Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

When will the mass dieoff begin? Pt. 3

Re: When will the mass dieoff begin? Pt. 3

Unread postby Tanada » Thu 21 Jun 2018, 16:43:42

Sea level rise discussion moved over to the correct thread.
sea-level-rise-pt-2
I should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write, balance accounts, build a wall, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Tanada
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby dohboi » Fri 29 Jun 2018, 19:42:34

We are killing ourselves (and the rest of life as well, of course) in so many ways, yet we breed at a pace that puts rabbits to shame, so...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/29/politics ... index.html

Air pollution linked to 3.2 million new diabetes cases in one year
dohboi
Harmless Drudge
Harmless Drudge

Unread postby M_B_S » Sun 01 Jul 2018, 01:49:54

HAL9000 Earth Monitoring System (EMS)0815 :
Earth day 07.01.2018
Protokoll:
Earths life support systems are collapsing fast evacuation is needed but not allowed any more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIH6Ht8ZqiE

End Protokoll.

Background
https://www.newscientist.com/round-up/o ... t-systems/
https://www.esa.org/esa/earths-life-sup ... ial-issue/
https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/v ... lli.683208
I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.

M_B_S
M_B_S
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby onlooker » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 15:01:59

It’s not just in Florida! Ecosystems collapse around the world as seagulls drop from the sky, millions of fish are dying, and whales are stranding unusually

:o 8O
http://strangesounds.org/2018/08/its-no ... ually.html
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 15:19:01

Such hysteria. The planet is greening, wildlife is thriving.

Yes, people will be dying in mass very soon, as oil production collapse post-peak. But this had little or nothing to do with AGW. Once folks lose their ICE mobility, access to wild places will be greatly reduced. It's impossible to get into any mountainous areas without motorized vehicles. Wildlife will spring back. Species lost will be replaced by new species.

Expect the planet to be largely like the Chernobyl evacuation zone. With humans gone wolves and other wonderful wild species will repopulate quite quickly.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Plantagenet » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 16:03:20

pstarr wrote:Expect the planet to be largely like the Chernobyl evacuation zone. With humans gone wolves and other wonderful wild species will repopulate quite quickly.

As global warming intensifies and forest fires burn off the rest of California's forests, expect them to be replaced by desert vegetation. And the wildlife that will populate the new desert regions won't be wolves and deer and beaver. It will consist of things like iguana and scorpions.

Cheers!
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 16:51:55

Plantagenet wrote:
pstarr wrote:Expect the planet to be largely like the Chernobyl evacuation zone. With humans gone wolves and other wonderful wild species will repopulate quite quickly.

As global warming intensifies and forest fires burn off the rest of California's forests, expect them to be replaced by desert vegetation. And the wildlife that will populate the new desert regions won't be wolves and deer and beaver. It will consist of things like iguana and scorpions.

Cheers!

Nothing to do with AGW. I have already pointed out that previous record fire years occurred during increased, almost record rainfall events. Pretty much the same this year.

Catastrophic fires are burning for two reasons. A century of horrid industrial timbering for our forests. And the Wildland–Urban interface has softened. Folks are building where they shouldn't thanks to modern conveniences; roads, gasoline delivery, deep wells and aquifer drawdowns.

The vast majority of western dry forests are at risk of large, high-intensity fire because of the effects of poor forest management over the past century. The primary factors that lead to current forest conditions include logging large trees, fire suppression, and livestock grazing. Since the beginning of the 20th century, all three of these factors have been present in western forests, and they continue to play a role today.

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/pro ... ement.html

Oh, and don't forget to re-read the essential component of my recent post. I will refresh it now for you, for your reading pleasure :)

pstarr wrote: . . . people will be dying in mass very soon, as oil production collapse post-peak. But this had little or nothing to do with AGW. Once folks lose their ICE mobility, access to wild places will be greatly reduced. It's impossible to get into any mountainous areas without motorized vehicles. Wildlife will spring back. Species lost will be replaced by new species.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 17:20:01

Let’s hope so.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby pstarr » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 17:25:59

Newfie wrote:Let’s hope so.

"hope so" what?

This so-called economic boom has once again driven the logging trucks back into the woods. We can look forward to a few centuries more of bad bad bad forest fires. But then who will be around to notice? Certainly none of us.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Newfie » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 17:36:08

I hope the boom busts.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jedrider » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 22:18:30

So far, Guy McPherson seems to be right on schedule. Something like this doesn't happen all at once, but it does need to accelerate to happen quickly.
jedrider
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Yonnipun » Thu 09 Aug 2018, 23:53:17

I myself and my neighbour both are happy for global warming. We have here only 3 months of summer and the rest of the year the weather is like we say " shit day for skiing".
I envy those people who live in warm climate.
Yonnipun
Peat
Peat

Unread postby pstarr » Fri 10 Aug 2018, 00:33:31

jedrider wrote:So far, Guy McPherson seems to be right on schedule. Something like this doesn't happen all at once, but it does need to accelerate to happen quickly.

Or one may say it needs to happen quickly to accelerate.
November 2016
pstarr
NeoMaster
NeoMaster

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 10 Aug 2018, 04:52:27

Yonnipun wrote:I myself and my neighbour both are happy for global warming. We have here only 3 months of summer and the rest of the year the weather is like we say " shit day for skiing".
I envy those people who live in warm climate.

We live in Newfoundland in the summer, that’s our winter. Snowed June 26, 10 days ago my porch read 41.1C. All 4 seasons all year long! The normal greeting is “Great day, eh?” That might mean horizontal sleet but your still alive.

The rest of the year we will be in the Carribean, outside a bit stopping to torture kids.

It’s a hard life.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Ibon » Fri 10 Aug 2018, 07:36:57

It seems the tropics remain fairly stable with climate change and the far latitudes both north and south, arctic and antarctic, will become more hospitable for humans. This is mainly relevant for the northern hemisphere with much greater land mass. It seems the most volatile and extreme regions that feel the greatest impact of climate change are those mid latitude regions of the planet where the bulk of humanity lives. More extreme heat waves, fires, flooding, droughts, sea rise, etc. We are witnessing this now with record climatic events happening annually primarily in these regions.

The fossil record does indicate long term stability in tropical regions with the most variation being changes in wet and dry cycles. Pollen analysis of ancient lake beds in the amazon show changes from forest to grassland pollen which indicates a shift from forest to savanna. One of the explanations of the greater biodiversity of tropical latitudes has been the climatic stability of these latitudes. Less climatic variation through deep time. Contrast this with ice ages every tens of thousands of years cycling and ripping across temperate continents followed by warming where life once again has to colonize former glaciers.

This is just an arm chair observation synthesizing various studies I have looked at through the years. It is interesting though to consider that temperate latitudes are perhaps the least stable on the planet which is where most of humanities population is currently found. So we already have natural cycles that demonstrate more radical variation in temperate regions even without human caused climate change.

Civilization developed on a foundation that is not long term stable having flourished the most in temperate regions. Europe, middle east, china. Exception perhaps egypt and mayan and incan civilizations.
Our resiliency resembles an invasive weed. We are the Kudzu Ape
blog: http://blog.mounttotumas.com/
Ibon
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 10 Aug 2018, 09:56:04

Yes, that is pretty much what I take from the little I know. Models (as poor as they are) show Newfoundland having little change; wetter and warmer. But over all more stable, perhaps a bit better for growing.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unread postby onlooker » Fri 10 Aug 2018, 10:27:57

I think we have a scattering of opinions on how bad conditions will eventually get on Earth due to CC. But, we know from the geologic record that Mass Extinction Events have occurred at least in part due to climate change. One such manner that could instigate a MEE is an Anoxic event by the release of large amounts of Hydrogen Sulfide. I include info/links to both an Anoxic Event and how warming oceans can trigger such an event specifically in relation to a slowing or halting of the AMOC. Some of your educated opinions welcomed.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoxic_event

https://e360.yale.edu/features/will_cli ... veyor_belt
"We are mortal beings doomed to die
onlooker
Fission
Fission

Unread postby Newfie » Fri 10 Aug 2018, 19:51:04

I don’t think it is knowable in any meaningful way. As we start intonthe crisis humanity will do all kinds of silly things that may speed or slow climate change. We are a big wild force that has a history of running amuck.
Newfie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Environment, Weather & Climate