Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Latin America is home to 41 of the 50 most dangerous cities

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Latin America is home to 41 of the 50 most dangerous cities

Unread postby C8 » Sat 30 Jan 2016, 22:23:06

The 50 most violent cities in the world are revealed, with 21 of them in Brazil... but Venezuela's capital Caracas is named the most deadly

Latin America is home to 41 of the 50 most dangerous cities in the world
Caracas in Venezuela is now the most violent, according to homicide rate
Drug trafficking, gang wars, political instability and corruption are blamed
U.S. cities St Louis, Baltimore, Detroit and New Orleans are also named

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3ymaskwc2

A lot of folks think that the massive violence in Latin America is just due to drugs and gun trade to the US. But there is a lot more to it than that. Canada doesn't have this level of violence- and they sell drugs to the US too (notably the Northeast cities). Brazil is very far from the US drug trade and has incredible levels of violence. Violence is a huge part of Latin American culture- as are gangs.

This culture of corruption and violence is held together by an elaborate construct of players:

1. a community that is hostile to police and loyal to gangs- a community that covers for killers
2. police that are corrupt and often on the payroll of gangs
3. a cultural lack of interest in education or learning that would produce reformers (L. America produces few scientific discoveries and the schools are generally terrible)
4. a dominant church that gives out sin forgiveness and prevents birth control- thus leading to overpopulation, poverty, and crime. A church that opposes real education which would lead to people questioning its authority.
5. a general cultural lack of optimism and idealism and a low value of life (as evidenced by the morbid celebrations of the death in festivals)

Culture is a very hard thing to change- Latin America is very a self destructive culture. Much of it may be a descendant of the mass sacrifice culture of bloodthirsty tribes (Aztecs, Incas, etc.). Much of Latin America is still mired in mass death as a way of life and people mark themselves as warriors to their tribes still today

As poverty and overpopulation continue to explode there is little else for many to do but come North to the US- and they will bring their culture as well.

Sadly, I got a first hand look at this when a nice Mexican teen I knew was found in a park murdered recently. These gangs don't play around. This is an issue that will not get better if it is denied or those who raise it are just called racist. We have to make this a part of the national conversation as immigration changes the US. There is something deadly about Latin American culture.
C8
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Re: Latin America is home to 41 of the 50 most dangerous cit

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 31 Jan 2016, 00:52:10

I agree Kate, for two reasons, & I believe it has a specific Spanish flavour from my experience with Spanish mixed race people in the Philippines. My wife is genetically half Spanish, 1/4 indigenous Malay 1/4 Taiwanese aboriginal & she is & her whole family is absolutely wild by my family's standards, crazy, but where she is from they are just normal upper middle class- introducing the new foreigner to the family with- introductions to- police hit men, local government people willing to sign virtually any document for a bottle of imported brandy & a carton of smokes, an array of trans gendered folks in various positions in power etc etc- at my wedding. Also I keep track of ultraviolence globally & Brazil particularly is hideously violent. Google Da Silva & Murder & see what results you get-
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Re: Latin America is home to 41 of the 50 most dangerous cit

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sun 31 Jan 2016, 01:20:15

C8 wrote:This is an issue that will not get better if it is denied or those who raise it are just called racist.

Yep. I've posted about this before, about the drug cartels in Mexico and the danger of that spilling over the border into Texas and the other border states, and beyond.

I'm not too aware of how things are in Texas and Arizona etc., but those would be the canaries in the coalmine to watch. If things start flying apart there, then people elsewhere should take note of it.

It's just how things are, in Mexico and latin America. Corruption, the drug cartels, then a nexus between the cartels and government. Crime, out of control.

Also -- the US gov really ought to get more involved in Mexico and central america. The Mexican government actually does need help with it. They can't handle it all on their own. Back in the 80s, there was more cooperation with the Reagan administration and governments down there, to go after drug cartels.

If a new US president made it a priority, then these governments would invite American help.

Lastly -- I would say to conservatives though, that you do have to start thinking about poverty in the USA. It has to be addressed, with a higher minimum wage and / or getting the real economy booming and jobs and higher wages. The more poverty there is then the more problems we're going to wind up having, like south america does.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Return to South America Discussion