Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Trump signaling course change on virus

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: Trump signaling course change on virus

Unread postby derhundistlos » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 14:12:42

"I am extremely happy that Trump is the first US President in my lifetime who hasn't started a foreign military war."

Not true, JuanP, unless you were born later than 1981. Jimmy Carter not only did not start a war, he's the only president for the past 90 years not to have presided over a state of perpetual warfare. We all remember Trump's many promises during the campaign to end America's wasteful wars, yet it's BAU. Hell, he even reinstated the neocon architects of the Iraq War into positions of power and influence so I don't get what you are so proud of.

Regarding Trump's approval/disapproval, his approval numbers have been negative since Day 13 of his presidency and he currently stands at 50.7% Disapprove and 44.6% Approve according to 538, which is nothing to crow about. He has trended in the same band range every day of his time in office.
Last edited by derhundistlos on Wed 25 Mar 2020, 14:26:32, edited 2 times in total.
Alone among God’s primates, Man kills for sport and lust and greed. If he's permitted to breed in great numbers, he'll make a desert of his home & yours. For he hath becometh death, the great Destroyer of worlds. ~The Budha~

The good Earth- we could have saved it, but we were too damn cheap & lazy ~K. Vonnegut~
derhundistlos
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 14:15:29

JuanP wrote: I have been living in Miami Beach in condos and sailboats for around 30 years since before Hurricane Andrew hit, though I was on vacation surfing in Brazil when that happened.

I used to own a number of condos here, but I sold them all and now I rent because of sea level rise. I only own a small 10 hectares permaculture farm in Uruguay which I purchased around 5 years ago and have only visited twice since. It's rented to the local doctor (a friend of mine) for a pittance. It's the place I will go to if things turn really bad, but this virus hasn't been enough motivation to leave yet.

What an interesting story.

It sounds like you've lived well in the US for 30 years and you've got your money in the US and you've made significantly more money in the US by buying and selling properties in the US.

So when did you become so anti-American and so pro-China and pro-CCP?

Was it the surfing in Brazil that did it?

Cheers!
The lack of speed has to go faster---Joe Biden
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 14:37:11

Plantagenet wrote:
JuanP wrote: I have been living in Miami Beach in condos and sailboats for around 30 years since before Hurricane Andrew hit, though I was on vacation surfing in Brazil when that happened.

I used to own a number of condos here, but I sold them all and now I rent because of sea level rise. I only own a small 10 hectares permaculture farm in Uruguay which I purchased around 5 years ago and have only visited twice since. It's rented to the local doctor (a friend of mine) for a pittance. It's the place I will go to if things turn really bad, but this virus hasn't been enough motivation to leave yet.

What an interesting story.

It sounds like you've lived well in the US for 30 years and you've got your money in the US and you've made significantly more money in the US by buying and selling properties in the US.

So when did you become so anti-American and so pro-CCP? Was it the surfing in Brazil that did it?

Cheers!

Not at all, Plant. You are assuming a lot. While I have lived well in the USA, it was not with money made in the USA, but with money I was born with because I come from a very rich family. I have donated, gifted, and paid in taxes a lot of money to Americans and the US government. My wife currently employs around 80 Americans that work for a company we opened and run on a not for profit basis. We haven't taken a penny from our company ever, the employees get equal shares of the profits as a bonus. I have paid taxes in the USA for 30 years, but have never claimed or will ever claim a single benefit from that. I am independently wealthy and live a very, very simple life. I have mostly done volunteer and pro bono work all my life, well over 40 hours a week. I retired 5 years ago at the age of 45, but I still work over 40 hours.

I don't pretend to be good or generous; I just don't give a fuck about money and never have. A privilege of the very rich? I have gifted and donated several times the money that I have because I had no use for it. I am not into traveling or luxuries, not my thing.
Only Americans can hurt America.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 14:59:10

JuanP wrote: I come from a very rich family.

I see you chose your parents well.

JuanP wrote: I am independently wealthy and live a very, very simple life.

Ocean front living in Miami Beach and Surfing vacations in Brazil are not what most people would call a "very, very simple life," but people who inherit money are often clueless about things like that.

JuanP wrote:...fuck .....

Your potty mouth is overflowing. Please flush

----------------------------------

Thank you for the mini-autobiography but you didn't answer my question, Juan.

That was quite an interesting story about your "very, very simple life" of Ocean front living in Miami Beach, sailboats, surfing vacations in Brazil etc.

However I'm still curious why, given your choice to live in the US and your choice to invest your wealth in the US and your experience of 30 years of living a life of inherited wealth and privilege and luxury in the US, you are so anti-US and pro-China and pro-CCP?

Let me guess----Do the window washers not clean your condo window often enough in Miami so your ocean view is blemished? Do you maids only vacuum and clean your ocean front condo once a day? Is that why you are anti-US?

