Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

THE Brazil Thread pt 2 (merged)

A forum for discussion of regional topics including oil depletion but also government, society, and the future.

Re: The Last Great Black Hope

Unread postby Homesteader » Sun 20 Apr 2008, 10:19:33

Excellent read.
Homesteader
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby zoidberg » Sun 20 Apr 2008, 14:55:50

Ha! I thought it would be about Obama.
zoidberg
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

Unread postby sameu » Sun 20 Apr 2008, 15:06:46

lol :-p
sameu
Tar Sands
Tar Sands

THE Brazil Thread pt 2 (merged)

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 20:44:02

lorenzo wrote:Well, demographers, sociologists and economists see declining populations as a serious threat, because it means humans will not be able to sustain modernity, which is based on a stable population pyramid (enough kids, a bulge of adults, and a small group of old people).

This is kind of like a rich wife going through a divorce saying she needs x amount of money in alimony because that's the lifestyle she's become accustomed to. To her, I say "get a f*cking job!" You just can't have a one-way population curve going upwards and justify it by saying disturbances to the demographic mix threaten "modernity". It's just not as bad as the FUD would indicate. In the end I'd take carrying capacity over "modernity" anyway.
mos6507

Re: Wow, Brazil's population to decline from 2035 onwards

Unread postby VMarcHart » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 20:51:34

lorenzo wrote:...demographers, sociologists and economists see declining populations as a serious threat because...
Since you're neither ... I rest my case.
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby StuckInPhilly » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 21:01:27

lorenzo wrote:Well, demographers, sociologists and economists see declining populations as a serious threat, because it means humans will not be able to sustain modernity, which is based on a stable population pyramid (enough kids, a bulge of adults, and a small group of old people).
If we lose our capacity to sustain modernity, we lose our ability to do what we were made to do, that is, gain knowledge, practise science, invent technologies, - so we can leave this earth and explore the cosmos.

I can't imagine who these people are since an modern lifestyles (what I assume you mean by mordernity) have no connection to a growing population. A decreasing population is actually much, much better for an economy. Larger populations hold no promise for increased knowledge, technology or science. More people does not equal more Einsteins.
“In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy.”
[Fran Lebowitz
StuckInPhilly
Peat
Peat

Unread postby mos6507 » Wed 08 Oct 2008, 23:39:53

StuckInPhilly wrote:Larger populations hold no promise for increased knowledge, technology or science. More people does not equal more Einsteins.

Partly because the dummies do most of the reproducing (the idiocracy phenomenon).
mos6507

Unread postby lorenzo » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 12:42:15

mos6507 wrote:This is kind of like a rich wife going through a divorce saying she needs x amount of money in alimony because that's the lifestyle she's become accustomed to. To her, I say "get a f*cking job!" You just can't have a one-way population curve going upwards and justify it by saying disturbances to the demographic mix threaten "modernity". It's just not as bad as the FUD would indicate. In the end I'd take carrying capacity over "modernity" anyway.

I understand what you're trying to say, but the fact is that Modernity is the best way to manage both high population levels and stresses on natural resources, while at the same time evolving to societies that discover the secrets of nature.
Modernity is efficient and hands us the tools to reduce our impact on the environment, while at the same time developing the technologies and knowledge needed to leave Earth.
Pre-modernity is less of a burden on the environment, but it does not contribute to the kind of science and technology we need to fulfil our destiny.
The Beginning is Near!
lorenzo
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Unread postby mos6507 » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 13:31:57

lorenzo wrote:Pre-modernity is less of a burden on the environment, but it does not contribute to the kind of science and technology we need to fulfill our destiny.

It's not a good approach to push headlong towards a population bomb with the excuse being that our sheer numbers will provide enough geniuses to bail us out before the bomb explodes. I don't want to see my toys go away anymore than you do, but I don't see why we can't maintain enough modernity with 1/10th or less our current population. I don't see how having computers and other modern conveniences are dependent on a global population of 7+ billion people.
mos6507

Unread postby VMarcHart » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 13:42:52

lorenzo wrote:Pre-modernity is less of a burden on the environment, but it does not contribute to the kind of science and technology we need to fulfill our destiny.
And what would that destiny be?
On 9/29/08, cube wrote: "The Dow will drop to 4,000 within 2 years". The current tally is 239 bold predictions, 9 right, 96 wrong, 134 open. If you've heard here, it's probably wrong.
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Devin » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:38:52

Man, imagine my shock when I read this thread -- I didn't even realize I had a destiny, let alone that lorenzo would be the one to enlighten me. :lol:

I do expect Brazil's population will be declining long before 2035, however. :roll:
Devin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:42:47

Now, Devin, didn't you know your destiny is to conquer the stars and achieve godlike powers?
Ludi

Unread postby VMarcHart » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:45:52

Ludi wrote:...didn't you know your destiny is to conquer the stars and achieve godlike powers?
I have a lot of prep to do then. :)
VMarcHart
Heavy Crude
Heavy Crude

Unread postby Devin » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:48:17

Man, do I really have to conquer the stars? This destiny sucks, I want a refund.
Devin
Peat
Peat

Unread postby Ludi » Thu 09 Oct 2008, 14:51:46

Personally, I'm way too lazy to live up to a destiny like that...
Ludi

Brazilian President Wants to Invest in Biofuel in Africa

Unread postby Ache » Wed 26 Nov 2008, 00:29:14

Ache
Lignite
Lignite

Re: Brazilian President Wants to Invest in Biofuel in Afric

Unread postby JustaGirl » Wed 26 Nov 2008, 00:35:58

Interesting article. It probably won't pan out & is mostly BS, but I thought this was an interesting quote..

"We do not want European countries to dismantle their agricultural structure in order to plant sugarcane. We want them to invest in biofuel production in impoverished countries that have land available, such as the African countries,"

Seems like a lot of countries can't wait to get their dibs on Africa, China now Brazil. We want to use impoverished countries to countinue the party in 1st world countries? :(
JustaGirl
Lignite
Lignite

Re: THE Brazil Thread (merged)

Unread postby eXpat » Fri 28 Nov 2008, 13:46:56

Petrobras run out of little change:
Petrobras Cash Shortage Led to Tax Loan
Nov. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Petroleo Brasileiro SA was forced to borrow 2 billion reais ($881 million) from Brazilian state-owned discount bank Caixa Economica Federal as it faced “momentary difficulty” paying taxes, Energy Minister Edison Lobao said.

Petrobras, as the state-controlled oil company is known, said record profit in the third quarter resulted in a 11.4 billion-real tax bill in October, about 5 percent more than the 10.8 billion reais of cash it had on hand at the end of September, the Rio de Janeiro-based company said in a note on the Brazilian security regulator’s Web site.

“There were taxes that Petrobras had to pay that they really shouldn’t have had to pay because they weren’t generated by operating profit but by the strengthening of the dollar,” Lobao told reporters in Brasilia. “The company had to take money out of its cash holding to pay the taxes.”

Petrobras, which has spent more than 20 billion reais on investment so far this year and paid $6.2 billion in dividends, may also have had to borrow money from state-controlled Banco do Brasil SA to meet its obligations, Senator Tasso Jereissati said in a telephone interview.

Jereissati, a member of the opposition Social Democracy Party, plans to call hearings on how the company has “working- capital problems.” As recently as August, Petrobras said it would likely increase a $112 billion 2008-2012 expansion plan

Break Limit

The Caixa loan may have caused the company to break a 13.6 billion real domestic borrowing limit imposed as part of government controls on spending by state-owned and state- controlled companies, Jereissati said. That forced Brazil’s national monetary council to lift the limit on Petrobras yesterday.

“If they broke the limit then they were dealing with an emergency,” Jereissati said.

The cash-flow problems may also have forced Petrobras to delay payments to suppliers over the last 30 days, Jereissati said. Petrobras officials weren’t immediately available to respond to Jereissati’s comments.

Bloomberg
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
George Bernard Shaw

You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand
eXpat
Intermediate Crude
Intermediate Crude

Credit dries up for Brazilian farmers, crop declines ahead

Unread postby Sixstrings » Sat 29 Nov 2008, 22:58:28

The global credit crunch is slowing Brazil's roaring agricultural sector -- at a time when more food, not less, is needed around the world.

Unlike in the U.S., where farmers depend on loans from private banks and the government, Brazilian farmers get as much as 40% of their financing from agriculture companies. That could drop to as low as 25% this year, according to M.V. Pratini de Moraes, a former Brazil agriculture secretary.

"Every company is trying to secure as much cash as it can [to withstand] the longer-term effects of the credit crisis," says Stefano Rettore, general manager at CHS Brazil, a major grain-trading company. "That's leaving less cash available to finance Brazilian agriculture."

The squeeze is expected to contribute to a 2% drop in Brazilian soybean production for the 2008-2009 crop year, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department.

Farm-equipment maker Deere & Co., of Moline, Ill., forecast Wednesday that farm-equipment sales in South America will fall as much as 20% next year, partly due to "the difficult credit situation in Brazil," said Susan Karlix, Deere's manager of investor communications, on an investor call. link

Hello, higher prices and shortages on sugar..
Last edited by Ferretlover on Fri 13 Feb 2009, 17:40:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with THE Brazil Thread.
Sixstrings
Fusion
Fusion

Next

Return to South America Discussion