Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

Website idea

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

Website idea

Unread postby PaulK » Sun 19 Aug 2012, 06:03:22

So, I've had this idea for a website for a while now and I was wondering if something like it already exists or not. The basic idea is that it's a natural resource countdown clock, the site would contain an overview of all of the mines/wells of a given natural resource on a map, clicking on one of these would display more detailed information like a general description, it's expected contents, extracted contents, depletion rate. The total amount of existing production/expected production could then be mapped against the current use of the resource to give something of a countdown clock to depletion (kind of like the gmail space clock which increases per second, this clock would decrease per second). I think this could be a great reference and possible learning tool for anyone interested in the subject.

The only thing stopping me is that I don't know if such a site has already been built or not, I wouldn't to spend time working on something only to find out someone has already built such a site. A quick google query hasn't really lead to much, but I was hoping that since you guys are insiders you might know. Any feedback regarding the usefulness of such a site would also be greatly appreciated!
PaulK
Wood
Wood

Re: Website idea

Unread postby Pops » Sun 19 Aug 2012, 08:47:13

Keith posted this site which is kind of interesting.

Thing is, years of supply is probably less certain today than it was just a couple of years ago due to the great fracking musical chairs game being played out. TOD has a couple of recent articles on reserve numbers lately, on BPs numbers, and KSA reserves. And of course demand destruction.

But to answer your question, no, I haven't seen a site with countdown clocks. :)
The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities.
-- Abraham Lincoln, Fragment on Government (July 1, 1854)
Pops
Elite
Elite

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Sun 19 Aug 2012, 09:20:41

Would perhaps make a cool green/yuppie/EMo app thingy for the right set of nerds. If it goes big you could make some bucks. You got to sell a pretty nifty gizmo for about 30-50 cents a pop. If 10 million buy one, you pay off your debts and the tax man and still walk away with a mansion or 2 and a world trip. Worth a shot I reckon.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Unread postby Keith_McClary » Sun 19 Aug 2012, 21:28:22

Here is something like that for population. Looks like the slider should change the time, but doesn't work for me.

Found this with google images.

It would be cool to show circles representing reserves expanding with time and concentric circles representing cumulative production.
Facebook knows you're a dog.
Keith_McClary
Light Sweet Crude
Light Sweet Crude

Unread postby PaulK » Tue 21 Aug 2012, 05:52:28

Thanks for the interesting links guys, they've given me some additional ideas. I think I'll just start out with something small and build form there, that way I can see if there's any interest for this kind of site empirically.

@SeaGypsy, it's not really about the money, it's more of an idealistic thing, though I wouldn't mind the scenario you described either :P
PaulK
Wood
Wood

Unread postby SeaGypsy » Tue 21 Aug 2012, 06:01:19

I have been thinking, it would be nifty. Remaining resources app with clocks for each key resource plus scenario adjustments built in, so it's not just info, but a toy peeps can try out their own ideas on.
SeaGypsy
Master Prognosticator
Master Prognosticator

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models