"I live a very, very simple life"..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :roll: :roll:

Cheers!
The lack of speed has to go faster---Joe Biden
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 16:11:20

Plant,

Give it a break. He gave you a respectful answer.

It’s fair to point out that he did not answer part of your question, I’m not complaining about that. The window washing bit does not help your position.

And while I’m on my soap box, a word to everyone. When you attack someone, it may feel god at the moment, but everyone who hears the attack thinks “That jerk could attack me as well”.

Back to our regular programming, carry on.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby diemos » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 16:53:11

Huh. Inherited wealth ... rentier lifestyle ... bugout ranch in uruguay.

From your level of anti-US vitriol I was thinking that your backstory would be more along the lines of; Guatamalan refugee who watched his entire family get slaughtered in front of his eyes by US backed right wing paramilitaries trained at the "School of the Americas".
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 18:43:28

Plantagenet "So when did you become so anti-American and so pro-China and pro-CCP?"

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore your question. I became anti American little by little at first, and then faster and faster later.

It was the endless political corruption in the USA, the endless unnecessary foreign wars, the constant abusive behavior by the US government towards people wishing to leave their lives in peace, the increasing domestic economic inequality, the increasing social polarization, the constant lies and increasing dishonesty, the abusive and insulting behavior of many Americans, the illegal economic embargoes, the endless trade wars, etc., etc., etc.

I didn't fly for pleasure for 20 years, until I realized that the fight against climate change was lost, and then I only flew twice to build my little permaculture farm which is no ranch. I still don't fly for pleasure (unlike you), but just because I hate flying, even in first class.

I do live in a multimillion dollar luxury oceanfront condo, but not because I care for it. I actually would rather live in a less luxurious environment, but I do it for my wife. I don't like rich people so I don't feel comfortable here. The condo belongs to a friend of mine. It was sitting empty for more than ten years before we moved in because the owner wouldn't rent it because he doesn't need the money or want the trouble of having tenants; he owns another unit in the building which he uses a couple of weeks a year. This was an investment for him. We pay $1,200/month in rent, which is ridiculously low, about 1/5 the market rent for the unit.

The main reason I am still in the USA is that my wife wants to, and whenever I can I give her what she wants because she is the only person I love. We've been together 30 years and she is a wonderful person, the best I've ever met. I really, really had great luck there. I also feel a responsibility towards the 80 American families that depend on us for their income, and would have a hard time if we sold or closed our company. But, I am ready to leave the USA forever in a matter of hours if needed. I have access to a friend's sailboat that I could sail anywhere in the world and the necessary supplies to do that.

I dislike people in general, not just Americans, and every day more. I don't believe that Americans are particularly evil, but victims of their privileged circumstances, just like most rich and powerful people. Any other nation and peoples would have ended in a similar way under the same circumstances.

I never had children and had a Vasectomy instead because I believe the 21st Century will be hell on Earth for the younger generations. I love children, though, and I have always volunteered in schools; I started volunteering as a teenager. I've also volunteered in homeless shelters and food banks, with Habitat for Humanity, and in countless other ways.

I started admiring and respecting the Chinese, Russians, Cubans, and others as a consequence of the relentless unjustified attacks by the US government on these and almost every other nation in the world. I can't remember what exactly made me like the Chinese; it was a while back. I started supporting Cubans after the Special Period and Russians after the US instigated coup d'etat in Ukraine. My ancestry is Western European and I am white, if you are curious. I also read a lot of foreign media because I am fluent in 5 languages, which gives me a more varied insight on global affairs than most can have.

I love the USA with all my heart which is why I am so furious with its government and those Americans destroying it, and, yes, I am FURIOUS about it. Witnessing what this country has become in the last 3 decades has been the biggest disappointment of my life.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers!
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 19:26:24

diemos wrote:Huh. Inherited wealth ... rentier lifestyle ... bugout ranch in uruguay.

From your level of anti-US vitriol I was thinking that your backstory would be more along the lines of; Guatamalan refugee who watched his entire family get slaughtered in front of his eyes by US backed right wing paramilitaries trained at the "School of the Americas".

I grew up in Uruguay where we did have a 13 year US instigated right wing military dictatorship during my childhood and adolescence. I had a couple of friends whose fathers and brothers were kidnapped, tortured, and disappeared by military officers trained at the School of the Americas.

I was untouchable to the military for two reasons. First, because of my mother's family's wealth and power. Second, because my paternal grandfather was the highest decorated Uruguayan Navy officer in the country's history. When I got stopped all I had to do was tell them my name. Then they would ask: Are you related to Coommander Such and Such, and I would tell them: yes, he is my grandfather. You should have seen the fear and terror in their eyes when they realized who I was. Then they would say sorry and let me go. If anyone had arrested or tortured me they would have probably been tortured and killed themselves. My grandfather had exiled himself because he was ashamed of what the military did. He only went back to Uruguay after the military dictatorship had ended to die of cancer. My first memory of him is from when I was 16, he'd left the country when I was 3.

