Donate Bitcoin

Donate Paypal

PeakOil is You

PeakOil is You

The CIA's 1978 Prediction Regarding World Oil Supplies

Discuss research and forecasts regarding hydrocarbon depletion.

The CIA's 1978 Prediction Regarding World Oil Supplies

Unread postby Bill Hicks » Wed 29 Jun 2011, 20:22:47

http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2 ... 80%94-1978

I wrote this piece for the Energy Bulletin demonstrating that the CIA had a pretty good idea how much oil was available all the way back in 1978. Here is a snippet:

My heightened awareness is likely also the reason why I still have vivid memories of a headline that appeared in our local small town newspaper one day several years after those gas lines had abated. The headline read in stark simplicity: “60 to 90 Years' Supply of Oil Left,” and it really grabbed this thirteen-year-old’s attention. Being a thoughtful youth, I did a quick mental calculation and realized that if the headline was accurate it meant if I was lucky there was a chance I would not live to see the end of the oil age.

Flash forward to middle age, and while researching this article I unearthed a reference to what it was that generated that headline from so many years ago. According to a Time magazine story published in October 1978, the source of that “60 to 90 year” figure was an official report produced for the Central Intelligence Agency by Richard Nehring, a policy analyst for the Rand Corporation. The Time article, entitled “Oil: What’s Left Out There?” centered on two basic questions: “How much oil does the world have left?” and “When will it run out?”

These were hotly debated topics at the time. The article points out that President Jimmy Carter, in his drive to get an energy program through Congress, had been relying on a previous CIA analysis estimating that world oil supplies would be depleted by the end of the 1980s. Nehring’s report, therefore, represented a considerable change from the agency’s previous thinking on the issue and also had important political ramifications.

What strikes me looking back in hindsight is just how accurate Nehring’s prediction has turned out to be. It is now nearly 33 years later, and the general consensus among peak oil analysts today is that the world has something on the order of 35-40 years of remaining oil supplies at current consumption rates (putting aside the fact that production rates will no doubt fall well before then). Add those two figures together and the headline that grabbed my attention when I was a kid will hit almost the exact middle of its 60-90 year target range.
Check out The Downward Spiral (A Requiem for the American Dream):

http://billhicksisdead.blogspot.com/
Bill Hicks
Peat
Peat

Re: The CIA's 1978 Prediction Regarding World Oil Supplies

Unread postby Plantagenet » Wed 29 Jun 2011, 22:38:45

The Club of Rome reached the same conclusion even earlier with their famous "Limits to Growth" study, published in 1972.

But our government has a solution to the energy problem....we've got the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and a president who isn't afraid to use it!
Never underestimate the ability of Joe Biden to f#@% things up---Barack Obama
-----------------------------------------------------------
Keep running between the raindrops.
Plantagenet
Expert
Expert

Re: The CIA's 1978 Prediction Regarding World Oil Supplies

Unread postby Daniel_Plainview » Wed 29 Jun 2011, 23:26:22

It is now nearly 33 years later, and the general consensus among peak oil analysts today is that the world has something on the order of 35-40 years of remaining oil supplies at current consumption rates (putting aside the fact that production rates will no doubt fall well before then).

Except that most "peak oil analysts" focus on when oil production peaks, not when oil supplies run out.

Daniel_Plainview
Prognosticator
Prognosticator

Location: 7035 Hollis ... Near the Observatory ... Just down the way, tucked back in the small woods

Return to Peak oil studies, reports & models