PeakOil is You

Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Re: Meat Eaters Are Killing The Planet

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 19 Sep 2019, 10:48:56

Meat is murder. But you know that already

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/book ... -foer.html

Amazon wildfires illustrate dangers of deforestation for meat production

https://blog.humanesociety.org/2019/08/ ... dhome-page

As the world looks on in horror at images of Brazil’s Amazon rainforest engulfed in flames, many are asking why this important ecosystem is on fire, and what we can do to put out the flames once and for all. The situation is complex but there is one simple action we can take: we need to dramatically cut our meat consumption.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 22 Sep 2019, 15:27:53

Also, let's not forget about the degradation happening now to Brazil's Cerrado (a mosaic of savannah, grassland and forest) regions, as I dare to point-out that consensus climate models do not capture this climate risk:

The Amazon burns. But another part of Brazil is being destroyed faster

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/22/americas ... index.html

Brazil's Cerrado -- a "mosaic" habitat made up of savannah, grassland and forest -- is the world's most biodiverse such region, and spans around 200 million hectares.

Like in the Amazon, Cerrado habitats are being cleared because of global demand for meat -- to make way for cattle ranches, and later converted to grow soy which is used to feed livestock or exported to other parts of the world.

The destruction of the habitat is also bad news for climate change: the Cerrado, the WWF says, locks up a "deceptively large amount of carbon" in its deep root systems.

"It is a forest in a different way -- it is an upside-down forest, because a lot of the biomass is underground," de Oliviera Rosa told CNN.

In a recent report, Greenpeace suggested that the remaining original vegetation of the region contains a carbon store of equivalent to 13.7 gigatonnes of equivalent carbon dioxide.

(thanks to aslr at asif for link and text)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 22 Sep 2019, 16:01:29

More and more of our guests at Mount Totumas inform us they are vegans and we plan their meals accordingly.

The last meal my wife prepared was a complete hit and even the meat eaters loved it. Vegetable stock cooked with quinoa with sprouted lentils, onions, garlic, corn and sweet peppers. Veggie spring rolls as an appetizer.

The non vegan meat eaters did put some chunks of gouda cheese on it to satisfy their conditioned need of fat but that was a step in the right direction anyway for them.

You can mostly eliminate meat from your diet and reduce dairy and eat really really well.

The main reason to do this is also so you can live longer in order to watch some of the really really bad consequences of climate change happen before you die!
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 22 Sep 2019, 16:16:10

"The main reason to do this is also so you can live longer in order to watch some of the really really bad consequences of climate change happen before you die!"

Yes, many happy benefits! :-D 8O
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby derhundistlos » Tue 24 Sep 2019, 22:40:14

RAINFOREST ON FIRE: On the Front Lines of Bolsonaro's War on the Amazon

The Intercept: 19 July 2019

https://theintercept.com/2019/07/06/bra ... -ranching/
derhundistlos
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ibon » Wed 25 Sep 2019, 03:05:31

derhundistlos wrote:RAINFOREST ON FIRE: On the Front Lines of Bolsonaro's War on the Amazon

The Intercept: 19 July 2019

https://theintercept.com/2019/07/06/bra ... -ranching/

From the article:

In recent years, outlaws with chainsaws, known as land-grabbers, or grileiros, “locusts,” have been cutting deeper into Brazil’s Indigenous territories and other protected forests throughout the Amazon.

Locusts on the front line are the outlaws with chainsaws.
Locusts on the back line are those far away eating heavy meat diets not understanding that their choice has an impact.

Should we change the name from Kudzu Ape to Locust Ape?
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby clif » Wed 25 Sep 2019, 20:24:45

Ibon, locusts are more like what we do to the environment,

at least Kudza makes it's environment habitable for it's species,

at the disadvantage to most others ....

We are more like a locust storm,

devouring everything in site, and hoping mother Nature can restore a balance,

locusts cannot tip the planets balance too far,

we can and might just have already
How cathartic it is to give voice to your fury, to wallow in self-righteousness, in helplessness, in self-serving self-pity.
clif
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby Yonnipun » Thu 26 Sep 2019, 16:09:27

I have to wait one more month and then I can go and donate another pint of blood. The main point is to reduce iron levels that I could eat more meat each and every day. Probably some lives are also saved by my donations.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Thu 26 Sep 2019, 20:29:53

Your probably giving low-quality blood, then, that may be putting its recipients in danger!

The researchers found that consuming high levels of saturated fat was associated with an increase in blood cholesterol, regardless of meat type, and that both types of meat protein resulted in higher blood cholesterol than the non-meat diets.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2019/say ... ects-blood
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Yonnipun » Fri 27 Sep 2019, 00:12:55

dohboi wrote:Your probably giving low-quality blood, then, that may be putting its recipients in danger!

The researchers found that consuming high levels of saturated fat was associated with an increase in blood cholesterol, regardless of meat type, and that both types of meat protein resulted in higher blood cholesterol than the non-meat diets.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2019/say ... ects-blood

Cholesterol myth is busted long time ago. Cholesterol is one of the most important building block of the human organism.Also saturated fat is stable and therefore cooking with it does not create harmful incredients. Vegetable oil, full of omega 6 ( that is pro imflammation) goes rancid the moment it is pressed and the amount of harmful incredients is astonishing when heated. That is also the reason why the meat of fish stays fresh very short time( full of omega 6 and omega 3). My great grandmother was sent to Siberia and she often said to me in the dinner table" boy do not play with the food. You do not know what hunger is". You know she survived there long periods on nothing but potatoes and salt and every time her fingertips started to crack . The moment she got milk and made some butter her fingertips healed quickly.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 27 Sep 2019, 15:10:28

Yeah, yeah...and 'life itself would be impossible without carbon'....

But too much of the wrong kind in the wrong place can still kill ya.

If you insist on eating meat, for your own health, you might consider avoiding processed meat, at least:

" ...regularly eating a small amount of unprocessed red meat (85g, around 3oz) is associated with a 13% increased risk of mortality, while eating a similar amount of processed red meat (a hot dog or two slices of bacon) is associated with a 20% increased risk...

...An increased mortality risk of 20% means your risk of dying over the next year is 20% higher than if you did not eat the processed meat.

...you would expect someone who eats a bacon sandwich every day to live, on average, two years less than someone who does not.

...this is like losing an hour of your life for every bacon sandwich you eat. To put this into context, every time you smoke 20 cigarettes, this will take about five hours off your life."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-28797106

And I should note that I don't have a problem with people eating small amount of (unprocessed) meat--it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on health at low levels, and having a few people eating a modest amount of meat is probably something the planet could survive (if we hadn't already totally fucked it to death :/ ).
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby asg70 » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 09:24:03

Yonnipun wrote:Cholesterol myth is busted long time ago.

Anyone who takes their dietary advice from a site like peakoil.com should reevaluate their life-choices.

HALL OF SHAME:
-Short welched on a bet and should be shunned.
-Frequent-flyers should not cry crocodile-tears over climate-change.
asg70
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby Yonnipun » Sun 29 Sep 2019, 07:03:08

And I should note that I don't have a problem with people eating small amount of (unprocessed) meat--it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on health at low levels, and having a few people eating a modest amount of meat is probably something the planet could survive (if we hadn't already totally fucked it to death :/ ).

I eat a modest amount. About 300g-500 grams of meat per day. I admit that I have too little money to eat more quality meat. I eat industrially fatted pork that is full of omega 6 and it is pro imflammation. I really need to start eating grass fed lamb and beef. In France they combine pork, lamb and beef. Their hearts and blood vessels are one of the best in the world( french paradox). I agree with you with the processed food. It is junk. I am amazed how many people want to go out to eat some crap made by people who earn minimal wage. I almost never eat outside because I see and hear how they process the food. French fries swim in the oil that has not been changed for weeks etc etc. That junk is pure poison.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 29 Sep 2019, 09:18:07

Well, I'm glad we could agree on that, at least.

In general, the poorer you are, the less of a threat you are to the planet.

All that crap about having to be rich to live ecologically is just commercial bullshit.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Cog » Sun 29 Sep 2019, 11:28:36

High fat and protein diets, coupled with fasting, are consistent with our evolutionary biology. The carb rich, plant based diet, is not natural and leads to cancer, diabetes, and obesity.
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 29 Sep 2019, 14:05:24

And I'm glad to say that I can agree also with Cog about the benefits of fasting, if done right.

Am I starting to hear strains of Kumbaya wafting through the forums! :-D
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby dohboi » Tue 01 Oct 2019, 19:58:00

I am deeply disappointed to find that my carnivorous comrades are not jumping up and down for joy over the recent study that claimed to show no ill health effects from eating red meat.

The study was, of course, deeply flawed in many ways, so before any jumping up and down gets going to wildly, people might want to look at this:

Uproar after research claims red meat poses no health risk

One expert says findings by international experts represent ‘egregious abuse of evidence

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... ealth-risk
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Yonnipun » Fri 04 Oct 2019, 12:00:46

I am deeply disappointed to find that my carnivorous comrades are not jumping up and down for joy over the recent study ...

I do not belive in studies. They can prove anything with a suitable " study". I myself belive in common sense. For example think about vegetable oils and the hydrogenation process. The whole process was to find a subtitute for butter which is simply too expensive. Most people buy cheap crap instead of quality products. I myself made a mistake one day and bought cheap apples that where imported from some far away country and after consuming this crap I got a feeling like somebody sticked a knife in my belly.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 04 Oct 2019, 12:32:54

Yes, any SINGLE study on pretty much anything (but especially anything having to do with diet) should be looked on with great skepticism.

But are you saying you don't believe any studies or collection of studies about anything?

...I'm wondering if you accept the 'studies' that find that the earth is a sphere... :)
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 04 Oct 2019, 12:49:40

When you grow your own food or raise your own meat you become sensitized to freshness. Think about how much waste there is in shipping fruit and vegetables from the farthest corners of the world so that consumers globally can buy peaches and asparagus 12 months of the year. These products do taste fake, pushed, harvested for transport. They never really satisfy. It is superficial consumption.

Now contrast that with the anticipation of waiting all year for winter to break and seeing those first spears of asparagus rise out of the dirt shortly after the snow melt, the first tree ripened peach in July whose holy sweetness drips down your chin.... how you waited all year for that moment.

There is a joy in not constantly having anything you want anytime.

This will be one of the early joys of living with constraints, returning to the bliss of anticipation waiting for the seasons to come around to enjoy produce in season.
Ibon
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate