Re: THE Deforestation Thread pt. 2

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 00:26:27

Thanks, newf and sub.
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby pstarr » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 01:30:07

Subjectivist wrote:Actually this thread is about people destroying forests, not global warming. For someone who claims ecological training the difference is stark and right in your face Pstarr, whats up with that?

When any environmental crisis proves to be solvable, you GW hysterics convert it into a runaway global warming event. Can't do it deforestation. Sorry
"Fortune is of a sluggish growth, but ruin is rapid."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Newfie » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 08:28:38

Pstar,

I don't know if you realize how sensitive you've become. Or if you are intentionally trying to jack folks up. But it was you who drug this into GW.

Ws all get wrapped up now and then and misunderstand or say something silly. Let it go, stuff happens. Try to leave room for disagreement. Try to slow down and make more concrete posts that are less subject to interpretation. Sweeping statements are a wide net for missunderstanding.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 10:39:39

Pstarr,

The way you allow yourself to get hooked means that your organic social network needs some improvement. If you are emotionally getting hooked on a cyber social media site than you need some real friends. Good wholesome real organic friends are excellent buffers against all the bullshit out there. When you show this board how easily you are getting hooked all the time then you are revealing an unfulfilled social life.

THIS APPLIES TO ALOT OF POSTERS ON THIS BOARD!
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pstarr » Sun 19 Feb 2017, 14:45:51

Your guys are right, and I apologize. I am letting the little things bother me.
"Fortune is of a sluggish growth, but ruin is rapid."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Newfie » Tue 21 Feb 2017, 12:13:07

pstarr wrote:Your guys are right, and I apologize. I am letting the little things bother me.

Rare to see that. Thank you for setting an example. :-D

I may need it some times. :-D :-D
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Tue 21 Feb 2017, 22:39:44

I posted this on another thread but it is germane here so will copy and paste it.
Well even the land with a gold mine under it or an oilfield has value that changes with the times and the economy around it. Now if your farmland was deprived of oil derived fertilizer and pesticides along with all the other farmland so that yields dropped would it be worth more or less. The demand for food would be the same at least at first and supply would be very reduced.
I cut an ash tree the other day that had succumbed to the Emerald ash borer infestation. I counted the rings in the butt log and determined it to be 70 years old so it was a bean pole sapling when I was a boy helping my father selectively cut our firewood from this stand. It ended up being 70 feet tall and 30 inches through at the butt and yielded a half cord of firewood. The soil on this slope and brook bottom has never been plowed and is a rich black loam and tree growth is good to excellent. Some of the maples which are the majority species on the slope are a hundred years old or more and yield a nice bit of maple syrup each spring. So not all the land in America is a sterile dust that needs chemicals to yield a crop.
edit to add picture of the woods in summer.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Re: Massive Insect "Die Off" in Europe

Unread postby M_B_S » Mon 22 Oct 2018, 16:38:25

https://thinkprogress.org/insect-collap ... e68123fa8/

Insect decline in rain forest up to 98%
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby vox_mundi » Mon 29 Oct 2018, 18:00:20

Animal Species Becoming Extinct in Haiti as Deforestation Nearly Complete

Species of reptiles, amphibians and other vertebrates are becoming extinct in Haiti as deforestation has claimed more than 99 percent of the country's original wooded areas.

A research collaboration that included two scientists affiliated with Oregon State University found that 42 of Haiti's 50 largest mountains have lost all of their primary forest.

Moreover, mountaintop surveys of vertebrates showed that species are disappearing along with the trees, highlighting the global threat to biodiversity by human causes.
... "Species extinction is usually delayed until the last habitats are gone, but mass extinction appears imminent in a small number of tropical countries with low forest cover," ... "And mass extinction is already happening in Haiti because of deforestation."

Along with the mass extinctions, the findings, published today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, suggest that over the next two decades Haiti will lose all of its remaining primary forest cover.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late.
vox_mundi
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby dohboi » Sun 04 Nov 2018, 08:43:43

Increasing forest fires searing the U.S.:
https://www.carbonbrief.org/factcheck-h ... -wildfires
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate