Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Greta Thunberg's Voyage Pt. 2

Re: Greta Thunberg's Voyage Pt. 2

Unread postby Ibon » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 18:13:15

dissident wrote: Attack on Greta's talking points is instantly misconstrued as a personal attack.

Mural = poster = propaganda.

Can you highlight the specifics of Greta's talking points that you feel compelled to attack?
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby lpetrich » Tue 12 Nov 2019, 22:08:14

Mirabaud Sailing Video Award - Mini-documentary of Greta Thunberg's Atlantic voyage.

Greta Thunberg on Instagram: “So happy to say that I'll hopefully make it to COP25 in Madrid. I’ve been offered a ride from Virginia on the 48ft catamaran La Vagabonde.…”
So happy to say that I'll hopefully make it to COP25 in Madrid.
I’ve been offered a ride from Virginia on the 48ft catamaran La Vagabonde. The Australians @Riley.whitelum , @elayna.carausu & @_nikkihenderson from England will take me across the Atlantic.
We sail for Europe tomorrow morning!
lpetrich
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Cog » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 03:10:38

Greta belongs back in school instead of being used as a prop by her abusive parents.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 05:44:35

COG,

That is somewhat true. On the other hand it seems no adult is able to spark the movement the way she has. She is having an extreme learning experience, hopefully it won’t do her much damage.

In the meantime I still contend that these populist movements seldom have the staying power or direction needed and are open to abuse. More important is a fundamental improvement in folks environmental understanding of Earth’s biosphere, in total. It’s not the entire carrying capacity that is being exceeded, climate change is just one symptom.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 15:44:19

Greta caught a ride on a cat.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/13/77886290 ... conference

Wish her luck, it’s not the best time of year to be making this trip. Could get bumpy.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 16:52:16

Cog wrote:Greta belongs back in school ....

Actually, Greta has now finished secondary school in Sweden. She missed a lot of class, but nonetheless she got almost all "A"s in her classes.

greta-thunberg-s-other-lesson-is-about-compulsory-school

Many students benefit from the structure regular, compulsory attendance at school provides for them, but not all students need that kind of regimentation. In Greta's case she graduated with stellar academic marks in spite of missing so much school and is now launched on a truly remarkable life.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 18:23:28

Not sure but I THINK you will be able to track Gretta’s voyage at this site. Seems they have already left.

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracki ... aVagabonde
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 13 Nov 2019, 19:03:02

Newfie wrote:Not sure but I THINK you will be able to track Gretta’s voyage at this site. Seems they have already left.

https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracki ... aVagabonde

WOW! Thats a reallly cool website, Newfie. Loved the graphics showing the offshore winds, with La Vagabonde making 6.7 knots due east right now.

They sailed from Hampton, Virginia this morning.

greta-thunberg-sets-sail-for-home-and-the-u-n-climate-conference

She's off with Riley Whitelum and his significant other and their child. They have an instagram site with a gazillion likes and a youtube channel with a million followers and a place you can donate money to them at Patreon. Hopefully they'll post tweets or maybe even a youtube video update somehow as they cruise east across the Atlantic.

NYTIMES story on Riley Whitelum and family cruising the world on La Vagabonde

It was in the 30s when they set off this morning for sunny Spain.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Fri 15 Nov 2019, 20:12:41

Still making about 6.7 knots, but they've been sailing due south instead of east.

SailingLaVagabonde

Its going to take Greta a long time to get to Spain if they keep going in the wrong direction.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby EnergyUnlimited » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 03:58:50

Plantagenet wrote:Actually, Greta has now finished secondary school in Sweden. She missed a lot of class, but nonetheless she got almost all "A"s in her classes.

Many students benefit from the structure regular, compulsory attendance at school provides for them, but not all students need that kind of regimentation. In Greta's case she graduated with stellar academic marks in spite of missing so much school and is now launched on a truly remarkable life.

Sometimes I wonder if you really believe in all what you write about her...
Cynical part of me is telling that you are taking a mickey of all of us...
If so, then have a good fun. :)
EnergyUnlimited
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Ibon » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 08:34:40

EnergyUnlimited wrote:
Plantagenet wrote:Actually, Greta has now finished secondary school in Sweden. She missed a lot of class, but nonetheless she got almost all "A"s in her classes.

Sometimes I wonder if you really believe in all what you write about her...
Cynical part of me is telling that you are taking a mickey of all of us...
If so, then have a good fun. :)

EU, Plant, like all humans, is a complex amalgam of real concern for climate change with a totally cynical viewpoint. He is a player and not really to be taken seriously.

