gas resources, shows that the expansion of Norway’s pipeline infrastructure is a more viable solution compared to boosting the capacity of the existing Hammerfest liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant. However, at least 40 billion m3 of additional resources from new discoveries would be needed in order to justify such an initiative.

At present, the Hammerfest LNG terminal only has 7.4 billion m3/y of LNG export capacity, and this limit is expected to be reached in 2026 as gas production in the region will exceed export capacity. The terminal was built to accommodate the gas discoveries of the 1980s, but since then new discoveries have added up. Rystad Energy estimates the remaining discovered natural gas resources in the Barents Sea at around 90 billion m3.

If Norway’s gas resources in the Barents are to be further developed and exploited, there are two main options to reach markets: either build a major new gas pipeline as a link to existing infrastructure in the Norwegian Sea or increase LNG capacity at Hammerfest. If export capacity limits are not increased, projects will have to be phased so as to fill pipeline capacity as it becomes available, destroying substantial value. ...

... The winner:

A new pipeline export route wins out in terms of offering the lowest cost, on a per unit basis, for additional gas export volumes.

Assuming the pipeline were to utilise the simpler processing or even the more expensive expansion of an existing processing plant, this project would still realise gas costs of around US$1 per million Btu, a lower cost export solution with any capacity up to 30 million cmd. This would allow for a further 5 million cmd of yet-to-be discovered and developed resources to be sent through the conduit.
Tom Kirkman
Wood
Wood

Re: Norway's Arctic gas pipeline expansion cheaper than LNG

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Mon 29 Jun 2020, 09:36:14

Greetings, Mr. Kirkman.
Always great to see informative contributions and I hope that you are able to continue with your excellent data postings on this site.

As Groningen's 1 Bcfd contributions will cease after 2 more winters, it will be interesting to see how all this market jockeying will pan out.
France's nuclear plants expect a curtailed output this fall, raising concerns about electricity pricing this coming winter.
Adequate supply of natty - whether piped or in LNG form - may assume greater attention amongst the European markets when/if the people wake up one day and it is simply not there.
Best regards to you and hope things are going well.
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Norway's Arctic gas pipeline expansion cheaper than LNG

Unread postby Tom Kirkman » Mon 29 Jun 2020, 13:16:36

coffeeguyzz wrote:Greetings, Mr. Kirkman.
Always great to see informative contributions and I hope that you are able to continue with your excellent data postings on this site.

Thanks for your kind words coffeeguyzz. Do I know you from the Oil Price forum? If so, Mike Shellman is still posting on LinkedIn, along with Enno. Don Minter has apparently risen from the dead and has made a surprise appearance back on LinkedIn as well this week, commenting about the Chesapeake Energy bankruptcy. Pretty sure Don was shadowbanned on LinkedIn for a while, just like I was for a while, off and on again. Mike and Don were fellow moderators with me on the now defunct Oilpro forum, which had over 1 million registered members. Sadly, nothing has come close to replacing the old Oilpro forum in its heyday.

Since I am a noob on this forum, and also not a moderator here, hopefully I can have some fun posting pro oil & gas articles here.

Will I get in trouble posting some of my memes on this forum? My Xi / Winnie the Pooh series of memes always got the attention of CCP supporters.

Tom Kirkman
Wood
Wood

Return to Peak Oil Discussion