Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

If You're Not Listening to Chris Martenson...

General discussions of the systemic, societal and civilisational effects of depletion.

Re: If You're Not Listening to Chris Martenson...

Unread postby KaiserJeep » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 05:47:06

Martenson is a huckster for precious metals, and has been for years. PMs are currency, a symbol for value. To me, there is nothing that inherently makes PMs superior to pieces of paper with green ink pictures of dead presidents on them. Both are symbols for real value. Perhaps the PM coins and bars retain value for a few days longer than printed currency, a delusion created by the hucksters, but after a week or so, all currency value symbols are equally worthless. Any other interpretation would be unbearably optimistic. For example, if my food supply was insufficient to satisfy my appetites, I'll trade for other food or other necessities of life, but no form of currency, because symbols for value don't provide any nourishment.

Perhaps you feel differently. Good luck with that.
KaiserJeep 2.0, Neural Subnode 0010 0000 0001 0110 - 1001 0011 0011, Tertiary Adjunct to Unimatrix 0000 0000 0001

Resistance is Futile, YOU will be Assimilated.

Warning: Messages timestamped before April 1, 2016, 06:00 PST were posted by the unmodified human KaiserJeep 1.0
KaiserJeep
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 07:50:31

Well in this Kaiser, you and I totally agree. Hooray. I would add
something that should be obvious but needs repeating: Materially everything that could be of value to us is derived ultimately from our host planet. Our species has acted with wanton disregard to this axiom. Someone said that the prime ultimate was human intellect. This is a fatal hubris
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 08:33:14

Ibon wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:I think you will end up walking to the nearest B&M store that sits next to a rail line to pick up your order you had sent by rail to them with an online order.

I see obesity rates dropping fast. Just how much diet coke can you carry when you have to walk to pick up your supplies :)

I know I am a broken record on the topic but obesity has far more to do with what you eat disrupting your endocrine system (stimulating excess insulin mainly) than lack of exercise. Humans in study after study with a low insulin stimulating diet maintain a stable healthy weight or lose weight to a stable healthy weight without any changes in their exercise levels.
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ibon » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 10:30:46

Tanada wrote:
Ibon wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:I think you will end up walking to the nearest B&M store that sits next to a rail line to pick up your order you had sent by rail to them with an online order.

I see obesity rates dropping fast. Just how much diet coke can you carry when you have to walk to pick up your supplies :)

I know I am a broken record on the topic but obesity has far more to do with what you eat disrupting your endocrine system (stimulating excess insulin mainly) than lack of exercise. Humans in study after study with a low insulin stimulating diet maintain a stable healthy weight or lose weight to a stable healthy weight without any changes in their exercise levels.

That was also my point. You aren't going to be buying processed junk food if you have to walk to pick it up!

There are indigenous families here who haul up their weeks supply of food up the road here. It's full grain dried field corn, rice, beans, a couple pounds of meat, flour, sugar, coffee, salt, oil. They grow onions, potatoes and veggies on their small garden plots. Not a single packaged box or processed food item except for a candy bar or two for their kids.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Outcast_Searcher » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 21:13:56

If oil gets to something like $20 on a sustained basis, the fuel will be predominantly green electricity.

Oops. A few posts ago when I said this, I meant when GASOLINE gets to something like $20 on a sustained basis. i.e. that oil is horrendously expensive.
Given the track record of the perma-doomer blogs, I wouldn't bet a fast crash doomer's money on their predictions.
Outcast_Searcher
COB
COB

Unread postby GHung » Thu 13 Sep 2018, 21:29:52

Outcast_Searcher wrote:
If oil gets to something like $20 on a sustained basis, the fuel will be predominantly green electricity.

Oops. A few posts ago when I said this, I meant when GASOLINE gets to something like $20 on a sustained basis. i.e. that oil is horrendously expensive.

What do you think will happen between current prices and your hypothetical $20 per gallon? Demand destruction won't allow prices to go that high. Maybe Trump will wave his magic golden golf club and bring millions of barrels of affordable green replacements into the market, eh?
Blessed are the Meek, for they shall inherit nothing but their Souls. - Anonymous Ghung Person
GHung
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Previous

Return to Peak Oil Discussion