In short supply today is a sense of genuine authenticity.

Plant is representative of the greater culture.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Nefarious » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 10:47:21

Only in an insane clown world would adults listen to children. We seem to be par for the course.
'By the pricking of my thumbs,Something Wicked This Way Comes."
Nefarious
Coal
Coal

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:20:22

Ibon wrote:Plant, like all humans, is a complex amalgam of real concern for climate change with a totally cynical viewpoint. He is a player and not really to be taken seriously.

I could say the same thing about you.

Ibon wrote:Plant is representative of the greater culture.

We all represent various aspects of the greater culture. You, for instance, were formerly a very successful salesman for a large international medical equipment corporation who is now owns an eco-lodge in Panama and various properties in Miami Beach, some of which you recently sold for huge profits. As such, you represent the viewpoint of entitled, wealthy liberal Americans.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:29:48

What we have in common is the infinite desire to reduce ourselves to finger pointing and blame.

I like verbs and questions. As in ....

“What shall we DO?”

Completely reorientates.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:33:23

Newfie wrote:What we have in common is the infinite desire to reduce ourselves to finger pointing and blame.

The right to criticize the government is one of the most fundamental American rights.

And heaven knows our government deserves a great deal of finger pointing and blame.

IMHO figuring out what we should be doing instead is actually quite easy. There are an unlimited number of policies that would be preferable to what is actually happening in the world. The problem is that in the real world there are structural and economic and political impediments to adopting those superior policies.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:48:16

La Vagabonde has finally stopped going south and is now going east at 6.8 knots.

Its ca. 3,900 miles from the US east coast to Spain, and they've been traveling at 6.8 knots for 3 days now, so that seems to be about what the big catamaran will do. So.....at 6.8 knots an hour they make about 170 miles per day and it should take them about 22-23 days to get to the Iberian Peninsula.

THE COP 25 meeting in Spain starts on Dec. 2nd which is about 17 days away and lasts about a week.

Hmmmmm........looks like Greta should make it in time to be Madrid for the end of the UN COP 25 meeting. Which, considering nothing useful or substantive is likely to get done there, will be excellent timing for Greta to arrive and protest another failure of the UN climate change process.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 14:42:43

You are presuming a straight line distance, as you can see from their previous course it’s anything but straight line, it’s driven by the direction of the wind and sea state. Catamarans are not very “weatherly”, they don’t go into the wind well.

OTOH, that cat can do a lot more than 6.8knots should conditions improve.

OTOH they have been forced very far South, out of the region of favorable winds (statistically) and into a region where calms are more prevalent.

In short, it’s up to the wind gods now.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Sat 16 Nov 2019, 21:24:59

The wind Gods and how well these folks understand their boat and nav through the Atlantic. The boat may go faster if the bottom wasn’t furry, based on their business model I wonder how often they dry dock it or at least dive on it
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby asg70 » Sun 17 Nov 2019, 00:22:31

Plantagenet wrote:We all represent various aspects of the greater culture.

Indeed. Care to take credit for your own ecological guilt?

Plantagenet wrote:The problem is that in the real world there are structural and economic and political impediments to adopting those superior policies.

Yep. Like people who feel entitled to fly without extra taxes or surcharges.

What kind of sacrifices do you think people (and by people, that includes you) should be expected to make?

Seems to me you'd rather just pretend to care, park the blame at the feet of politicians, throw up your hands, declare the situation hopeless, and just oh-so-conveniently carry on with your unfettered BAU lifestyle.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Sun 17 Nov 2019, 02:07:03

Newfie wrote:OTOH, that cat can do a lot more than 6.8knots should conditions improve.......In short, it’s up to the wind gods now.

I see what you mean. They're up to 8.3 knots/hr now and should make ca. 200 miles today....but you are right. Greta and company seem to be headed first south and then due east into an area with lower wind speeds.

I crossed the north Atlantic in late fall on the Joides Resolution (the international scientific drilling ship) but we pretty much just blasted on through even the worst storms in the North Atlantic. We were drilling off central Greenland and the storms got so bad we had to head to St. Johns Newfoundland earlier then we intended. Off southern Greenland we had 50-60 foot waves that went right over the top of the ship to the drill rig in the center and then poured down into the moon pool down within the core of the ship...but the Joides Resolution just gave a little surge and kept on going. There was a sailboat out in the same area when we were doing the crossing, but when the boat was found later the occupants were dead. Hopefully Greta won't hit weather like that on the southerly path she is taking.

The North Atlantic can get lumpy this time of year.....so Greta is going south.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate