Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Nuclear Power Thread pt 9 (merged)

Discussions of conventional and alternative energy production technologies.

Re: THE Nuclear Power Thread pt 9 (merged)

Unread postby dissident » Sun 23 Jun 2019, 17:58:35

I am excited by new technology, but a lot of these fancy reactors are in the promise-to-build-prototype phase and are a long time away from being deployed commercially.

The US has almost killed off its nuclear reactor industry:

http://energy.mit.edu/research/future-n ... ned-world/

The reactor deployment in the US gets delayed for periods that basically flush out qualified engineers and technicians from the job pool.

Looking for data on construction of reactors around the world, Google returns two bit propaganda about Putin. Rosatom is not shrinking, it is growing in its global order book and has 67% of the global market. The US has the AP-1000 which receives more lip service than actual orders. PDS like TDS is a form of mental deficiency.
dissident
Expert
Expert

Unread postby eclipse » Sun 23 Jun 2019, 19:17:59

I hear you, but there are still a pool of great engineers coming out of the navy and that's Ed Pheil's background. His team have something like 300 years experience between them, and while I've been pushing certain safety features like vitrifying the final fission products waste (for storage for 300 years), he pushes back on price. He wants to store it in dry casks in a bunker under the reactor-park. It's only 300 years!

Also, his reactor could be built sooner rather than later as it is so simple and even though a 'breeder' doesn't reprocess fuel on site so there are no proliferation laws against it. I'm hopeful. But even mass producing CAP1400's could get down to $3 bn per 1400 MW reactor!

Lastly, I'm excited by this thread as it is the first time in years I got notified by email by peakoil.com that there was a reply to this thread. Is notification back? Don't get my hopes up peakoil.com! ;-)
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recharge/
eclipse
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby StarvingLion » Wed 26 Jun 2019, 12:41:33

fancy reactors

There are no fancy reactors. Practically all the fission startups have now gone bankrupt.

Uranium is economically and ecologically useless.

but there are still a pool of great engineers

Actually, the "geniuses" from the useless universities are great at "designing" fission reactors that cannot even be manufactured, nevermind constitute a plausible prototype.

Your MCSFR bullshit is great if you want a reactor that lasts about half a day from corrosion, etc problems. I'm sure stakeholders are eager for something like that in a post-peak world. Even if it did work flawlessly you would require 40 years of proven commercial experience before anyone would commit.

Summary: eclipse is not sane.
Automated Cog Response System: "Stock "Market" is up....You're a doomer"
StarvingLion
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby eclipse » Thu 27 Jun 2019, 01:31:08

The MCSFR is actually less corrosive than the LFTR, and 'salt' on its own is not that corrosive. If there was water in there, there would be a problem. But there isn't. And contrary to your claims, there are plenty of MSR companies working on various prototypes and this industry is just getting started. Edison took 99 light bulbs to find the one that worked, and people are just beginning to get excited by the MSR! Materials science has progressed remarkably since the 1960s and the original MSR test, and the Chinese are pumping REAL money and Phd's into this. Oh, and there are many others if you bothered to read about it. But even these guys admit "Much less is known about chloride-salt reactors, and alloys for those systems will not be explicitly discussed further here."
https://art.inl.gov/ART%20Document%20Li ... ctural.pdf

In other words, maybe we should be taking nuclear engineer Ed Pheil and his professional opinion seriously when he says chlorides are less corrosive than flourides, and stop behaving like a little child throwing a temper tantrum. Oh, and the CAP1400 can get us a few generations until we DO perfect whatever final breeder reactor we go with. There's a LOT of uranium in seawater!

Sorry dude, but I'm listening to state of the art peer reviewed science and you're just spitting bitter because your precious Apocalyptic Outsider cult-like stance is threatened. Changing your signature over little-ol-me? I should be flattered, but attenting seeking internet trolls are a dime a dozen. Do something unexpected and interesting and reply with a more adult tone and data set.
Dr James Hansen recommends breeder reactors that convert nuclear 'waste' into 1000 years of clean energy for America, and can charge all our light vehicles and generate "Blue Crude" for heavy vehicles.
https://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/recharge/
eclipse
Lignite
Lignite

Previous

Return to Energy Technology