Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Peak Sand?

Re: Peak Sand?

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Sun 21 Oct 2018, 16:10:11

Tanada wrote:Still no sign of Peak Sand. Even worse for the doomers the development of alternate types of sand have now reduced the demand for 'premium fracking sand' to the point that demand has actually fallen a little bit despite the boom in additional fracking taking place. Based on the numbers in the article 'Northern White' was 75% of the 61.8 million tons used in 2014 or 46.35 million tons and this year (2018) production is estimated to be 43% of 108 million tons or 46.44 million tons, effectively a distinctions without a difference. IOW the demand from the Permian boom is being met by sand mined in Texas and New Mexico instead the sand being hauled half way across the continent from Wisconsin.

Sand Mining

Thanks for the update Tanada.

For the umpteenth time, while technology is far from perfect, it has and continues to provide a remarkable amount of mitigation, re resource issues -- despite humanity's continuing insistence on BAU growth.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 14:48:35

Funny how when there is financial incentive to produce things, technology tends, once again, to help smart people find a way. Peak sand? Not in the short term.

Texas-Size Glut of Frack Sand Means 19% Drop in Prices

Just a year after rushing into America’s busiest oil field with new mines, frack-sand producers may have overdone it.

West Texas sand used in the hydraulic fracturing process will drop 19 percent this year to about $30 a ton compared to 2018, according to industry consultant Rystad Energy AS. Sand pricing is a key financial input for oil explorers because fracking is the most expensive phase in drilling an oil well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ces-rystad
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Cog » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 15:09:29

We re going to have an ETP'er to come in here and explain the thermodynamics of sand. How could we proceed without their wisdom? ;)
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby coffeeguyzz » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 13:59:27

Cog, please don't give those whack jobs another reason to display their ignorance.

(If only Mr. Short had a computer model to assess Peak Stupidity. Now THAT is something I'd consider shelling out a few bucks to see).
coffeeguyzz
Lignite
Lignite

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 17:18:57

coffeeguyzz wrote:Cog, please don't give those whack jobs another reason to display their ignorance.

(If only Mr. Short had a computer model to assess Peak Stupidity. Now THAT is something I'd consider shelling out a few bucks to see).

We don't need no stinking model! :)

We can just read his theories, and his support for those theories. Dunno if it's peak stupidity, but the word "massive" sure seems to fit.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 00:58:19

Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby rockdoc123 » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 16:11:26

There has been a significant shift from sand or silica proppants towards ceramics or other types. Ceramics as an example have higher yield stress under compression (they don't crush as easily and hence keep fractures open) their size and shape can be controlled such that fracture porosity and permeability are maximized and they are thermally and chemically very stable which means there is little chance of diagenesis which could destroy permeability. Operators tend to use sand because it is currently cheaper but as it becomes more scarce and costs rise there will be further converts to using the alternative proppants.
rockdoc123
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 17:20:30

rockdoc123 wrote:There has been a significant shift from sand or silica proppants towards ceramics or other types. Ceramics as an example have higher yield stress under compression (they don't crush as easily and hence keep fractures open) their size and shape can be controlled such that fracture porosity and permeability are maximized and they are thermally and chemically very stable which means there is little chance of diagenesis which could destroy permeability. Operators tend to use sand because it is currently cheaper but as it becomes more scarce and costs rise there will be further converts to using the alternative proppants.

Ah, technology and viable substitutes to the rescue. Even in a bewilderingly complex world which changes fast enough to make me realize I'm living the "Future Shock" meme more and more frequently, you have to respect technology's ability to help solve problems.

(Fast crash doomer denial incoming in 3, 2, 1, ...)
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate