Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal


PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The time .... has arrived.

Discussions about the economic and financial ramifications of PEAK OIL

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 15 Aug 2019, 17:40:46

Considering what this site is about may I remind everyone that an extended global recession will result in demand destruction and scale back consumption and CO2 emissions a zillion times more effectively than your most enlightened international climate accord.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
website: http://www.mounttotumas.com
User avatar
Ibon
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 7470
Joined: Fri 03 Dec 2004, 03:00:00
Location: Volcan, Panama

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby Sys1 » Fri 16 Aug 2019, 11:54:07

Ibon : On the other hand, a recession prevents countries from shifting from oil intensive energy to renewable. After every recession, oil/gas prices are collapsing and weak economies look after cheap energy to rebuild their sick wallet. We are on the ondulating plateau since 2008, economy stands still with fake growth made of bitcoin/mercato/real estate/tech while standard of living are slowly going south. The ondulating plateau is a curse because we -even on peakoil- look around us and think at first sight that we are still in a business as usual position while the reality is that central banks are lending money quite close from 0% rates for 10 years in order to prevent the house of cards to collapse.
User avatar
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri 25 Feb 2005, 03:00:00

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby marmico » Thu 22 Aug 2019, 09:06:04

The July 2019 Conference Board Leading Economic Index ticked up to 112.2, this business cycle all time high.

https://www.conference-board.org/pdf_fr ... 202019.pdf

The time....has not arrived.
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon 28 Jul 2014, 13:46:35

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sat 24 Aug 2019, 20:32:55

Sys1 wrote:Ibon : On the other hand, a recession prevents countries from shifting from oil intensive energy to renewable. After every recession, oil/gas prices are collapsing and weak economies look after cheap energy to rebuild their sick wallet. We are on the ondulating plateau since 2008, economy stands still with fake growth made of bitcoin/mercato/real estate/tech while standard of living are slowly going south. The ondulating plateau is a curse because we -even on peakoil- look around us and think at first sight that we are still in a business as usual position while the reality is that central banks are lending money quite close from 0% rates for 10 years in order to prevent the house of cards to collapse.

Lumping all tech together and calling it the problem or something negative is INSANE.

Where do efficiencies come from? Tech. Like LED light bulbs, which based on the amount of light produced per unit of power, are 7.5 times as efficient as standard incandescent bulbs. Or fuel injectors, made possible by computers. Or any of a host of technologies allowing for more efficient machines from furnaces to desalinization.

And your argument re pursuing low energy costs is to the point -- better efficiencies will make energy cheaper per unit of work done. Just look at the fleet average MPG standards over time, for example. The biggest thing holding BEV's back is the cost to do the job real world in a competitive way with ICE's, over the life of the car. The job is difficult enough, that I believe transitional tech. like HEV's will play a FAR bigger role before BEV's come anywhere near being dominant.

So let's not confuse real estate bubbles and technology. It's counter-productive.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
User avatar
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 7127
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby marmico » Thu 19 Sep 2019, 09:14:12

It's time that copious abundance declared force majeure on his December 2018 gut bacteria prognostication that the sun is setting (economic expansions die of old age). :)

The unchanged but record high print of the September 2019 Conference Board Leading Economic Index says that the time....has not arrived.

https://www.conference-board.org/pdf_fr ... 202019.pdf
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon 28 Jul 2014, 13:46:35

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby copious.abundance » Fri 20 Sep 2019, 18:04:51

marmico wrote:It's time that copious abundance declared force majeure on his December 2018 gut bacteria prognostication that the sun is setting (economic expansions die of old age). :)

The unchanged but record high print of the September 2019 Conference Board Leading Economic Index says that the time....has not arrived.

https://www.conference-board.org/pdf_fr ... 202019.pdf

The LEI is showing signs of stalling.

And did I give a specific timeline? No.
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
User avatar
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 9571
Joined: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Cornucopia

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby Armageddon » Fri 20 Sep 2019, 19:18:16

The time hasn’t arrived, but it is drawing near
User avatar
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 5186
Joined: Wed 13 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: St.Louis, Mo

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby marmico » Fri 20 Sep 2019, 19:36:21

Using you favorite forecasting metric from last week, the New York Fed Nowcast, the time has been pushed out to 2020 at the earliest which is consistent with the Conference Board LEI.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/research/policy/nowcast



.
marmico
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon 28 Jul 2014, 13:46:35

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby Armageddon » Fri 20 Sep 2019, 19:39:35

marmico wrote:Using you favorite forecasting metric from last week, the New York Fed Nowcast, the time has been pushed out to 2020 at the earliest which is consistent with the Conference Board LEI.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/research/policy/nowcast



.




Never undertestime what historically low interest rates can do. I know I have underestimated them in the past. That’s why I think they can push off this recession until after the election. There’s numerous more 1/4 pt cuts coming.
User avatar
Armageddon
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude
 
Posts: 5186
Joined: Wed 13 Apr 2005, 02:00:00
Location: St.Louis, Mo

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby asg70 » Fri 20 Sep 2019, 22:55:46

Armageddon wrote:The time hasn’t arrived, but it is drawing near


Use the proper term. NIGH.

Image

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun 05 Feb 2017, 13:17:28

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby Sys1 » Sat 21 Sep 2019, 00:44:54

Well, since opening of this site, we say every days "the end is nigh"... me included.
Of course, it will finally happen, but nigh could be tomorrow or around 2030.
Beside KSA attack, oil stays cheap, we fundamentally can pursue our industrial civilisation experience a little more.
User avatar
Sys1
Tar Sands
Tar Sands
 
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri 25 Feb 2005, 03:00:00

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby copious.abundance » Tue 01 Oct 2019, 19:05:55

Manufacturers are mired in their deepest slump since the Great Recession
American manufacturers are sliding deeper into recession. A closely watched gauge of factory activity released on Tuesday registered its weakest reading in more than 10 years, weighed down by slowing global growth, the Trump administration's trade war with China and an ongoing strike by thousands of General Motors workers.

The monthly survey by the Institute for Supply Management, an association of purchasing managers, showed that the sector — which accounts for roughly 12% of U.S. gross domestic product — in September shrank to its lowest level since since June 2009. Manufacturers are also adding fewer jobs.

A decline in international trade and demand for U.S. goods is the biggest factor denting manufacturers, according to ISM. One maker of electrical equipment and parts surveyed by the group also said that "tariffs have caused much confusion in the industry."
Stuff for doomers to contemplate:
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1190117.html#p1190117
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1193930.html#p1193930
http://peakoil.com/forums/post1206767.html#p1206767
User avatar
copious.abundance
Fission
Fission
 
Posts: 9571
Joined: Wed 26 Mar 2008, 02:00:00
Location: Cornucopia

Re: The time .... has arrived.

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Fri 04 Oct 2019, 14:18:26

Sys1 wrote:Well, since opening of this site, we say every days "the end is nigh"... me included.
Of course, it will finally happen, but nigh could be tomorrow or around 2030.
Beside KSA attack, oil stays cheap, we fundamentally can pursue our industrial civilisation experience a little more.

When you say "we", you should say the fast crash doomers, because the long slow crash doomers, the long term pessimists, the moderates, the corny's, etc. certainly don't keep saying "the end is nigh" frequently.

And given the track record of "the end is nigh folks", they shouldn't be saying it either, if they want to be taken seriously.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
User avatar
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB
 
Posts: 7127
Joined: Sat 27 Jun 2009, 20:26:42

Previous

Return to Economics & Finance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests