Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The Unlikely Convergence of Russia, Iran, and Turkey

For discussions of events and conditions not necessarily related to Peak Oil.

The Unlikely Convergence of Russia, Iran, and Turkey

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 16:44:48

Although the three-nation summit did not get much press in the West, its emergence is a signal, albeit a quiet one, that Eurasia’s geopolitical landscape is undergoing major changes.

On February 14, 2019, leaders from three of Eurasia’s major powers met at Russia’s Black Sea resort of Sochi to discuss Syria. In attendance were the host, President Vladimir Putin, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani. While Syria was the main focus of the meeting, the summit represents an important development in Eurasian affairs, the increasing convergence of national interests between Iran, Russia and Turkey.

Although the three nation summit did not get much press in the West, its emergence is a signal, albeit a quiet one, that Eurasia’s geopolitical landscape is undergoing major changes as traditional rivals are more inclined to work together to achieve common goals in an anti-Western, pro-autocratic and quite possibly a cautious-toward-China policy mix. This is significant as Eurasia appears to be where the major geopolitical drama of the twenty-first century is playing out, a massive chessboard with plenty of moving pieces. No doubt the Sultans, Shahs and Tsars of the pre-1914 world would have recognized the dangers of a fluid geopolitical landscape.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Re: The Unlikely Convergence of Russia, Iran, and Turkey

Unread postby Cog » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 16:54:58

Does this mean we can kick Turkey out of NATO now?
Cog
Fusion
Fusion

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 17:18:00

Yes, once we find a place to base our nuclear weapons that are housed there. That should be the priority.
"For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it." - Patrick Henry

The level of injustice and wrong you endure is directly determined by how much you quietly submit to. Even to the point of extinction.
Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 17:32:27

I can't see this potential alliance between Russia, Iran and Turkey going anywhere. They might coordinate their actions in Syria, but I can't see much happening beyond that.

Iran is Shia. Turkey is Sunni.

Its like cats and dogs.

Shia and Sunni extremists both think the other side are apostate scum who should be exterminated, and this causes problems for any partnership or alliance between Sunni and Shia states.

Cheers!
"Its a brave new world"
---President Obama, 4/25/16
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Unread postby Cid_Yama » Wed 20 Feb 2019, 18:29:14

On February 14, 2019, leaders from three of Eurasia’s major powers met at Russia’s Black Sea resort of Sochi to discuss Syria. In attendance were the host, President Vladimir Putin, Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani.

Sometimes practical considerations trump ideology. Especially when coordinated by someone with a big stick.

Cid_Yama
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby vtsnowedin » Thu 21 Feb 2019, 18:41:18

Cid_Yama wrote:Sometimes practical considerations trump ideology. Especially when coordinated by someone with a big stick.

When it comes to the Muslim sects I think examples of that are few and far between.
vtsnowedin
Fission
Fission

Return to Geopolitics & Global Economics