Every Latin American of my generation went through shit like that because of the US government, very few still resent it, mostly the ones who had relatives imprisoned, tortured, and/or assassinated. You should always be respectful when bringing that up.

I personally know every Uruguayan President that was in power in my life. I tutored the current Uruguayan President when he was in high school. I went out with his sister a few times. I got drunk with his father who was a former Uruguayan President at the time many times. His mother's been friends with mine since they were 6 years old and they see each other at least once every month.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 20:04:51

I see this thread is fast becoming the JuanP show. Best to just ignore him and move on.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-I'm glad Trump is in there now. I think we'll have a vaccine in a couple of months. (mmasters, 3/17/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 20:11:00

asg70 wrote:I see this thread is fast becoming the JuanP show. Best to just ignore him and move on.

I keep waiting for you to ignore me, ASG. You've already said that you were going to do that several times over the last few days, but it's not happening. From my point of view, you don't contribute much at all, so I would be perfectly OK if you ignored me.

I will be spending more time here for now because most of the places where I volunteer are shut down.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby asg70 » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 20:15:49

BOLD PREDICTIONS
-I'm glad Trump is in there now. I think we'll have a vaccine in a couple of months. (mmasters, 3/17/20)

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 20:26:44

asg70 wrote:Image

And just what do you think you just did, ASG?
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby JuanP » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 09:42:50

"US is at a critical juncture facing TWO EPIDEMICS: COVID-19 and soaring joblessness"
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/484036-us-epid ... blessness/

The USA is the nation with the highest number of active cases and the highest number of daily new infections. The way the US government is mismanaging this crisis the sky is the limit at this point.

Putin raises taxes on the rich to fight the crisis.
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/484152-covid-p ... al-future/
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 15:57:48

RT is the propaganda mouthpiece of the Russian oligarchy.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 12:12:57

Trump's poll ratings at all time high!
https://www.rt.com/usa/484300-coronavir ... lls-media/

I've essentially never watched American TV programs, and I didn't even own a TV for more than a decade. I own one now because a friend was so upset that we didn't have one that he bought one for us as a gift. We mostly use it to watch Netflix and YouTube now and then. These past few days we've been watching cable (which is included with my rent for free because every unit in our condo gets it) for a few minutes now and then. I now know who Hannity, Rachel Maddow, and Cuomo are! LOL! We have also been watching Trump. They are all so full of shit that we usually can't watch for more than 10-15 minutes before we turn the TV off. But, I now understand why most Americans are so dis informed. LOL!
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby mousepad » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 12:21:54

JuanP wrote:I've essentially never watched American TV programs, and I didn't even own a TV for more than a decade.

It's amazing how 90% of your posts is justifying your lifestyle. Do you suffer a lot that you're a child of unearned privilege?
mousepad
Peat
Peat

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 12:25:44

mousepad wrote:
JuanP wrote:I've essentially never watched American TV programs, and I didn't even own a TV for more than a decade.

It's amazing how 90% of your posts is justifying your lifestyle. Do you suffer a lot that you're a child of unearned privilege?

No, I don't, but thank you for your concern. Stay safe and practice spatial distancing with social bonding!
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 12:42:20

JuanP wrote:
mousepad wrote:

No, I don't, but thank you for your concern. Stay safe and practice spatial distancing with social bonding!

Funny how troll accounts always claim vast wealth and relationships to important people like fake admirals in a rowboat navy.

I'll admit I'm just a regular guy. I don't know super secret squirrel shit nor do I know important admirals, CIA agents, or have a source in the NSA. But apparently I'm the only member here who is just a regular dude who likes women and beer.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby diemos » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 12:53:14

mousepad wrote:Do you suffer a lot that you're a child of unearned privilege?

He's dropped enough hints to piece together his backstory. He grew up associated with the US backed military junta that terrorized Uruguay and he's been hiding in Florida for the past 30 years because he dares not go back. He blames the US for his exile, instead of the people that eagerly took its help to seize power.
diemos
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby JuanP » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 13:09:03

diemos wrote:
mousepad wrote:Do you suffer a lot that you're a child of unearned privilege?

He's dropped enough hints to piece together his backstory. He grew up associated with the US backed military junta that terrorized Uruguay and he's been hiding in Florida for the past 30 years because he dares not go back. He blames the US for his exile, instead of the people that eagerly took its help to seize power.

I was never associated with the junta in any way. I can go back to Uruguay whenever I want. I do not blame the USA for my exile. Every part of your comment is inaccurate. Your reading comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired. Stay safe and practice spatial distancing and social bonding.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
JuanP
Lignite
Lignite

PreviousNext

Return to Economics & Finance